WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I foresee a "Porsche Serenity" FOD option to remove it. On the other side of the spectrum, perhaps also "Porsche Green Vape Exhaust" option which will blow steam out of the back to simulate exhaust. I'm surprised they have not yet offered "EV Gear Shifting simulation" which holds back the torque/power until the "engine revs up", then periodically cuts the power to 0 to simulate shifting, then starts the buildup again. Maybe an additional delay for Turbo and Turbo S to simulate the turbos spinning up.

Sarcasm? Perhaps. But never underestimate what people are willing to pay for. There used to be an old guy who I think must have lived in my neighborhood somewhere, who bought a red convertible Ferrari and every weekend when it was sunny, would drive around the 20mph speed limit neighborhood in first gear, all decked out in Ferrari gear of course. Impossible to do with a silent Porsche.
Oh god yeah of course there would be people who'd get the fake sounds and no doubt all of the list you mentioned there! People buy fake crap all the time and do weird shit too :CWL: :CWL:

I'm on a classic 911 forum and it's so interesting the mix of emotions the Taycan brings about. A lot of the old guys see it as Satan's own vehicle and can't understand why someone like me who is restoring a 1969 911t would want an electric Porsche. Progress lads! It's progress! I'll drive the 911 (when finished) until the government tells me I can't anymore because the fuels all gone!. The Taycan is evolution and you can't fight that! You can however do it with a bit if class and not have fake shit :CWL:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Seriously. Silence is golden.

The first thing I did when setting up Individual mode was to nix that silly Sport Sound.

I was kind of embarrassed for Porsche, that they'd introduce such a silly gimmick, and even make it the default in Sport Plus mode. That one would design a naturally quiet electric car to generate an irritating, fake vacuum cleaner sound is perplexing enough -- but to double down and make it louder and imitate the sound of an old-school ICE vehicle? That's just plain retarded.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. In the US, I haven't met a single Taycan owner who uses the fake noise, nor have I had a single passenger who thought it was anything other than a strange, ill-conceived gimmick. That said, at the end of the day, as long as there's a way to turn it off and keep it off, that's all that counts. :)
Could not agree more. I find it almost schizophrenic that Porsche offers the sound insulated glass (which is awesome) and then simultaneously offers some other crap option to make the car louder. What's next, an option to create the sound of worn brake pads rubbing against a rotor to compensate for the lack of friction braking?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Not everyone outgrows it by the age of 10. Plenty of teenagers and 20-somethings driving around where I live without exhausts thinking it makes them cool. I've also noticed recently a bunch of them screw with their engine timing to cause their cars to backfire from time to time, to make them sound like a supercar. :CWL:
There's an entire antisocial subculture like that (plus drifting) over here. Sadly, even some of the more mature and respectable motoring journalists wax lyrical about the "emotion" of a shouty exhaust.
Now, let me pause my Old Fogey rant to give a more reasoned opinion...I acknowledge the benefits of aural engine feedback when the driver is in control of gear shifting, rev management, tyre grip etc. But, outside of motorsport, it's not something that bystanders need to hear. And of course the key thing is that most modern cars- not just EVs- handle all those things themselves, so the driver has less need to be aware of what's going on, especially if they're within safe limits. But I understand why Porsche, with its DNA/heritage of motorsport and sports cars, feels the need to help enthusiasts transition to the EV age. Though I don't think that artificial sound is going to make an EV more acceptable to sportscar purists until EV battery technology improves enough to drastically reduce mass.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'm surprised they have not yet offered "EV Gear Shifting simulation" which holds back the torque/power until the "engine revs up", then periodically cuts the power to 0 to simulate shifting, then starts the buildup again.
I’d buy it. There’s not enough drama as it is.
Sarcasm? Perhaps.
…you got my hopes up….
But never underestimate what people are willing to pay for.
Don’t judge.
Porsche Taycan Exhaust sound from a Taycan? 8495C4CA-4B43-429F-9008-AE0BC7F08D89

FOD CarTunes baby! Sell tracks to blast at pedestrians when in a crowded parking lot.
Great. The parking lot will be like MySpace live. ?

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
It’s an EV. I wouldn’t want a fake ICE engine noise. But a Screaming Tie fighter sound would be cool (although probably get bored real quick!) for for two minutes.

Maybe they could do something like that just for the overboost launch control thingy so the neighbourhood Bobby’s know you need a ticket! ?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
People, .....take a good look at the pics which Carbuzz is using:

Porsche Taycan Exhaust sound from a Taycan? Screenshot_20211119-110854

And now let's take a look at Porsche's SOUNDBAR:
Porsche Taycan Exhaust sound from a Taycan? Screenshot_20211119-110811

And for some more detail:
Porsche Taycan Exhaust sound from a Taycan? 2021-11-19_11.12.56

Indeed, it's just a hoax imho.
You can order the soundbar HERE

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Oh god yeah of course there would be people who'd get the fake sounds and no doubt all of the list you mentioned there! People buy fake crap all the time and do weird shit too :CWL: :CWL:

I'm on a classic 911 forum and it's so interesting the mix of emotions the Taycan brings about. A lot of the old guys see it as Satan's own vehicle and can't understand why someone like me who is restoring a 1969 911t would want an electric Porsche. Progress lads! It's progress! I'll drive the 911 (when finished) until the government tells me I can't anymore because the fuels all gone!. The Taycan is evolution and you can't fight that! You can however do it with a bit if class and not have fake shit :CWL:
If you really want an emotional response from the purists, tell them you're planning an EV conversion for the 911t. ;)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Now, if they'd set it up so I could play the quote from the French Knight from Monty Python accompanied by loud flatulence noises, I'd pay for that option :CWL:

Of course, that could get me in trouble.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you really want an emotional response from the purists, tell them you're planning an EV conversion for the 911t. ;)
Oh we discussed that! It got heated :CWL: :CWL::CWL:

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you really want to get them going, tell them you're putting in a Ford electric crate engine.
A lot of these guys are quite old! I think that would be classed as premeditated! :CWL:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
A lot of these guys are quite old! I think that would be classed as premeditated! :CWL:
Hey, you could tell them you'd prefer to put in a Porsche electric crate engine, but Porsche doesn't make one but Ford does, and you are worried you might not live long enough to see one from Porsche :giggle:

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, you could tell them you'd prefer to put in a Porsche electric crate engine, but Porsche doesn't make one but Ford does, and you are worried you might not live long enough to see one from Porsche :giggle:
:CWL: yeah that'll do it!
Sponsored