Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is….

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Probably most of the British Isles, Europe and Scandinavia have similarities but different to the majority of US and Australian roads.
I suppose it’s a mineral/soil thing. Otherwise repaving would suffice.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I suppose it’s a mineral/soil thing. Otherwise repaving would suffice.
I think it is more historic.
Roads over here have grown (and sometimes not so much) from farm tracks going back centuries or millennia with a few modern straight roads added reasonably recently.
The US roads are new by these standards and the laid out in straight lines with traffic light intersections and the country roads are much rarer.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
As a Brit living in the US, I strongly disagree. You're casting broad generalizations on effectively a continent. For the most part (but even then excluding areas like the canyons of SoCal, or the mountains of Colorado) the western US is as you described. However, yast sections of the east coast has measurably very similar to UK (and Europe).
I live in Kentucky and I can assure you that it's often very difficult to distinguish between UK and US roads.

I completely agree with the rationale for selecting all chassis enhancements before maximizing power. I selected them all on my 4S and have no regrets for my style of driving.

A few illustrative pics of my local roads and why PTV can be a good option - even in the US!

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. IMG_3972.JPG

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. IMG_3298.JPG

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. 20170609_154906

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. 20190614_095546

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. 1346844151424

Last edited:
OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
As a Brit living in the US, I strongly disagree. You're casting broad generalizations on effectively a continent. For the most part (but even then excluding areas like the canyons of SoCal, or the mountains of Colorado) the western US is as you described. However, yast sections of the east coast measurably very similar to UK (and Europe).
I live in Kentucky and I can assure you that it's often very difficult to distinguish between UK and US roads.

I completely agree with the rationale for selecting all chassis enhancements before maximizing power. I selected them all on my 4S and have no regrets for my style of driving.

A few illustrative pics of my local roads and why PTV can be a good option - even in the US!

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

20170609_154906.jpg

20190614_095546.jpg

1346844151424.jpg
Yeah roads run the gamut in the US. Particularly where you are Kentucky/Tennessee/Georgia/Arkansas. Some of the most beautifully forested back roads. With varying elevation to match.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Georgetown, my neighborhood, is a mix of Europe and the Americas with narrow cobblestone roads but they are straight . . .

Ferdinand

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S as of Feb 2021; before, BMW i3
Country flag
Having had rear-axle steering on my 2021 4S, I wouldn’t want my on-order 2025 4S not to have it. I bit the bullet and also opted for Porsche Active Ride, which requires one also to opt for PTV+ (I don’t know why). Anyway, it should be challenging (and fun I hope) to sort out the contributions of the various components.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
But it should handle well without needing option add-ons.
I'm sure it handles well without, but better with. I don't track cars, never have and probably never will. But I do know that recently I had the opportunity (read was given) a RWD Taycan that basically had all standard equipment except for 21" Wheels and the door lights. My 2022 Taycan 4S has pretty much every option, including all of the "performance" options, but minus the Pano Roof.

My experience in the RWD standard Taycan was less than impressive.

1. Acceleration seemed very poor when compared to my car.
2. The seats were very uncomfortable (standard versus 18 way adjustable)
3. The ride was rough no matter which mode I selected.
4. When I pushed it around some twisties on the way home it didn't feel as stable as my car.
5. The standard sound system was absolutely horrible. If I had to live with that I'd use my iPod Pros and my phone to listen to music.
6. It was very noisy compared to my car.
7. The standard steering wheel felt awful to me compared to the sport steering wheel.

All in all it is fortunate that I didn't drive test a standard RWD or I'd likely have ended up in some other make of car.

How much of the handling difference was due to the performance options and particularly to the PVT I have no idea. I do know that my philosophy when spending this kind of money on a car is "no regrets". Otherwise I'd have just bought a Prius and been done with it ;)

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I'll take a stab at this even though I haven't owned a car with torque vectoring, others can maybe chime in and modify with better information.

Obviously it's tied into the nannies so for example if you lose control of a slide and the car starts to oversteer drastically it will attempt to keep it in line.

The more fun aspect is that you can get around bends that you otherwise couldn't (depending on skill level) because it basically rotates the car by changing the variable LSD torque split and can add in rear braking. More torque to the outside, less on the inside, along with braking on the inside will step the tail to the outside of the turn, effectively rotating the car so the nose will end up pointing towards the exit and not the outside guardrail. With AWD, the front wheels can add thrust vector that pulls the car on the desired line. I picture this as a controlled oversteer, where the nose will be rotating pointed towards the inside the turn on the way around, and straighten out as you return the wheel to center on exit.

I suspect the magic of PTV+ is that it probably does all this for you and you don't have to hit the throttle to break the rear loose or countersteer to manage the rotation at all, or practice any of this to get it right. Sounds like a lot of fun for somebody like me who really doesn't know how to drift, since it never snows here and doesn't rain that hard. I'd get it.

CAGCTG

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GTS, 1997 Carrera, 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My GTS has both Rear Wheel Steering and PTV and it corners like a hot knife slicing through butter. You are buying a Porsche for the handling capability, I would option it. You are already spending a pretty penny on the car.
I second this, especially the rear wheel steering--that's a no brainer. I do like the way my GTS handles, although I haven't compared with and without PTV. My other cars are Carreras, so the comparison is not valid.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
The PTV/PTV+ technical explanation from Porsche:

More dynamic cornering with PTV and PTV Plus
When it comes to driving dynamics and driving stability, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) is the perfect accompaniment to the standard Porsche Stability Management (PSM). The system is available in two variants: In combination with a manual transmission as PTV with mechanical differential lock and for PDK vehicles as PTV Plus with electronically controlled, fully variable differential lock. The system essentially uses targeted braking interventions on the inside rear wheel to enhance the vehicle's steering behaviour and steering precision during highly dynamic driving. It offers considerable advantages, in particular when steering around bends. The inside rear wheel is braked selectively as soon as the driver starts to steer. This means the rear wheel on the outside has a higher drive torque than the inside wheel. This difference in torque produces a yaw moment on the vehicle that provides additional support for the steering. The result? Significantly more agile handling with improved steering behaviour. In addition, PTV Plus delivers a noticeably higher level of traction when accelerating out of bends through targeted use of the differential lock.

And link to the original document

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
As a Brit living in the US, I strongly disagree. You're casting broad generalizations on effectively a continent. For the most part (but even then excluding areas like the canyons of SoCal, or the mountains of Colorado) the western US is as you described.
Beautiful pictures, but you are casting broad generalizations on the Western US. The entire coast is mountainous, and states like Oregon and Washington do exist.

Also, I'm looking forward to the next thread by OP: "The dash clock: essential accessory, or dangerous obstruction?"

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
As a Brit living in the US, I strongly disagree. You're casting broad generalizations on effectively a continent.
Not a continent, just one of the countries on that continent ;)

It is a broad generalisation and if I had implied the US had no country roads and Europe no straight ones I could understand your concern but in my travelling around the world, including many parts of the USA since 1970 the ratio of country roads to straight roads and grid blocks in the US is very much weighted towards the straight grid.
Yes there are lovely roads in the US to drive on, I have mainly been to race track areas and mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, Elkhart Lake are all beautiful areas with fun roads. That doesn’t change the general proportions I’ve observed though IME.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I'm sure it handles well without, but better with. I don't track cars, never have and probably never will. But I do know that recently I had the opportunity (read was given) a RWD Taycan that basically had all standard equipment except for 21" Wheels and the door lights. My 2022 Taycan 4S has pretty much every option, including all of the "performance" options, but minus the Pano Roof.

My experience in the RWD standard Taycan was less than impressive.

1. Acceleration seemed very poor when compared to my car.
2. The seats were very uncomfortable (standard versus 18 way adjustable)
3. The ride was rough no matter which mode I selected.
4. When I pushed it around some twisties on the way home it didn't feel as stable as my car.
5. The standard sound system was absolutely horrible. If I had to live with that I'd use my iPod Pros and my phone to listen to music.
6. It was very noisy compared to my car.
7. The standard steering wheel felt awful to me compared to the sport steering wheel.

All in all it is fortunate that I didn't drive test a standard RWD or I'd likely have ended up in some other make of car.

How much of the handling difference was due to the performance options and particularly to the PVT I have no idea. I do know that my philosophy when spending this kind of money on a car is "no regrets". Otherwise I'd have just bought a Prius and been done with it ;)
Assuming his reaction is authentic, the new motors put the 25 Rwd on another level.

@9:40

Sponsored