From Taycan Dreams to Plaid Realities: My Electrifying Pivot

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Hi guys,

i’m not sure if you remember me, but I was shopping for a Taycan last year, looking a 4S dreaming about a Turbo S.

Porsche graciously loaned us this car:

Porsche Taycan From Taycan Dreams to Plaid Realities: My Electrifying Pivot IMG_6785

After mulling over many cars, including a great deal on a black turbo S (colour and options just weren’t right for me) I decided on the above car and called my SA to get my T appraised for trade in. The rep was busy and he had the next day off so I called him on the Thursday and someone else bought the car! Why didn’t I just put a deposit on it?! I even installed a 14-50 below my charger to experience Porsche’s mobile connector and get ready for my new car:

Porsche Taycan From Taycan Dreams to Plaid Realities: My Electrifying Pivot IMG_3956

I had a look around and couldn’t find another car option set that really did it for me, and one thing stood out in all of my replies on this forum:

A gentleman here with a beautiful top spec red Turbo S commented this: just get the Tesla, or you will always be looking over your shoulder for the tech that you don’t have. I don’t blame him for saying that and in many ways he was right. The comment rang true with me and made a snap decision on a Plaid.

The red car looked like this one that I was looking at, but I just couldn’t quite swing the price. I can’t find the original picture, but this is one that we spotted while in London last year…what a car!!!
Porsche Taycan From Taycan Dreams to Plaid Realities: My Electrifying Pivot IMG_4761

I got it (the Plaid) and it sat in the garage for two weeks not being driven. I knew I’d bought wrong car. My wife was relieved I wasn’t talking cars anymore (they consume way too much of my time needed for my family and my business) and said she wishes I had gotten the frozen grey Taycan 4S.

I can’t explain how we had more fun with the least powerful Taycan, and the absolutely least fun with the most powerful T. Obviously there’s more to it than just horsepower. The acceleration is fun but a bit of a party trick as someone said.

Coupled with my feeling that something was missing, my business took a downturn late ‘23 and was really regretting my T purchase and I sold it two days ago. In the process I lost my original car which I’m not going to get into, and I’m now not quite car-less, but sharing my wife’s car.

My plan is to focus on business, try to get comfortable again, and stay on track with what I want and what my wife says about me: “you’re a Porsche guy.” I know I can do this. I’m in a bit of a slump right now, but I’m trying to keep my spirits up and rebuild.

thanks for reading

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Best wishes with your business recovery.

There are a lot of interesting deals in the used Taycan market, that might be worth looking at once you're ready.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Best wishes for your future. Cars are such a passion for many of us and I hope you are able to feed that passion again soon.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It will mean so much more when things pick up and you do get that Taycan.

I look at life as a series of hurdles.... You will always have things that get in your way. That's life. You just have to get over them, round them, or through them as best you can.

But just don't stop when you get to one and give up.

Keep going!

I look forward to seeing your post on here when you do get it.
✌

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
And as a boxing man, I often think of Diego Corrales (RIP) round 10 v Castillo when things are tough.

When life has you against the ropes, sometimes you just need to fight back....

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the situation. If you get back in the EV market I’d buy a Lucid GT over the Tesla/Taycan. I’ve driven all 3 Model S / Taycan 4S/Lucid GT

chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the situation. If you get back in the EV market I’d buy a Lucid GT over the Tesla/Taycan. I’ve driven all 3 Model S / Taycan 4S/Lucid GT
Dunno about US, but in europe i fail to see how you'd even service a lucid if anything happens to go wrong. And i guess that's the reason i haven't seen ANY on the road.

Meanwhile porsche has a center in every other city, even small cities. Hell, in Switzerland, in some small village in the mountains, i spotted a Porsche center.

And with EVs, especially early ones, like taycan / lucid, you have to expect the car to be serviced a lot...

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Dunno about US, but in europe i fail to see how you'd even service a lucid if anything happens to go wrong. And i guess that's the reason i haven't seen ANY on the road.

Meanwhile porsche has a center in every other city, even small cities. Hell, in Switzerland, in some small village in the mountains, i spotted a Porsche center.

And with EVs, especially early ones, like taycan / lucid, you have to expect the car to be serviced a lot...
I suspect it isn't any better in the US, when it comes to service.

Take it to a Buick dealer?

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
^^^

my service advisor says they have more Taycan issues / shop visits than any other model they sell.

Take it to a VW dealer?

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag

No kidding! I live 15min away from Lucid Headquarters but the closet service center is about 40min away!

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Hi guys,

i’m not sure if you remember me, but I was shopping for a Taycan last year, looking a 4S dreaming about a Turbo S.

Porsche graciously loaned us this car:

IMG_6785.jpeg

After mulling over many cars, including a great deal on a black turbo S (colour and options just weren’t right for me) I decided on the above car and called my SA to get my T appraised for trade in. The rep was busy and he had the next day off so I called him on the Thursday and someone else bought the car! Why didn’t I just put a deposit on it?! I even installed a 14-50 below my charger to experience Porsche’s mobile connector and get ready for my new car:

IMG_3956.jpeg

I had a look around and couldn’t find another car option set that really did it for me, and one thing stood out in all of my replies on this forum:

A gentleman here with a beautiful top spec red Turbo S commented this: just get the Tesla, or you will always be looking over your shoulder for the tech that you don’t have. I don’t blame him for saying that and in many ways he was right. The comment rang true with me and made a snap decision on a Plaid.

The red car looked like this one that I was looking at, but I just couldn’t quite swing the price. I can’t find the original picture, but this is one that we spotted while in London last year…what a car!!!
IMG_4761.jpeg

I got it (the Plaid) and it sat in the garage for two weeks not being driven. I knew I’d bought wrong car. My wife was relieved I wasn’t talking cars anymore (they consume way too much of my time needed for my family and my business) and said she wishes I had gotten the frozen grey Taycan 4S.

I can’t explain how we had more fun with the least powerful Taycan, and the absolutely least fun with the most powerful T. Obviously there’s more to it than just horsepower. The acceleration is fun but a bit of a party trick as someone said.

Coupled with my feeling that something was missing, my business took a downturn late ‘23 and was really regretting my T purchase and I sold it two days ago. In the process I lost my original car which I’m not going to get into, and I’m now not quite car-less, but sharing my wife’s car.

My plan is to focus on business, try to get comfortable again, and stay on track with what I want and what my wife says about me: “you’re a Porsche guy.” I know I can do this. I’m in a bit of a slump right now, but I’m trying to keep my spirits up and rebuild.

thanks for reading
Love your story, the humility and the honesty. Gives real meaning to the slogan "there is no substitute" and they really need to bring that tagline back. A lot of people don't get it (like the ones buying, IDK, a Lucid). You clearly do, and I'm confident you'll be driving a Porsche again.

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Best wishes with your business recovery.

There are a lot of interesting deals in the used Taycan market, that might be worth looking at once you're ready.
I know you're right, and thank you for your kind words. I feel I'm in good company here.
My wife said I need to be patient, and she's right, but in the meantime I'm finding a few nicely equipped 2022's with some great options like Burmester rear 2+1, ACC, PB, and more. It's funny people spec a $6600 audio system and not get the PSD, my wife loves that display. Neptune blue draws me in!

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I know you're right, and thank you for your kind words. I feel I'm in good company here.
My wife said I need to be patient, and she's right, but in the meantime I'm finding a few nicely equipped 2022's with some great options like Burmester rear 2+1, ACC, PB, and more. It's funny people spec a $6600 audio system and not get the PSD, my wife loves that display. Neptune blue draws me in!
Funny you say that. I bought my Taycan 6 months used and the original owner optioned everything under the sun, (+40k in options including performance package, burmester) except for ACC and tech package (PSD). I never missed ACC until I had a loaner that had it. That same loaner also had PSD--after a few days she barely touched it. However, with that loaner I immediately noticed the lack of RAS and PDCC.

With that being said, my next Taycan build would definitely include ACC and tech package--most of the things in the tech package are a luxury and could easily do without. Would I miss intersection assist? A little. But after a few weeks and actually turning your head to look for traffic like we're actually supposed to do, eh I'll live without it.
Sponsored