Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
So after a few hours of charging from domestic standard 240v outlet (UK) with the supplied porsche charger it keeps stopping and delivering this message. My 7KW home charging point isn't installed till next week so this is my only current solution, so its frustrating to say the least. Whilst I cant guarantee this, I'm pretty sure there is no problem with my house wiring, and if there were a fault why would it start and run for hours before stopping.

TIA

Ian

Porsche Taycan Charger Problem 20200614_100225
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So after a few hours of charging from domestic standard 240v outlet (UK) with the supplied porsche charger it keeps stopping and delivering this message. My 7KW home charging point isn't installed till next week so this is my only current solution, so its frustrating to say the least. Whilst I cant guarantee this, I'm pretty sure there is no problem with my house wiring, and if there were a fault why would it start and run for hours before stopping.

TIA

Ian

20200614_100225.jpg
What a message! Move out of your shed and buy a proper house?

There might be a problem with the grounding of your socket wiring? I would get an electrician in, since the car does draw a lot of power...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
What a message! Move out of your shed and buy a proper house?

There might be a problem with the grounding of your socket wiring? I would get an electrician in, since the car does draw a lot of power...
Try it at your office or someone else’s house. Might be worth filing out a small fault in the charger.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Try it at your office or someone else’s house. Might be worth filing out a small fault in the charger.
Porsche Taycan Charger Problem 20180113_130203

Wrong installation for electrical floor heating, which draws a lot of power, almost created a fire in my home. I would take the message serious.

OP
OP
Laish

Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
20180113_130203.jpg

Wrong installation for electrical floor heating, which draws a lot of power, almost created a fire in my home. I would take the message serious.
This charger only pulls maximum of 10 amps as its plugged into UK domestic socket outlet which isn't huge and is on a protected circuit. I find it strange that it would even start if it feels there is an earthing problem. This happens after several hours of charging. Will get it checked but I'd be very surprised if there's an earth fault as wiring is fairly new and tested.

Unlikely to ever use this charger again anyway as the 7Kw charger is being installed tomorrow.

Ian

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
If there is a problem, it might not show up until the wiring has heated up and resistance is increased to the point that the charging station detected it.

You could change the maximum charging Amperage on the charging station. Maybe drop it to half whatever it is set to for now. Until you can have someone investigate.

OP
OP
Laish

Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
Thats a good plan. Will try that this eve

regards

ian

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you have an extra long extension cord, you might want to try it on some other outlets.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I would heed the warning and have an electrician come out and verify the wiring. Sounds like you have one coming to hook up your charger, so until then consider only charging at locations around town.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do not use extension cords please!
Ever!
If you have an extra long extension cord, you might want to try it on some other outlets.
That could be very dangerous. Don’t use a extension cord, especially the ones that are rolled up. The cable will go on fire 100%

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Huh? Why? For low power charging? We are talking about 10 amps.
Because people usually have comically undersized extension cords. Or the cord is beefy enough, but the crappy ends on them have bad connections and start a nice fire from the I^2R losses...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Huh? Why? For low power charging? We are talking about 10 amps.
If run temporarily and if your keeping an eye on the heat in the cable it would be okay. Remember if it is coiled you should lay it out as this lets the heat out of the cable. Otherwise it could heat up and start a fire. I wouldn’t run this overnight.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wouldn’t worry about a heavy outdoor extension cord, but ymmv.
Sponsored