Emotive Porsche charger planning adventure

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S PBP
Country flag
A Norwegian summer night adventure.

At a truck stop in the middle of nowhere along a new stretch of highway.

Fear:
Porsche Taycan Emotive Porsche charger planning adventure A13932A8-EBD1-4495-907C-5C52E47F7BB7

Terror:
Porsche Taycan Emotive Porsche charger planning adventure AB32777B-BD5D-4B65-9EA7-33FB34EAE4DE

Three kinds and 6 in number of 300/150/50kW failing «Recharge» chargers later I started getting the electrical failing message in the car too. Finally I pessimistically (and tail between my legs) tried a Co-located Tesla charger, and the angels started to sing!
Oh the joy! The joy! :
Porsche Taycan Emotive Porsche charger planning adventure 87F21286-7156-48E3-BFDB-91815A6D51E6

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Is the last photo from a Tesla charger ? If it is, it is the first Tesla charger I see operating at 800V. I had no trouble using Recharge on my trip from Tarifa-Nordkapp, albeit if I recall that was in Sweden and Finland.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Is the last photo from a Tesla charger ? If it is, it is the first Tesla charger I see operating at 800V. I had no trouble using Recharge on my trip from Tarifa-Nordkapp, albeit if I recall that was in Sweden and Finland.
I was thinking the same. It should be 150 max? Second question, why would Tesla install 800V chargers? Are they planning to go for 800 V ?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
It would allow all other 800V vehicles to take advantage of the maximum output of their chargers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I would not be surprised if Tesla Superchargers are already 800V or easily converted to 800V - Elon has stated publicly the most valuable resource at a Supercharger stall is "time" - not the power/eletrons - but time…

it is in Tesla's interest to have any EV occupying a stall only occupy the stall for the minimum time required…

I dread the day Tesla opens the supercharger network in North America - and all the stalls are occupied by Chevy Bolts's tootling along at 14 kW charge rate (which is the Bolt's charge rate once it reaches like 57% SOC…)

more information is required, but this is a very very very interesting post…

OP
OP
LoPro

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, this took an unexpected but interesting turn. But had I been anware of all those facts the post would have been about that instead of the low battery level and failures.

This wasn’t posted live so I had to dig out some photos from that part of a trip lately, and just remembered all the failures, that a lot of time was spent trying to charge at a very low battery level, and the feeling of dread which suddenly turned to pure happiness. I therefore hesitate to confirm anything about the Tesla charger in particular.

It happened at truck stop with several different brands of chargers in the south of Norway, and it’s a fairly new pool of Tesla chargers which I believe I read is V3 300kW. I also know Tesla seems to use the Norwegian market as a testing lab, and for example I believe other brand cars could charge at theirs here first.

I saw from the image data that the photo of the Taycan charging screen was taken about an hour later than the electrical failure photo which I’m pretty sure came up at the first charger. I believe the time slot fits with the time I spent trying out the 6 chargers before Tesla’s, reading the manual and resetting the pcm, talking to another nosy guy, and calling home for a credit card number to use in the Tesla app. Then dabbled with it and got the Tesla charger to work and bought food, watching the car get enough juice (plus buffer now!) to get to the next less steeply priced charging station, before driving away.

I then drove another 45 min and charged again at a different brand charger (cheaper than Tesla) but I’m pretty sure I have never gotten more than 150kW there. But there are no traces of the transaction apart from my debit card statement (I use an rfid key from a EV organization) which is far from accurate, and no more photos or things to time the rest of the night on the way home.

It was late at night, I was tired and it wasn’t the latest trip so I think I only snapped the photo because of the record speed. I wasn’t conscious about differences in voltage architecture between companies and what I could expect from the Tesla charger. I do know I have the 150kW onboard charger though.

Bottom line: I can’t confirm 100% but will try the charger again.
Also, others may have had success with Recharge chargers but I’m never touching one again. Surprisingly I may now opt for a Tesla charger if in need, but ionity is my go-to since they have been so easy, quick (operation and charging speed) and without failures (unless explicitly stating so before even trying it). Not to mention cheap when used with Porsche Charging Service.
Also, I’m bringing my plastic credit card in the future despite feeling so cool tapping everywhere with just my phone and having the official driver’s license app.

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It would allow all other 800V vehicles to take advantage of the maximum output of their chargers.
That is correct but for now that is very limited unless every manufacturer will go t0
Well, this took an unexpected but interesting turn. But had I been anware of all those facts the post would have been about that instead of the low battery level and failures.

This wasn’t posted live so I had to dig out some photos from that part of a trip lately, and just remembered all the failures, that a lot of time was spent trying to charge at a very low battery level, and the feeling of dread which suddenly turned to pure happiness. I therefore hesitate to confirm anything about the Tesla charger in particular.

It happened at truck stop with several different brands of chargers in the south of Norway, and it’s a fairly new pool of Tesla chargers which I believe I read is V3 300kW. I also know Tesla seems to use the Norwegian market as a testing lab, and for example I believe other brand cars could charge at theirs here first.

I saw from the image data that the photo of the Taycan charging screen was taken about an hour later than the electrical failure photo. Which I believe fit with the time I spent trying out the 6 chargers before that, reading the manual and resetting the pcm, talking to another nosy guy, and calling home for a credit card number to use in the Tesla app. Then dabbled with it and got the Tesla charger to work and bought food, before driving away.

I then drove another 45 min and charged again at a Porsche Center (cheaper than Tesla) but I’m pretty sure I have never gotten more than 150kW there. But there are no more photos or things to time the rest of the night on the way home.

It was late at night, I was tired and it wasn’t the latest trip so I think I only snapped the photo because of the record speed. I wasn’t conscious about differences in voltage architecture between companies and what I could expect from the Tesla charger.

Bottom line: I can’t confirm 100% but will try the charger again.
Also, others may have had success with Recharge chargers but I’m never touching one again. Surprisingly I may now opt for a Tesla charger if in need, but ionity is my go-to since they have been so easy, quick (operation and charging speed) and without failures (unless explicitly stating so before even trying it).
what was the location of the Tesla charger?

OP
OP
LoPro

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag