jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I have a 2021 4s with PP battery. I have a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger and a 60 amp Tesla Tap Mini wired to a 50 amp circuit. When I charge the car with the TWC set at 50 amp (40 amp delivered) it will charge for a while, but then I routinely get a charging error and red lights on the TWC. The fault code is for “vehicle overcharge detected.” The fault seems to occur at random, not at any specific SOC. I have the Taycan set to charge to 85% and am not using a timer. I have the TWC set for “all vehicles” not just Tesla. The TWC works fine at 50 amp setting to charge my Model 3 P. If I lower the TWC to 40 amp (32 amp delivered) the Taycan will charge without a charging error, albeit slower. I contacted the guys who sell the Tesla Tap and they say there is nothing in the device that would cause this problem.

Anyone have advice on other possible solutions in order to get the full 50 (40 delivered) amp charging to work?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sounds like an electrical issue - wiring?

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
sounds like an electrical issue - wiring?
Please say more. I'm confused how it can be a wiring issue in the house if the TWC charges the Model 3 P at the 50 am setting with no problem?

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bumping this to see if anyone else has had this problem with a Tesla wall connector and Tesla Tap Mini.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want to close the loop on this in case anyone else may be experiencing the same problem with their Tesla Tap Mini. In addition to the issues of the Taycan 4S not charging properly with a "vehicle overcurrent" error on the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger, I started to notice that I also was not getting full power when charging our TM3P. That was associated with a wall charger error of excessive heat in cable and box housing. The connector to the car was getting pretty hot and the glass front of the wall charger was also hot to the touch. The troubleshooting guide for the wall charger recommended downloading the latest firmware. I thought I had done that, but then realized I had been checking for a software update not a firmware update. I downloaded the latest firmware from the Tesla website onto my iPhone and used the wall box wi-fi to transfer that to the wall box and update the firmware. I did that several weeks ago and have since charged both cars successfully several times without any errors.
Sponsored