Any tips for charging in the snow

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with AC charging overnight outside when it is snowing?

Any issues with snow in the charge port

Just wipe off the snow in the morand the door will close? I read somewhere the charge ports are heated. Don’t know if it is correct.

Cover the cable with something ? A towel attached under the hood? Buy something special. Saw some magnetic socs that can be installed around the charge port. They cost around 25 euro on Amazon. Not really expensive. A simple towel is easier en cheaper.

I have seen many Scandinavian and Canadian owners. I hope someone can give some tips.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I’m neither Scandinavian nor Canadian, but I charged the car plenty of times in snowstorms - whether daylong at ski resorts or overnight at mountain cabins. For the latter, it was with the PMC+ set to 50%, plugged outside into a (covered) outlet and no other precautions. The charging port is meant to be exposed to inclement conditions, and indeed - just brush off in the morning, unplug and get going. (Mine’s the “manual”, spring-loaded cover, not the electric kind.)

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
You don't have to worry about charging in any type of weather, really. The charge port cover can get quite dirty to touch or even ice shut a bit, which can be annoying, but that's it. There are no dangers using the charger or anything of that nature.

abatis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have had zero problems going through 2 winters in Montana. Plug in and charge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I’m neither Scandinavian nor Canadian, but I charged the car plenty of times in snowstorms - whether daylong at ski resorts or overnight at mountain cabins. For the latter, it was with the PMC+ set to 50%, plugged outside into a (covered) outlet and no other precautions. The charging port is meant to be exposed to inclement conditions, and indeed - just brush off in the morning, unplug and get going. (Mine’s the “manual”, spring-loaded cover, not the electric kind.)
Have you ever had your car covered in ice? It's never happened to me, but I have seen pictures of Teslas covered in ice with frozen charge ports. Tesla since added heating to charge ports, but given that Taycan doesn't even have heated windshield wiper nozzles, I'm going to guess no heating in the charge port either.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not snow, but my manual passenger side charge port has had issues when it's cold/icy the last two winters.

The door 'catch' has frozen open so you can't click it shut properly after charging.

It let's you drive ok (surprisingly) with the door slightly ajar/resting closed, then after it's warmed up it closes fine.

I will cover it overnight charging this year if it's going to be freezing rain.

Update. Just ordered a magnetic cover off Amazon mentioned above.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It will be fine for both fast charging:

Porsche Taycan Any tips for charging in the snow IMG_6689

And slow:

Porsche Taycan Any tips for charging in the snow IMG_9142

You might find you have to swipe your had a few times along the touch sensitive panel for the door to open – but eventually it will. That would have been better as a button but I try to get into the habit of opening it via the panel inside.

The door motors have been explicitly designed to increase their torque and vibrate to crack any ice that may have formed over the door. I have never experienced it fail to open.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It will be fine for both fast charging:

IMG_6689.jpeg

And slow:

IMG_9142.jpg

You might find you have to swipe your had a few times along the touch sensitive panel for the door to open – but eventually it will. That would have been better as a button but I try to get into the habit of opening it via the panel inside.

The door motors have been explicitly designed to increase their torque and vibrate to crack any ice that may have formed over the door. I have never experienced it fail to open.
Thx ! I was also thinking about a failure to close after charging over night when it is snowing. Is it a problem when the snow piles up around the cable and in the opening?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Thx ! I was also thinking about a failure to close after charging over night when it is snowing. Is it a problem when the snow piles up around the cable and in the opening?
I've never noticed any snow or ice accumulation in there after charging.
Sponsored