Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is….

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Geez guys - I literally mentioned:
- not a continent
- the West coast has mountains

Ohio (that's my closest track and I've raced there many time on 2 and 4 wheels), California and Wisconsin do indeed have a high ratio of straight roads - very dull! With all due respect though, those areas will give you a highly skewed view of the ratio. Also as a visitor, the view tends to be skewed by the mere practicalities of needing to get places quickly.
I maintain that a simple grouping of these states: KY, TN, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA have very few straight flat roads as a ratio to twisty roads.

Tail of Dragon :cool:

Anyway....all good. PTV is a good thing. My bloody dash clock is pointless

Porsche Taycan Explain to me what Torque-Vectoring is…. 3117853
Sponsored

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Assuming his reaction is authentic, the new motors put the 25 Rwd on another level.
It is quite possible. The loaner they gave me was a 2023 model and the 2025 model is a bit quicker, although still slower than a 2022 4S. It looks like they have made some of what were options standard now on the base model.

A RWD with all of the options I have on my 4S might have been fine, but the one they loaned me was pretty much bare bones for a Porsche.

Now the new Turbo GT with the Weissach package is tempting but I'm pretty sure it would get me in trouble, if not with the police at least with my wife ;)

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It is quite possible. The loaner they gave me was a 2023 model and the 2025 model is a bit quicker, although still slower than a 2022 4S. It looks like they have made some of what were options standard now on the base model.

A RWD with all of the options I have on my 4S might have been fine, but the one they loaned me was pretty much bare bones for a Porsche.

Now the new Turbo GT with the Weissach package is tempting but I'm pretty sure it would get me in trouble, if not with the police at least with my wife ;)
The 25 4S is arguably overpowered now; as are the new Turbos. It’s almost as if they should introduce an “S” rwd model in the 500 hp range.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I know, right? “What do you mean it has no back seats? What are those doors for, then?”

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I empathize, and then I realize that, at least for the way I would use it, it would be a terrible car that is not suitable for purpose. I also think about getting a GT3 RS but, again, horrible for how I would use it. I think I would rather have a more comfortable, useable sports car for the road and a dedicated track car . . . rather than an expensive car that would not be ideal for either as it inherently is an (expensive) compromise. Besides, I have raced in an expensive car and an inexpensive car, and I'll tell you that the inexpensive car was more fun to race . . . at least for me.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
watch this
This is a good historical documentary about the old mechanical free and locking diffs but the Taycan one is more "modern".

I don't know if the diff itself is any type of limited slip - it would be more controllable if it is free actually - but the way PTV+ and similar modern implementations work is software calculating how much to brake the wheel needing controlling.

We did it by "buzzing" the appropriate brake at around 5Hz iirc so a spinning wheel would be slowed for example or the inner wheel braked buzzed a bit to provide a turn in torque to the chassis.

It was very effective on the F1 car and got banned.

castadream

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
without telling me it’s a fancier way of saying Limited Slip-Differential

Imagine you're playing a video game where you're racing cars. When you go around a corner, you usually have to slow down so you don't crash, right? Torque vectoring is like a superpower for your car that helps it turn corners really smoothly and quickly without losing control.

Here’s how it works in your Taycan:

1. **Power Control:** Torque is just a fancy word for the twisting force that the car's engine uses to make the wheels spin. Your Taycan can control how much torque or power goes to each wheel.

2. **Going Around Corners:** When you turn into a corner, your car needs to manage how it sends power to the wheels. The outside wheels in a turn need to spin faster than the inside wheels because they have a longer distance to travel. Torque vectoring helps by sending more power to the outside wheels and less to the inside ones. This difference in power helps push the car smoothly around the corner.

3. **Extra Stability:** Besides just making turning easier, torque vectoring also helps keep the car stable. That means you're less likely to skid or slide out when you're making a sharp turn or going fast around a bend.

In your Taycan, all of this happens super fast and automatically, thanks to computers and sensors that figure out exactly how much power each wheel needs. So, while you're driving, you get to enjoy a really smooth and responsive ride, especially when you’re zipping around corners. It's like your car is sticking to the road like glue, no matter how twisty the route is!

In a nutshell, torque vectoring in your Taycan helps you handle corners like a pro racer, making sure you stay safe and have fun while driving fast.
Sponsored