JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was an earlier thread Anyone plan to keep their Taycan long term (8+ years) which had a helpful discussion on the battery but left some details open. As the battery is the single most important component of the car and is probably the least known component to the average person, it makes sense to have a better understanding of what you are dealing with.

From the warranty booklet (which probably no one reads until you want to make a claim and your lawyer asks for it), and in particular the following (from the Canadian warranty book, I think it’s similar to the US). I am referring to wear and tear and not a failure due to materials or labor.

Excessive loss of capacity (paraphrased)
  • 100% of net battery capacity(1) at the time of … handover
  • 80% of net battery within 3 year or 50,000 km
  • 70% of net battery within 8 year or 130,00 km
(1) I assume net battery capacity means for the P+ battery 87.4 kWhr.

Now these are broad ranges, and you really have to drive the shit out the car to go below these. Making the warranty kind of worthless for wear and tear. But if you own your car and want to keep it for the long term with good range, then you have to follow all the battery care suggestions. And if you are buying a used Taycan, you absolutely must have the battery capacity measured at time or purchase.

These questions occurred.
  • When you take delivery of your car is there a record of the net battery capacity at that time? Did we actually get the 87.4 kWhr we paid for, (would help eliminate the possibility of getting a turkey) when we take delivery? There is certainly an implied warranty that we are getting this but if there isn't a piece of paper you could start out with a crap battery, still in spec.
  • Are there battery specs, these would have to come from Porsche, against which the battery is measured over time with more details than the warranty book has? There has to be something more because range is dependent on temperature and that is not discussed in the book and temperature could put you out of spec really fast.
  • Does anyone know how the battery capacity is measured by the dealer when tested? Battery tests I am familiar with involve charging up to 100% attach it to a load and measure the current out until the battery goes to 0%
Edit,
If the dealer tells you the battery is in spec, ask for the actual number or run for your life.
Sponsored

Last edited: