Auto lock when leaving car?

unbiased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Country flag
Got the GTS few days ago. My BMW had a feature where the car would unlock when approaching and lock when leaving. On the Taycan it unlocks when approaching, is there a feature that locks the car automatically when leaving the car? Couldn't find anything in settings.
Sponsored

Svaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Model S
Country flag
New Taycan owner as well. Had the same question and saw some conflicting responses in this forum with at least one member reporting his car self locked but I think that’s an anomaly. At least we have an answer.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
New Taycan owner as well. Had the same question and saw some conflicting responses in this forum with at least one member reporting his car self locked but I think that’s an anomaly. At least we have an answer.
There should be no ambiguity here. When you get out of the car and walk away, it will NOT lock itself. That feature does not exist in the Taycan.

However, if your car is already locked and you unlock it by walking past with the key fob or pressing unlock, but you don’t actually open a door, it will automatically re-lock itself after about 60 seconds.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There should be no ambiguity here. When you get out of the car and walk away, it will NOT lock itself. That feature does not exist in the Taycan.

However, if your car is already locked and you unlock it by walking past with the key fob or pressing unlock, but you don’t actually open a door, it will automatically re-lock itself after about 60 seconds.
Do you know how well it locks, ie does the alarm feature turn on.

I have seen my car retract the handles and it sounds like it locks, but it does not fold in the mirrors! So is it properly closed down and lock?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Do you know how well it locks, ie does the alarm feature turn on.

I have seen my car retract the handles and it sounds like it locks, but it does not fold in the mirrors! So is it properly closed down and lock?
If you want to easily test it, lock the car as normal, hand the key to someone and have them walk away, then you try the trunk and each door.
Will the car lock with a window down? If so, do the same and then reach inside to see if that activates the alarm.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Will try that

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Reading these responses is confusing, I have a 22 RWD and it works both ways for me. When I approach it unlocks. If I get out of the car with the fob and walk away the car turns off and locks.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reading these responses is confusing, I have a 22 RWD and it works both ways for me. When I approach it unlocks. If I get out of the car with the fob and walk away the car turns off and locks.
No, it does not lock when you walk away. The handles retract, but it is unlocked still.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
No, it does not lock when you walk away. The handles retract, but it is unlocked still.
That is definitely my experience..gotta admit, tho, my wife is confused because she (like many others) assumes that door handles in closed position=locked.
I set my mirrors to retract when the car is locked so that is the ONLY thing I look for.
The "locking" behavior of this car definitely can cause confusion.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I stand corrected, I just went out and tried it. The car does turn off and handles go in but it does not lock.

Sorry!
All good, now you know and your car will be safer.

SuperAman

First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Related to locking; if I park my car in my garage and don’t lock it, as mentioned above, the handles go in but the car doesn’t lock. How do I get the handles to come back out if I want to get something from the car when I don’t have the keys on me?
Sponsored