Brake Problem

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Yesterday I got into the Taycan having left it for a couple of hours over lunch. When pressing the power button with my foot on the brake pedal, the pedal sank down quite close to the floor. I now have to press the pedal a long way down for the brakes to come on, and occasionally the brake pedal gets stuck down, releasing itself if I press the accelerator. Car at around 80% charge, normal mode with regen off.

has anyone else had this? Porsche assist came out today and decided not to touch the car but to recover it to the nearest dealer. They are going to look at it Monday.
Just had its software updated at the dealer a couple of days ago but can’t imagine that has anything to do with it?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
get your vehicle to the dealer ASAP - this needs inspedtion -make be a brake fluid leak or bad master cylinder

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
You don't need to watch the entire video, but brake by wire systems shouldn't do this. Basically the system is setup to always maintain a very consistent brake pedal feel. It shouldn't vary like you described.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That’s kinda scary. I do notice the electronic brake when using Innodrive. It start slowing at a roundabout/intersection and maybe a car is coming and Innodrive is braking and the pedal is down a bit. But I’d assume that’s normal operation. Other than that I’ve never felt a brake issue.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
You don't need to watch the entire video, but brake by wire systems shouldn't do this. Basically the system is setup to always maintain a very consistent brake pedal feel. It shouldn't vary like you described.

interesting video thanks. I wonder if my braking by wire has given up and I’min hydraulic backup mode. But I guess there should have been some warning lights if that were the case. Let’s see what the dealer says Monday....

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
interesting video thanks. I wonder if my braking by wire has given up and I’min hydraulic backup mode. But I guess there should have been some warning lights if that were the case. Let’s see what the dealer says Monday....
Yeah the fact that the car still thinks it's all good, is disturbing. Seems to be extremely rare issue but very serious. Keep us updated.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did the HOLD function symbol come up on the display? You may have activated HOLD and not realized it.
From the Good to Know App,

The HOLD function can also be activated, irrespective of the gradient, by quickly flooring the pressed brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary. Changing the drive position will not deactivate the HOLD function in this case.

When the HOLD function is active, the driver may feel a difference in the brake pedal, and hydraulic noises may be heard.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did the HOLD function symbol come up on the display? You may have activated HOLD and not realized it.
From the Good to Know App,

The HOLD function can also be activated, irrespective of the gradient, by quickly flooring the pressed brake pedal while the vehicle is stationary. Changing the drive position will not deactivate the HOLD function in this case.

When the HOLD function is active, the driver may feel a difference in the brake pedal, and hydraulic noises may be heard.
Interesting. I didn’t notice it but it’s possible. Would that also keep the brake pedal depressed down until setting off again?

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey all it seems the pedal feel had changed due to the auto hold function being activated as suggested by @Genau above. Didn’t happen in the first 3000 miles I drove and happened pretty much immediately after the software update. Anyone know if there were any changes in the big software update that might have enabled / changed this functionality. Feeling a bit silly but the dealer were fine about it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey all it seems the pedal feel had changed due to the auto hold function being activated as suggested by @Genau above. Didn’t happen in the first 3000 miles I drove and happened pretty much immediately after the software update. Anyone know if there were any changes in the big software update that might have enabled / changed this functionality. Feeling a bit silly but the dealer were fine about it.
Haha, don't worry about it. Most of us have done something silly with our Taycans.

Can't think of any reason it wasn't enabled from the start, mine was. However as I'm sure you've now noticed it does take a certain modulation of the brakes to activate auto hold. If I was to wager a guess, I'd say you might have started braking a bit differently when you got the car back which led to activating the auto hold more frequently.

You may have actually activated it before without even noticing. If you usually ease on the accelerator it's seamless, you can actually disengage it without moving the car by slightly modulating the accelerator.

BoltsFan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan - On order
Country flag
Pardon my ignorance. What is the Auto Hold function?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Pardon my ignorance. What is the Auto Hold function?
If you are on any incline, pressing the brake and releasing will continue to keep the car braked to prevent it from rolling. Use to be very handy for cars with clutches!