DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@DerekS , if it was me I would definitely check this out before going through the trouble of V1 installation. Quickest way is to drive to a supermarket with a door opener which triggers your V1 (turn off all filtering, A mode IIRC). Stop the car facing the radar source, then hold the detector where you plan to mount it, note the signal strength (ideally stop where it's 50% or less), then open the window and hold the detector out the window facing the same direction, not the difference in signal strength. Repeat by parking facing away from the source to get rear signal attenuation.

I had V1 in first Tesla Model S. Then in the second one after a while I realize my detector was performing very poorly and all the alerts came from the front direction. After doing the above test, I realized the newer Tesla has some coating reducing the signal by 80% from the front, even more from the back. Had to go with remote mount, but that got me laser jamming too, so planning to do remote on the Taycan too, even if V1 would work, though I might go fancy and run both, remote and V1, pending on whether or not I can find enough time to implement such an integration (so low likelyhood, but possible). I even thought of mounting the V1 on top of the roof or roof rail for best, unhindered reception.
Great tip and I’m ahead of you :). I already confirmed the V1 can see through the noise insulated glass as long as I mount it in the black dotted region.
I tested this at the grocery store exactly as you suggested. :)
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Great tip and I’m ahead of you :). I already confirmed the V1 can see through the noise insulated glass as long as I mount it in the black dotted region.
I tested this at the grocery store exactly as you suggested. :)
That was also the workaround on some Model S(Tesla kept on changing windshields almost daily in their production).

That said, did you test the rear reception attenuation? The dotted region only solves the front. One of the great features of V1 is the directional warnings. At the very least, you want to know if your rear is highly attenuated, so you can ignore the arrows.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
No idea. It wasn’t listed as a feature on the sticker.
It is listed in the options on the current build website. I am thinking it was not an option back when you ordred.

I have the V1 Gen 2 with a mirror tap and then I ran my Blackvue to the fuse box in the passenger footwell. It was a pretty easy job and I did not take off the A Pillar to do so (some parts by the dash I did for access) and the only wires visible are on the end of the dashcam where they plug in.
Sponsored