Curious charging issue…others experience similar?

FmrSapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
2023 Taycan GTS, big battery, normal GTS spec. I usually only drive locally, but last week took a 300+ mile road trip. Charging on EA was fine, no issues however I noticed something strange. When I charge to 85% at home, I repeatedly, for the last year, get 220 miles for that charge. When I charged at EA DC charger to 85% SOC, I got 180ish miles. I chalked it up to battery was hot due to 350kw charge, so I just moved on. Got to my destination, used the PMCC on a 240v receptacle, got 180ish miles. Came back home, car sat for a day, charged to 85%, 187 miles.

am I missing something or just paranoid? I would think that after a year of consistent 220 miles per charge in garage, regardless of weather temps, I should see the same now that I’m back home. What gives?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
miles indicated on the battery/center-screen is a "guess-o-meter" based on recent driving behavior and consumption - it's easily skewed based on your recent driving habits…

you have not lost battery capacity - you've added a huge data sample that says based on recent driving that at 85% you can go 180 miles - what type of tires do you have on your GTS?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Yeah, that was exactly my experience as well when I DC charged after long interstate drives. Very little energy recup going on during those long stints at speed.

OP
OP
FmrSapper

FmrSapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ahhh makes sense. I have the Goodyear Eagles tire that came stock in the spyder rims. Since most of my driving is in city, a sudden long road trip is a shock to the computer I guess.

thanks

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Ahhh makes sense. I have the Goodyear Eagles tire that came stock in the spyder rims. Since most of my driving is in city, a sudden long road trip is a shock to the computer I guess.

thanks
ahh yeah the Good Years are also summer "grippy" tires - you'll get better range with slightly less grippy all seasons

I had 3 sets of tires on my 2020 Turbo

Factory Set - All Seasons - 250-270 miles no problem
2nd Set - Goodyear summer grippy tires - 190-220 miles no problem
3rd Set - back to all Seasons - 250-270 miles no problem

this was across 39,xxx miles until I sold it last week…

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag
2023 Taycan GTS, big battery, normal GTS spec. I usually only drive locally, but last week took a 300+ mile road trip. Charging on EA was fine, no issues however I noticed something strange. When I charge to 85% at home, I repeatedly, for the last year, get 220 miles for that charge. When I charged at EA DC charger to 85% SOC, I got 180ish miles. I chalked it up to battery was hot due to 350kw charge, so I just moved on. Got to my destination, used the PMCC on a 240v receptacle, got 180ish miles. Came back home, car sat for a day, charged to 85%, 187 miles.

am I missing something or just paranoid? I would think that after a year of consistent 220 miles per charge in garage, regardless of weather temps, I should see the same now that I’m back home. What gives?
I have the standard Taycan, and I consistently charge to 220 to 228 miles in my garage at 100% Don't travel too far.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
miles indicated on the battery/center-screen is a "guess-o-meter" based on recent driving behavior and consumption - it's easily skewed based on your recent driving habits…

you have not lost battery capacity - you've added a huge data sample that says based on recent driving that at 85% you can go 180 miles - what type of tires do you have on your GTS?
EXACTLY, it has nothing to do with how you’re charging, the car now has a much larger data sample and that sample is at a higher consumption rate.

Take a look at some of your trip data. Around town you probably average about 2.7 or 2.8 miles/ kWh. On the roadtrip, if you drive like me and average 65mph+, inclusive of stops (figure it out, it’s not causing at 65 mph 😎) you probably see consumption rates closer to 2.4 miles / kWh. So now your car has a ton of new data at a higher rate of consumption.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
EXACTLY, it has nothing to do with how you’re charging, the car now has a much larger data sample and that sample is at a higher consumption rate.

Take a look at some of your trip data. Around town you probably average about 2.7 or 2.8 miles/ kWh. On the roadtrip, if you drive like me and average 65mph+, inclusive of stops (figure it out, it’s not causing at 65 mph 😎) you probably see consumption rates closer to 2.4 miles / kWh. So now your car has a ton of new data at a higher rate of consumption.
My guessometer max mileage of 317 miles is attached. This followed a 200 mile trip in hilly upstate NY during the summer

Attachments

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
That’s great, that means your car with you driving it in those conditions achieved >3 miles / kwh. I’ve never seen more than 2.8 and average 2.4 and there’s nothing wrong with my car or battery. It’s due to the wheels, tires and driving style and I’m completely satisfied with my situation, YMMV 👍

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
With the OEM All Season tires on my 2023 CT-4S I regularly get 210 to 220 miles at 85% SoC.
Porsche Taycan Curious charging issue…others experience similar? IMG_7536
Sponsored