jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Have a Black Edition Cayman S with beautiful gloss black wheels - get constant comments. Would not have it any other way.
They look awesome. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the maintenance of a black car with black wheels. Might let the wife choose.
Sponsored

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
Let me add my experience. I purchased a Taycan 4S in Carrara White metallic, white calipers and 21" silver Mission-E wheels with black spokes. I purchased the 21" wheels for the "all season" tires as much as any other reason, but also because I thought the 21" rims look awesome. There are pros and cons with this selection.

PROS
1. I get a ton of positive feedback on the wheels. People stop me on the street to ask what kind they are, and to say they love the look.
2. In the Normal driving mode the ride is super comfortable - surprisingly so. We have speed bumps and rough roads like everyone else, but the car handles these with ease and doesn't feel either too close to the ground, or too stiff. Putting the car in Sport or Super Sport driving modes does stiffen the suspension but in a nice way, and I only use that for highways and better roads.

CONS
1. The sidewalls of these tires are low enough that parking is a hazard. In less than two weeks I've touched a curb twice. The first time was very light and the mark on the silver segment of the Mission-E wheel was hard to see. The second time I felt I had given the curb a lot of space and was pulling into (not backing) a very large parallel parking spot when I heard a sickening scratching sound. GREAT! - Now two wheels scratched in less than two weeks.

MY SKILLS - Not to make too strong a statement, but my driving and parking skills are on the high end of the range. I grew up in Chicago and we had to routinely park in small parallel spots and I am a certified pro. Folks riding with me are always somewhat amazed, and I do this without hitting the curb, or the cars in front or behind.

REALITY SINKS IN - This is hard for me to admit, but I have a whole new set of skills to develop around parking a car with low profile tires.
  • I am spending more time using the Park Assist system cameras and taking it easy.
  • I also adjusted my right side mirror to give me the best view of the curb possible.
  • I DON'T ever take a forward path into the parking space - backward and camera assisted only (never want to hear that front wheel scraping sound again :oops:).
FIXING THE WHEELS
I have partial good news to share. My local dealer in Bellevue has a connection with a "same day" wheel, scratch, and dent repair guy who is amazing. He took my car at 8:30 am and returned it at 2:00 pm with the wheels looking basically brand new. Downside was it cost $325/wheel plus tax, but education is never free and this is a lot cheaper than replacing the wheels.

I encourage all of you to "take it easy" for a while when parallel parking your new Taycan. And please, never drive into a spot - a disaster waiting to happen!!

<UPDATE> - I found the website for the repair operation and it has locations in several parts of Washington and Oregon. They are called SameDay-USA Hope you guys don't need them, but ...
Definitely need Tire and Wheel insurance with these wheels.

Hessam001

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What tires do you guys recommend for 22” wheels on a Taycan 4s
Front wheel 22 x 9
Rear wheel 22 x 10.5
I was thinking about going 35 series for the front because I want some extra tire for the pot holes
What do you think of these tires below, do you think it will rub?
Front: 275/35R22 or 265/35R22
Rear: 305/30R22
Sponsored