Fans running excessively while charging

Vzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tacan 4S, 2023 EQS SUV 580
Country flag
My 2022 4S has been running the fans more aggressively and blowing hot air out of the driver side wheel well vent since the new PCM uPdate. Didn’t have loud fans prior to update.

It makes my garage very hot and stuffy 2-3 hrs after charging has started. I’m charging after 7 PM so it’s not like the garage or ambient temps are too high.

not sure if it is my car or every other Taycan. My Tesla model S usually has fans kicking only when supercharging. Otherwise it is very quite while home charging.

on general charging profile
Set to 80% max
Optimized charging on
48 amp charging (11kw) at 240v
No other timers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you're mostly charging overnight, do you really need 11kw? I have noticed that if I dial down the amperage, the fan works a lot less to none at all.

Lee808

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My GTS does the same. It’s alarmingly loud at times.

OP
OP

Vzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're mostly charging overnight, do you really need 11kw? I have noticed that if I dial down the amperage, the fan works a lot less to none at all.
is there a setting in the PCM where I can dial it down? Changing it on the EVSE is probably an option but I would rather keep it at 48 amps there for quickly charging the Tesla.

my Tesla EVSE is currently set to 48 amps (on a 80 amp circuit). I need to charge at 11 kw on some days because my wife needs to charge her Tesla after my Porsche is done.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
It’s probably a change they made because they’re having problems with chargers failing and other electrical system issues.

That said, I have a 2022 and I haven’t noticed much of a difference before and after the update. However, I have the 19.2 kW charger and the fans are always blowing when it charges.

I could really invest in an EVSE that has adjustable amperage because mine does not and it always charges at 17 kW/hour. I haven’t found any way to limit it within the PCM.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Garage temps can easily get 10 degrees hotter than air temperatures so in Florida could be over 100F. Your car will need to work harder to remove the heat from charging. I live in a cooler area and have never seen over 85F.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not into the PCM but you can usually reduce the current on the EVSE.

OP
OP

Vzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will dial down the Tesla EVSE to 32 amps (from 48 amps) and see if there is any change in the fan noise

love the Taycan but wish they made it easy like the Tesla software where I could change charging amps on the fly within the car.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have not experienced any change when charging at home with 11 kW since the uPdate.

However at Ionity charging. (263kW) I have noticed the fans running much faster and louder.

Left the car on an Ionity charger in Sport Plus mode and when I returned the car sounded like a jet waiting to take off! The fans were screaming and people had flocked around the car to see what was going on?

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Kyle Conner OSR says the fans run faster when the car is in Sport mode in preparation for more spirited driving.
Sponsored