Charging Error

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
I have a 2020 4S that has been trouble free until yesterday. Last night I plugged my car in at home to charge overnight according o my usual profile (85% charge ready at 6:30 am). In the morning the Porsche App said charging error and the car did not charge. Thinking I did not plug the charger in correctly I went to the car, unplugged it and set the car to direct charge as it was now past 6:30 am. The charge would not initialize and on the screen in the car the display showed a spinning circle as if trying to connect. Thereafter, I went to an Electrify America location, plugged in and the car charged normally. At that point I thought maybe my charger was bad (a JuiceBox) so at the end of the day after driving around 40 miles I plugged the car in at home, put on direct charge charge and the car charged normally. That ruled out a defective charger. I once again set my car to my usual profile, plugged it in and the following morning the same charging error, and when I go to direct charge the same spinning circle as if trying to initialize.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what was the cause or a resolution? Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a 2020 4S that has been trouble free until yesterday. Last night I plugged my car in at home to charge overnight according o my usual profile (85% charge ready at 6:30 am). In the morning the Porsche App said charging error and the car did not charge. Thinking I did not plug the charger in correctly I went to the car, unplugged it and set the car to direct charge as it was now past 6:30 am. The charge would not initialize and on the screen in the car the display showed a spinning circle as if trying to connect. Thereafter, I went to an Electrify America location, plugged in and the car charged normally. At that point I thought maybe my charger was bad (a JuiceBox) so at the end of the day after driving around 40 miles I plugged the car in at home, put on direct charge charge and the car charged normally. That ruled out a defective charger. I once again set my car to my usual profile, plugged it in and the following morning the same charging error, and when I go to direct charge the same spinning circle as if trying to initialize.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what was the cause or a resolution? Thanks for the advise.
Could be software related rather than a physical fault with the AC charger.

Remove all profiles and timers - ensure they're removed from the PCM. Start over.

12v battery disconnect to reboot all 12v systems.

Failing that it's the dealer I'm afraid.

DuffNation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are extensive threads on this very issue with Porsche’s supplied Mobile chargers (sorry, not savvy enough to drop them here). But, yes, it’s been a real issue that apparently PNA is ignoring:downplaying and the dealers are looking the other way. My PMCC+ did the exact same thing and I couldn’t get it to reset until I unplugged it from the wall. When I did that, it reset from the 100% charge, back to 50% delivery. After reviewing threads here, I left it alone and the problem has resolved. The handle is no where near as hot as it was before and it’s still ready at 6:45am for me. From what I’m understanding, this may be better for the car battery and safer for my home from a fire risk, too. My daily commute is 60 miles most days, so at 85% (218 mi range), I have more than enough juice every day. Hope that helps

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is not the Porsche charger. The charger is a Juice Box.

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update-I took my car into the dealer and they advised me that there is a fault with the high voltage regulator. The part is not available in the US and the dealer says it will take approximately a week to get from Germany. Once received only a couple of hours to install.

Last edited:

kewina12

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update-I took my car into the dealer and they advised me that there is a fault with the high voltage regulator. The part is not available in the US and the dealer says it will take approximately a week to get from Germany. Once received only a couple of hours to install.
@ Marshall - Did changing this part resolve the charging issue?

I'm having something similar where I've tried deleting all profiles, set to direct charging, it'll charge for a few minutes, but then stop charging.

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ Marshall - Did changing this part resolve the charging issue?

I'm having something similar where I've tried deleting all profiles, set to direct charging, it'll charge for a few minutes, but then stop charging.
Yes. After the part was changed no issues. It took about a week to get the part. Everything OK since the replacement.
Sponsored