Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I reached out to Xpel corporate about this and they said the installer might be able to do a little better, but the GT3 nose is more complex an it cannot be done in 1 piece without lines. That was disappointing, which is why I have not redone it. I have chosen a different company that says they can do my nose without all the lines and pieces. Stay tuned I guess.
You can get a race livery wrap which is typically applied with a blowtorch to stretch over anything you want. My Cayman in the pic was wrapped by a guy in Florida who did most of the Interseries Cayman cars, and the job is unbelievable. Door handles, spoilers, every logo and symbol matched perfectly between panels. Just the wrap cost $10,000. But, his type of wrap is not as high a quality material as Xpel, it is much thinner and if you get clear it will yellow over time. I saw a 'wrap team' come in when I was at COTA and they transformed a white Ferrari Challenge car to complete race livery covering the entire body in 5 hours. It was amazing to watch these craftsmen.

I'm sure you can find a shop to do this, but as I said, you might want to consider something other than clear.
Sponsored

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model S, soon Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can get a race livery wrap which is typically applied with a blowtorch to stretch over anything you want. My Cayman in the pic was wrapped by a guy in Florida who did most of the Interseries Cayman cars, and the job is unbelievable. Door handles, spoilers, every logo and symbol matched perfectly between panels. Just the wrap cost $10,000. But, his type of wrap is not as high a quality material as Xpel, it is much thinner and if you get clear it will yellow over time. I saw a 'wrap team' come in when I was at COTA and they transformed a white Ferrari Challenge car to complete race livery covering the entire body in 5 hours. It was amazing to watch these craftsmen.

I'm sure you can find a shop to do this, but as I said, you might want to consider something other than clear.
Thanks for the feedback and rec!! I will consider that as well since my appointment is not til Feb.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my Taycan covered with full PPF and ceramic coating. It wasn't cheap, and I am generally very happy with the job done. But now that the car has accumulated some dust on it, I'm seeing a very noticeable seam on either side of the trunk. See the picture, I don't know the terminology to describe the spots:

1600618160834.png

Before I complain to the installer I want to know if others have had a superior job. Maybe there's some reason why it had to be done this way?
I’ve got a Taycan 4S on order for March delivery and I’m seriously considering the PPF and/or the ceramic coating. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s was the cost for you for this job?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here is what I was quoted:

XPEL Ultimate (Full Body Wrap): $7,495
Coverage: All Painted Surfaces, Headlights
Ceramic Pro Platinum (Lifetime Warranty): $2,495 (Retail Pricing is $3,495)
Includes:
| Chemical Decontamination/Surface Preparation
| One-Step Machine Polishing
| 9 Layers of Ceramic Pro 9H
| 2 Layers of Ceramic Pro Top Coat
| 3 Layers Ceramic Pro Rain (Applied to All Glass)
| Wheels-Off Coating Service, 3x Layers

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
This is about what the shop I use would charge. Keep in mind that while you may be able to find lower quotes, the skill and experience of the shop will be critical to getting a quality install done.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
That sounds very reasonable. What kind of warrantee do they offer? I paid a bit more, but I can come back anytime for any reason and they will repair/replace any panel. Also I need to come back each year for a $120 refresh of the ceramic.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That sounds very reasonable. What kind of warrantee do they offer? I paid a bit more, but I can come back anytime for any reason and they will repair/replace any panel. Also I need to come back each year for a $120 refresh of the ceramic.
I don’t know what kind of warrantee they offered. I expect it was pretty good, but didn’t pay attention to that. There isn’t any refresh deal, I don’t think. They didn’t seem to think I would ever need that. They did fix those seams I started this thread about, happily, and with no questions asked.
Sponsored