Best non invasive dashcam

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Since the Taycan seems quite finicky about 3rd PTY electronics and to avoid warranty conversations with Porsche, I’m looking for a 4k dashcam that just rotates recordings on a local micro SD and can connect via USB C, maybe even with a USB battery to offer a 12h or so parking mode without draining the car battery. I had Blackvue in my previous car and though that was a nice stealth install, it was expensive and required a lot of invasive under dashboard wiring.
this time I don’t want to alter the car, but do want to record evidence for accidents.
Sponsored

WarryBhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S, BMW IX3
Country flag
Blackvue front and rear with batterypack in the trunk space. Porsche dealer installed. No issues whatsoever.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Blackvue front and rear with batterypack in the trunk space. Porsche dealer installed. No issues whatsoever.
Which Porsche dealer please?
Given that Porsche seem to have got their own inbuilt camera so wrong, the Blackvue is my preferred option, but I really don’t want to risk future warranty issues.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Which Porsche dealer please?
Given that Porsche seem to have got their own inbuilt camera so wrong, the Blackvue is my preferred option, but I really don’t want to risk future warranty issues.
I'm guessing it's one in Belgium....

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I'm guessing it's one in Belgium....
I have friends in Belgium that I could visit and have this carried out at the same time!
:)

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I’ve decided to go with FitCamX when I get my car. It taps into the power within the RV mirror assembly. The only warranty risk (here in the US) would be mirror/rain sensor assembly But that may be different in Europe.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Viofo A139Pro 1CH, 2CH or 3CH is probably the most advanced 4k camera on the market at the moment using the new Sony Starvis 2 IMX678 sensor. It is powered by usb C but parking mode will require a hardwire kit.
A139 PRO First 4K HDR with Sony Starvis 2 IMX678 Sensor Dash Cam (viofo.com)

I guess you could power it from the USB c connectors in the centre armrest and the switch to a battery pack when you exit the car. Recharge the battery pack using the 2nd USB C socket or the 12v power socket?

Last edited:

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I’ve decided to go with FitCamX when I get my car. It taps into the power within the RV mirror assembly. The only warranty risk (here in the US) would be mirror/rain sensor assembly But that may be different in Europe.
I have been tempted by the neatness of the FitcamX but I have 2 issues with it....
1. You cannot easily disconnect it... if you need to quickly isolate it to check battery drain or before visit to OPC service
2. I am not convinced that in dual camera set up it is true 4k 3840x2160P at 30fps front camera. I cannot get a straight answer out of them

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I have friends in Belgium that I could visit and have this carried out at the same time!
:)
They'll only have stock for left hand drive cars though......

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have been tempted by the neatness of the FitcamX but I have 2 issues with it....
1. You cannot easily disconnect it... if you need to quickly isolate it to check battery drain or before visit to OPC service
2. I am not convinced that in dual camera set up it is true 4k 3840x2160P at 30fps front camera. I cannot get a straight answer out of them
Just had confirmation from FitcamX that the image sensor is a GalaxyCore GC4653 CMOS. Which is a 4 megapixel sensor so not 4k as advertised.

Porsche Taycan Best non invasive dashcam Screenshot_20230110_205437_Samsung Internet

Porsche Taycan Best non invasive dashcam Screenshot_20230110_205400_Samsung Internet