Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy??

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
So many pictures of cars with PPF look so glossy that I just mostly see the reflection of the car. I’m starting to worry that it might affect how the Porsche designers intended the car to look. Wouldn’t they just make the clear coat extra glossy if they thought that looked best? I put a deposit for my ppf install but now I’m kinda second guessing it. Just looking for other opinions to help ease my nerves and see if anybody shares the same thoughts
Sponsored

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Not to be too harsh here, but I couldn't care less what the designer wanted the car to look like. Heck, I value my toddler's input on color more than the designer, since they'll actually see the car on a daily basis.

In all seriousness, Porsche certainly understands that PPF/ceramic coatings/wax are used on a significant number of the cars they sell, and they certainly wouldn't sell PPF if they thought it looked that bad on it. Glossy more often than not looks "new" and "well-maintained"

To me, that gorgeous glossy look is awesome, like you just got done washing it, but it's completely dry. Oh baby, now I'm getting excited just thinking about my acid green GTS ST coming in a couple months.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
The extra "glossy" also comes from the ceramic coating typically applied on top. My pictures from the detailer are glossy because of the lighting they use; in normal conditions I don't feel like its OTT.

The ones below are less glossy as they are in a regular garage.

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_3711

This is in the detailers shop under ideal lighting

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_3685

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OP, I agree and don’t care for the additional depth and reflection, which is one of the reasons I don’t PPF my cars. The question is are you more concerned about gloss or a nick here and there.
A nick here in there is far from reality unless it's parked in a museum or secure facility. All cars WILL get chipped up it's just a matter of time spent in the wild. I have owned 20+ cars all across the range and always protect the new ones and especially high-value classics with incredible paint.

It's more than just debris contacting forward facing surfaces. I can be comfortable touching a fully wrapped vehicle knowing that no love marks, clear coat scratches will occur on protected surfaces. It stays looking like the day I drove it off the dealer lot. (Side note: I had pano roof glass get chipped - even exposed horizontal surfaces are at risk)

I don't find my wrapped cars excessively glossy - even with ceramic coating. Here are 2 ceramic cars in the installer facility lighting which will enchance gloss. Both full body PPF.
Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? PPF & ceramic

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? RS PPF

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm not sure PPF makes the car look "extra" glossy, just looks like the surface of any well maintained, waxed/ceramic coated, car. My wife has the front end of her Acura RDX covered in PPF. The gloss isn't any more noticeable on the front than the other parts of the car that have been waxed.

I think a lot of the perceived "extra" gloss is just pictures being taken in the best possible light to emphasize the gloss. I mean if the PPF was noticeably glossier than well-maintained paint why would anyone PPF just the front? PPF is for those that want to minimize chips/scratches, especially on high wear areas like the front of the car. PPF + Ceramic coating makes the car easier to clean.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My car new at the dealership - raw paint waxed surface no PPF

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? image0

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_3905 copy

And my car with PPF std wax and no ceramics etc (can you tell what areas are covered and what are not (and don't cheat by visiting my Mods thread :)!!) ?

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_4697

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_4884-1

OP
OP
Foreal

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
Thanks for the input everyone! I guess it is mostly just the lighting from installer shops that makes the gloss stand out, but you’re right, it isn’t noticeable on only front end ppf. Thanks y’all! No longer worried and now just excited ?

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
My car new at the dealership - raw paint waxed surface no PPF

image0.jpeg

IMG_3905 copy.jpg

And my car with PPF std wax and no ceramics etc (can you tell what areas are covered and what are not (and don't cheat by visiting my Mods thread :)!!) ?

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4884-1.jpeg
You have a great looking spec

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My car has PPF forward of the A pillars and on the front doors. I use a nanotech product specifically designed for the PPF areas and P21S carnauba wax on the rest of the car. The whole car has a deep shine, and I can tell no difference in glossiness between the two areas.

Porsche Taycan Everyone with PPF: Does PPF look TOO glossy?? IMG_1175

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
So many pictures of cars with PPF look so glossy that I just mostly see the reflection of the car. I’m starting to worry that it might affect how the Porsche designers intended the car to look. Wouldn’t they just make the clear coat extra glossy if they thought that looked best? I put a deposit for my ppf install but now I’m kinda second guessing it. Just looking for other opinions to help ease my nerves and see if anybody shares the same thoughts
I've got a Dolomite 4S with PPF on the front and pillars and ceramic on the entire car and I can't tell the difference in gloss between the front and the back of the car.
Sponsored