Fitcamx dashcam installation

SFOCV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hello team,

I am struggling to install fitcamx on MY2021 Taycan. Especially removing the rain sensor cover. Wondering if anybody has some tip to share.

I looked at other brands but this is the only thing that I like - looks more OEM than actual OEM and no cable management at all. But open to any suggestions that could beat this as well!

Thank you

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation IMG-20211027-WA0017
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That's the hardest bit! Firstly, that piece of trim is stronger than you'd think looking at it. If you want to take it off, you have no choice but to do the following:

Pull it horizontally right and left very hard (and far apart) and when the clips are far enough apart you can pull it vertically straight down. You can't do one side and then the other and the pull it down – it all has to be done at the same time.

It won't budge down any bit until you've pulled apart (right and left) enough first.

When I did it before, I thought, I'd break it but it was fine.

Good luck!

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I just installed the Fitcamx dash cam, and man was it a bitch to install. I don't know how other people did it so easily, or within 30 minutes. Admittedly, I'm not very handy, but I spent 3 HOURS doing it because I really didn't want to damage my new car. Maybe I'm a total amateur, but it is what it is.

Firstly, just removing the front cover took over one hour. That thing is on so damn securely that both my son and I had to pry open each side a tremendous amount, wiggling and jostling constantly, trying to get it free. You literally have to pry open each side so much that you think you're about to break it. Don't pry from the bottom where the mirror neck extends because I damaged the finish on the cover slightly this way (doesn't matter if you never intend to reinstall this part). I can't emphasize how difficult it was to remove this cover. (See photo below of how deep the tabs were that grabbed onto the metal housing).

Removing the next two covers was pretty easy.

Wiring the cam was also easy. Two seconds. Take out the top small wire (not the big one below it) and plug the dash cam into it. Then take the wire that you just pulled out and stick into the other end of the dash cam.

Now, the next part took me another hour. Installing the dash cam back where the front cover used to be was not too difficult, though you have to make sure to position it properly. I bumped it up from the bottom a few times using the palm of my hand, and it snapped into place. This took me 15 minutes. But getting the small middle cover back in place was a pain in the ass. The thick wires of the dash cam are very bulky, and I had to fiddle with the positioning of the wires, tucking them in different positions, before I was finally able to snap it into place. I struggled for an hour because I couldn't properly position the bulky wires so that I could put the cover back into place. This was equally as difficult as removing the front cover for me.

The large cover was a cinch to put back into place. Everything is good now, and I tested the auto wipers to make sure I didn't damage anything in the process of jamming the wires under the cover.

I hope this Cam never breaks because I never want to go through that process ever again. Maybe I'm just some anomaly, but I found the install extremely difficult. If it wasn't for the help of a second person (my beloved son), I would never have been able to install the cam.

Hope this gives some insight to anybody that is planning to purchase this dash cam. But I'm so exhausted right now that I haven't even had time to test the cam's performance.

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation IMG_2646

Last edited:

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
Thanks for the post, I am planning to install a camera when(ever) the car is delivered. Putting these pictures together, its helping to understanding how the housing cover fits into on the metal part. Wondering if using a hair dryer to warm up the plastic piece or some WD40 (NOT both of course) would make the pull down easier? Just a thought incase anyone knows the tricks here, usually there always are with these fittings.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I would very much like to install this but I’m concerned about the effect it could have on the warranty. If I ever need to take car in for warranty service can they use the fact that I installed a fitcamx to say my warranty is void? I wouldn’t want to have to uninstall it just to take it into the dealer. I’m also concerned about damaging the car but I would probably go for it if I didn’t have the warranty concerns.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would very much like to install this but I’m concerned about the effect it could have on the warranty. If I ever need to take car in for warranty service can they use the fact that I installed a fitcamx to say my warranty is void? I wouldn’t want to have to uninstall it just to take it into the dealer. I’m also concerned about damaging the car but I would probably go for it if I didn’t have the warranty concerns.
I doubt it. I had an almost identical cam installed on my Model X for 4 years and Tesla didn't care. All this cam does is bypass the rain sensor. You can easily just wire it back if really necessary, but I tested the rain sensor and it's working fine as it did in my Model X.

A dash cam in invaluable. My parents totalled their car a few years back, and they may not have won their case if not for their dash cam.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would the method described in other threads have helped in your case? I haven't tried this myself. For example:
I actually never saw the thread that you posted here prior, but it is good additional information. I think the only thing from the post above and the post that I made, which I forgot to mention, is that you should start by removing the largest trim piece first because (1) it is easiest and (2) you can then remove the middle trim piece by squeezing the sides and not breaking tabs. If you remove the very front rain sensor cover first, you will inevitably break tabs on the middle piece like I did. Fitcamx support actually told me to remove the front piece first, and this is INCORRECT.

But generally, no, the post above would not have helped. The two hardest parts were removing the front rain sensor cover and re-installing the small middle trim piece afterwards. You need to pry open both sides of the front rain sensor cover very far in order to unhook the somewhat large tabs - almost to the point you think you will break it. And it's also hard to pry open both sides with one person. Secondly, re-installing the small middle trim piece is so hard because the new camera cords are quite thick and there is so little room to tuck the wires in so you can re-hook the original tabs.

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
So after reading this and other threads, and with some trepidation I got to installing the fitcamx today. Really its the only OEM looking solution (Porsches own one is tragic). I was expecting to do war but it was not to bad. Mind you, its not the first time I have done work removing trim on a car.

Getting things disassembled was easy enough about 10 minutes. Start with the large piece, then the middle bit finally the housing around the mirror. That last bit causes people problems but the issue is that when you loosen off one side you pop the other side back in. People suggest pulling both sides at the same time, but easier pop one side, put another trim tool or a credit card in there to stop it reseating and then pop the other.

Fitting the fitcamx was a bit more difficult. The connector in my MY22 4S is under another larger connector and needed light and a small screwdriver to unclip the connector. Also you have to run the cable inside the fitcamx neatly to get it to seat properly...that took me about 15 minutes of trial and error, the fitment is good but not perfect. Reassembly from there is easy. Working above your shoulder height is always lactic acid city in the shoulders.

Picture quality is good and its fairly plug and play. I have no complaints. About 45 minutes start to finish and thats me taking my time to not damage anything, but honestly Porsche make their trim clips strong unlike BMW that make them out of crackers.

A good solution, very neat OEM look, no wires to route and a simple interface on the app, its just runs recording 1 min loops.

Last edited:

Brian IRL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW E30 Cabriolet, VW ID4
Country flag
Fitted my FitcamX yesterday, disassembly was much easier than I anticipated but I was hampered by the fact the middle bit of housing had a very tight bit of rope holding it on to the roof.

the large console piece & the bit replaced by the camera came off surprisingly easily.

The only way to get around the rope issue was to snip it, as otherwise I couldn’t get to connectors. Before doing so I checked with WhatsApp support & they replied instantly, so no complaints there.

I actually found reassembly harder as getting everything to sit tight to the roof again wasn’t easy. I would say it is 90% and nit noticeable to most people!

Very neat solution and peace of mind for a reasonable price.

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
I installed on my Taycan Cross Turismo yesterday.
Same issue with the red cable. Eventually was able to unloop it and get it off without snipping.

I was amazed as they must have small children fingers to connect it all!

We managed to get a tight fit and it looks seemless on the car.

Looking forward to testing it later as with the blizzard here in the North East haven’t had a chance to see it in action.

I am looking for a rear facing camera now that’s going to provide a clean look if anyone has a suggestion…

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am looking for a rear facing camera now that’s going to provide a clean look if anyone has a suggestion…
I backed the Dride system on Kickstarter. Possibly shipping in March. The rear camera seems to be well thought out.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Great to see so many Irish Taycan's getting this camera fitted. FWIW, I've recently removed mine because:

a] It will shortly be going in for its first scheduled 30,000km service
b] At this service, I'll be making a relatively big deal about the unreliable LTE comms in the car.

The LTE comms module is located right up beside where this camera is installed and I know from experience that Porsche won't even consider looking into the problem once they see a non-OEM camera installed. In fact, they will almost certainly blame it for the problem – though it 100% doesn't cause it.

It is also very easy to reverse the installation of this camera!

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
Great to see so many Irish Taycan's getting this camera fitted.
Me bollox, I got out of a feckin Tesla cause they are everywhere, and no sooner does my Taycan arrive than every prick in Ireland seems to have one. Passed 3 today in the space of an hours driving FML ?????
Sponsored