Chances that Android Auto will be available as upgrade for 2020 and 2021 Taycans?

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings!

What do you think the chances are that Android Auto will be available as an upgrade to 2020 and 2021 Taycans?

If you are an Android user, do you think this is an essential feature that you would wait 3 or 4 months for a Taycan vs getting one immediately (and possibly getting the assured 2021 tax credit)? I have never used Android Auto.

Thanks!
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The navigation in the car itself is atrocious, and the built in voice command is essentially unusable.

You'll need Google Maps/Apple Maps/Waze/ABRP. So you will want either Carplay or Android Auto - otherwise you'll find yourself using the phone anyway but not enjoying it nearly as much.

I would not bet on them retro-actively adding it to older cars. Their update cadence has not been amazing, and the fact that they have remained silent about this finding its way into older cars IMHO speaks volumes.

Personally, I think iPhones are better anyway, and if somebody was paying me 7,500 to switch that makes it a no brainer :)

Edit: Apple Music is also IMHO not nearly as good as Spotify, and if you want a decent way of using that in this car, you'll need Android Auto or Carplay as well.

Last edited:

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I thought it was going to be an upgrade for the PCM system once its upgraded to v6.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ds-android-auto-hey-porsche-voice-recognition

Still says its going to be wired but thats better than nothing.
I think Porsche would try to keep the software versions aligned (not having various codelines) and therefore, I expect that it will come to older Taycans as well like they did with smartlift (also not on of the 2020 Taycan) . If the hardware is different then it is a no go.

Last edited:

YugoNation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi a3 etron, BMW x3
Country flag
Ugh. Just got my 2021 two days ago. Already annoyed with lack of android auto on this. Really hoping they make this available for us but I don't expect it. Putting an old iPhone x into the car with a tmobile digits setup and will just use carplay until then.

allan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-Tron
Country flag
Negative. I emailed Porsche their customer services dept told me there are no plans to retrofit this to 2020 or 2021 models.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Ugh. Just got my 2021 two days ago. Already annoyed with lack of android auto on this.
are you saying that you bought the car without asking about a feature you seem to need?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Greetings!

What do you think the chances are that Android Auto will be available as an upgrade to 2020 and 2021 Taycans?

If you are an Android user, do you think this is an essential feature that you would wait 3 or 4 months for a Taycan vs getting one immediately (and possibly getting the assured 2021 tax credit)? I have never used Android Auto.

Thanks!
slim to non. maybe future models will have apple and android but no retrofits.
there is a thread with a product that apparently will allow android to run in the car

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
slim to non. maybe future models will have apple and android but no retrofits.
there is a thread with a product that apparently will allow android to run in the car
Can you point us at that thread? Thanks.