chargers with timers & PCM timers

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To my understanding, various EVSE have their own timer functionality to only allow supply of electricity based on a schedule you define. Additionally, the Taycan on-board charger has software (via PCM) that can also set profiles and timers to define a schedule for when you want your car to accept the electricity supplied by the EVSE. my assumption is you would only set the timer in one place, either the on-board charger or the EVSE, and not both as schedules could conflict.

so first question is... is my understanding correct?

second, is there a preferred way to go about charge timers? i.e. "dumb" charger and use PCM timer -or- "smart" charger and leave PCM timers alone?

last, the PMCC seems to fall into the "smart" category with its wifi connectivity but does it have its own timers? the manual doesn't mention anything about timers.

also if anyone has any glaring cons for the PMCC let me know because it's currently on my build (50% of the cost was subsidized though so I'd be open to just dropping it and going with a 3rd party solution for similar cost)
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The timer in an EVSE would be useful if you were charging a car without its own timer - that is not the case with the Taycan. But that doesn't mean you must use the Taycan's timer - you could use the EVSE. Someone should verify that if you plug the EVSE into the car while the EVSE is not providing power, that the Taycan 12V doesn't remain awake looking for the EVSE (because doing so would drain the 12V battery). Assuming this isn't a problem, it's hard to see an advantage of one method over the other - except for the precondition ability (interior AND battery) which might be lost.

AFAIK, the PMCC does not have any timer functionality.

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
The timer in an EVSE would be useful if you were charging a car without its own timer - that is not the case with the Taycan. But that doesn't mean you must use the Taycan's timer - you could use the EVSE. Someone should verify that if you plug the EVSE into the car while the EVSE is not providing power, that the Taycan 12V doesn't remain awake looking for the EVSE (because doing so would drain the 12V battery). Assuming this isn't a problem, it's hard to see an advantage of one method over the other - except for the precondition ability (interior AND battery) which might be lost.

AFAIK, the PMCC does not have any timer functionality.
I have a Rolec EV charger which has a very limited schedule capability, therefore I have disabled it and use a Profile and Timer in the car to make use of a cheap tariff overnight, I haven’t experienced any 12V battery drain So far.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
My EO Pro is set to only provide electricity between 00.30 & 00.40. I also use the car settings at the same time and there is duplication. I have had no problems in 7500 miles of charging this way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Both PMC (STD) and PMCC integrate with the Taycan's onboard Timers and Profiles (the PMCC units displays this visually)

The Porsche Connect app is the convenient interface for all including timers and profiles. Further functionality is visible from the My Porsche website for your vehicle.

3 integrated ways of controlling and accessing effortlessly. Using a 3rd party charger introduces a different mix which doesn't integrate with the Porsche ecosystem if that's what you want / expect.

Much talk of 12v battery drain issues but I've not experienced this and I've used the full Porsche toolset and equipment from day 1.

OP
OP

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Both PMC (STD) and PMCC integrate with the Taycan's onboard Timers and Profiles (the PMCC units displays this visually)

The Porsche Connect app is the convenient interface for all including timers and profiles. Further functionality is visible from the My Porsche website for your vehicle.

3 integrated ways of controlling and accessing effortlessly. Using a 3rd party charger introduces a different mix which doesn't integrate with the Porsche ecosystem if that's what you want / expect.

Much talk of 12v battery drain issues but I've not experienced this and I've used the full Porsche toolset and equipment from day 1.
this is good to know. thanks!
Sponsored