Full PPF and door trim disassembly

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
My detailer wants to disassemble the door trims in order to remove the side mirrors and door handles which would allow them to apply the door film much better on the outside of the doors.
This particular installer does all the hot cars around (lambos, ferraris, maclarens, etc) so they know their way around expensive cars (the full car PPF quote is $10K)

Nevetheless, I feel a bit uneasy about this as I'm rather anal about creaks. Has anyone gone through this process? How has the car faired afterwards?
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
My detailer wants to disassemble the door trims in order to remove the side mirrors and door handles which would allow them to apply the door film much better on the outside of the doors.
This particular installer does all the hot cars around (lambos, ferraris, maclarens, etc) so they know their way around expensive cars (the full car PPF quote is $10K)

Nevetheless, I feel a bit uneasy about this as I'm rather anal about creaks. Has anyone gone through this process? How has the car faired afterwards?
Do what makes you comfortable. They can certainly work around it if they have to (may not look as good). I'd be more worried about the cuts in the paint.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
If u really care, u should let them do what they need to do. I don’t really care, so I told them to work around it, which means u can see the flaps where they wrap around the top of the mirror. If that would bother u, let them take off mirrors and door handles.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My installers (who are also a Porsche approved body shop) told me they were going to remove the mirrors to apply PPF on the doors. It hadn't occurred to me until reading your post just now that they might have needed to remove interior trim to do that, but I suppose it makes sense.

In any event, I can detect no evidence that interior panels were removed and there are no creaks or rattles coming from the doors. If your shop knows what they are doing I don't think there will be a problem.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
FWIW my installer cut mirror holes for door film and utilized heat to enlarge. Worked it over the mirrors and shrunk the film around the mounting point. Excellent results - zero seam. (was on the RS)
Porsche Taycan Full PPF and door trim disassembly RS PPF (2)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Impressive! While we have great PPF/Wrap installers in NY, my general impression is that the superstars of this industry are in Florida and Southern California, if only because the number of people who bother to do it just so much greater in those locations.
Sponsored