Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
What does gravel mode do apart from raising the chassis?

Is it the right mode to use when driving in snow? Assume the characteristics of snow and ice on the ground are similar to loose gravel?
Sponsored

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
As far as I know gravel mode changes a little bit power delivery and throttle response. When you have PTV it also modifies it. Probably could be useful on heavy snow when tires slick more.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

Is it the right mode to use when driving in snow? Assume the characteristics of snow and ice on the ground are similar to loose gravel?
I've been thinking about that too... but I haven't tried yet.

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I tried it and couldn’t tell much difference but the road was narrow so drove pretty carefully. The handling does feel very reassuring on the uphills, but you need to be very careful braking going downhill on those big tyres and with the weight. Carry any speed into the corners and the car is going straight on ?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Thx for sharing.
I thought so.... I'm affraid of weight and size of tyres as well.
I'll try to skip snowy days as much as possible :whew:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Tweaks the traction control, raises the chassis and no doubt tweaks other traction aids - more drive to a given axle, PTV etc.

More for rougher surfaces than snow - hence the name 'Gravel'.

juuso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
More for rougher surfaces than snow - hence the name 'Gravel'.
There's snow and then there's snow though. A layer of freshly fallen snow is very different from snow that's been compressed into a hard and often uneven layer by traffic and plows. The latter can be very similar to gravel roads and it's quite common at least here in Finland especially on country roads, paved or not.

(Yes, you guessed it, this is one of the million things I've had time to wonder about while waiting for my July production CT4. It's finally arrived at the port, hoping for delivery before Christmas.)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There's snow and then there's snow though. A layer of freshly fallen snow is very different from snow that's been compressed into a hard and often uneven layer by traffic and plows. The latter can be very similar to gravel roads and it's quite common at least here in Finland especially on country roads, paved or not.

(Yes, you guessed it, this is one of the million things I've had time to wonder about while waiting for my July production CT4. It's finally arrived at the port, hoping for delivery before Christmas.)
I'm sure it will perform well with or without Gravel mode enabled. The AWD system is pretty good in my snow experience.

Enjoy!
Sponsored