bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Just to update this thread - I placed my order WITH the Sport Chrono option. It helped that the change from MY2020 to MY2021 meant the charger was no longer a forced £767 option, so the £788 Sport Chrono pack was essentially "free" (err, let's gloss over the fact that the base car increased in price slightly too).
I still don't like the horrible clock in the middle of the dash (and since I'm "New Porsche" I don't care about the heritage "Old Porsche" people bang on about) but I guess I'll just have to put up with it and accept that other people might think it looks cool even if I don't.
Sponsored

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Personally I think you made the right choice !! Also on the second hand market, you might be short later on, not having that little extra option many feel is a must in a Porsche.

The Sports Chrono has a great feature with stop watch and time laps which is rather cool, so hopefully in time you’ll start to enjoy the “ugliness” of the clock you’re not a fan of at the moment - If not, you definitely gonna love changing driving modes with that little nob on the sports steering wheel ;)

Last edited:

sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
im not sure but I think Chrono gives the car overboost launch control

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
im not sure but I think Chrono gives the car overboost launch control
You get the Sport mode in the PCM which allows Launch Control even without the Sport Chrono pack.
Sport Chrono give you "Sport+" and "Individual" modes, plus the aforementioned Sport Wart (hehe - like my new name for it?) clock on the dash, plus the mode wheel obviously.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I didn't get sport chrono because of the clock spoiling the clean line of the dash, and also the 1300 CHF cost. You can still select Sport Plus in the chassis settings... but I do think the selector knob on the steering wheel would be handy.

Still, I'm happy with my choice. Not too much hassle to click the Sport button on the lower screen and then the chassis button on the dash.

Burak

First Name
Burak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Historically, sport chrono has always been more resale friendly. In the Taycan, it gives you easy access to the driving modes as well, without it changing settings in the taycan is really not easy at all because it is touch only.
Basically, better resale, easy access to the modes and much safer to use while driving.

sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
You get the Sport mode in the PCM which allows Launch Control even without the Sport Chrono pack.
Sport Chrono give you "Sport+" and "Individual" modes, plus the aforementioned Sport Wart (hehe - like my new name for it?) clock on the dash, plus the mode wheel obviously.
let me rephrase that .. what I meant is all cars will have LC my understanding is that when you have Chrono you will have OVERBOOST while LCing
correct me if I'm wrong

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
let me rephrase that .. what I meant is all cars will have LC my understanding is that when you have Chrono you will have OVERBOOST while LCing
correct me if I'm wrong
Well for non-electric Porsche's you would need Sport Chrono for LC and any added power. But for the Taycan the give full LC behavior in Sport mode without Sport Chrono as well. Sport Chrono gives the dial in wheel, clock, Sport+ and Individual modes, Chrono functionality to track lap times.

I think the most important of these for me will be Individual Mode and steering dial. This allows customization and saving of desired Regen, Ride height, Suspension, Responsiveness, Air Conditioning, and Sport Sound.

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag
I'm configuring my Taycan Turbo (PL97V3I4) but so far I've left off Sport Chrono. In my mind at least, I've no desire to change driving modes as I drive along, plus I think the clock on the dash is just plain ugly. I figure the most I'm likely to ever want to do is Launch Control just to scare a passenger out of their wits the first time I take them out in the car, but my understanding is I can press the Sport button on the display menu to activate this. After the first couple of times I'd see the novelty wearing off quite quickly. Possibly more useful is Range mode - I'm not sure if there's a workaround for that without Sport Chrono.

I don't want to be a cheapskate (especially on a Turbo) but I'm sure you're all aware that option costs can very quickly escalate if you're not too careful. Since I'm already pushing myself to a Turbo over a 4S (since the standard equipment is that much better) I'd rather not spec stuff I don't have to.

So tell me - am I an idiot if I don't add Sport Chrono to my build? Please convince me that it's more than a go-faster button with a nasty clock on the dash!
I agree, the Sport Chrono dial is not to everyone's taste but to answer your question, yes I think you are an idiot not to order it, especially on a Turbo.
Accessing the driving modes without the steering wheel dial is hardly intuitive or easy to do using the touch screen and its much less a novelty feature than you might imagine.
Also, for many people, Sports Chrono is kind of expected on all of the higher performance models in the Porsche range and the Taycan Turbo certainly falls into that catagory!
Ultimately however, its a personal thing and "you pays your money and makes your choice" as they say but for me at least its a bit of a 'no brainer'! :like:

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (due Dec), Porsche GT3, Land Rover Discovery, VW Transporter T6, Mini Cooper (Classic)
Country flag
I'm configuring my Taycan Turbo (PL97V3I4) but so far I've left off Sport Chrono. In my mind at least, I've no desire to change driving modes as I drive along, plus I think the clock on the dash is just plain ugly. I figure the most I'm likely to ever want to do is Launch Control just to scare a passenger out of their wits the first time I take them out in the car, but my understanding is I can press the Sport button on the display menu to activate this. After the first couple of times I'd see the novelty wearing off quite quickly. Possibly more useful is Range mode - I'm not sure if there's a workaround for that without Sport Chrono.

I don't want to be a cheapskate (especially on a Turbo) but I'm sure you're all aware that option costs can very quickly escalate if you're not too careful. Since I'm already pushing myself to a Turbo over a 4S (since the standard equipment is that much better) I'd rather not spec stuff I don't have to.

So tell me - am I an idiot if I don't add Sport Chrono to my build? Please convince me that it's more than a go-faster button with a nasty clock on the dash!
Just had a look at your configuration since I posted my last reply.... My suggestion would be to drop the Park Assist including Surround View (I have heard the surround view camera system is pretty rubbish, difficult to judge and cant be trusted!) and replace with Park Assist with rear view camera only. That will save you £522 with little or no sacrifice. I would then ditch the top tinted windscreen to save another £80 (my dealer said no body orders that option in the UK). Anyway, using a combined saving of £602 means you can now add Sports Chrono for £186! That seems like a bargain to me and your car will be all the better for it when it comes to resale! :)
Just a thought but you did ask.

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just had a look at your configuration since I posted my last reply.... My suggestion would be to drop the Park Assist including Surround View (I have heard the surround view camera system is pretty rubbish, difficult to judge and cant be trusted!) and replace with Park Assist with rear view camera only. That will save you £522 with little or no sacrifice. I would then ditch the top tinted windscreen to save another £80 (my dealer said no body orders that option in the UK). Anyway, using a combined saving of £602 means you can now add Sports Chrono for £186! That seems like a bargain to me and your car will be all the better for it when it comes to resale! :)
Just a thought but you did ask.
Thanks @Woody , since then I've kept those options but still added Sports Chrono anyway.
The cameras are pretty horrible in either spec but at least in Surround View I can see where the wheels are in relation to the curb (up to a point). I found the Top Tint windscreen made the blend into the panoramic roof a little more subtle.
But thanks for the input and for confirming that I am (or at least was) an idiot for not speccing it originally! :D

Woody

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @Woody , since then I've kept those options but still added Sports Chrono anyway.
The cameras are pretty horrible in either spec but at least in Surround View I can see where the wheels are in relation to the curb (up to a point). I found the Top Tint windscreen made the blend into the panoramic roof a little more subtle.
But thanks for the input and for confirming that I am (or at least was) an idiot for not speccing it originally! :D
I
[/QUOTE
I wonder how many times I questioned my own sanity during the configuration process! Anyway, I think your spec looks great, especially with the addition of Chrono. :like:
You make a good point re the Top Tint but thankfully I am now well past the freeze date. I honestly don’t think my dealer could have handled another call or spec change from me! :CWL:

ethen

First Name
Ethen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
question - do you get individual mode without sport chrono pack?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm one of those that thinks the sport chrono sticks out like a sore anachronism in the Taycan, but I'm currently in a Macan loaner where the chrono doesn't stick out nearly as much. I wish the Taycan chrono was more integrated like the Macan.

edit: the loaner was actually a Cayenne. I apparently can't tell one SUV from another :)
Sponsored

Last edited: