Home Enegry Manager and PLC connection to PMCC - Help?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
What I know is that without PLC it won’t work and if it is not connected to the LAN, there is no access to the webapp to be able to configure it or thru the Porsche Connect app. So for complete functionality you need the PLC between them, and an internet connection to your LAN for controlling both. My HEM is connected thru ethernet and thr PMCC thru wifi to my LAN.
Yep. I only have my PMCC connected via PLC and can access its webpage just fine. It can also upload the charging data to the Porsche Server just fine. So no need for enabling wifi ;)

In theory you could disable PLC and ues the wifi connection of the PMCC. It would still be able to talk to the HEMS, but that will be very unstable and cause problems.

So the right solution is to stick with PLC, but disable WIFI on the PMC. Give it a try :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thatnks for all the help....
Regards domestic 3 phase in the UK - I know it may be possible - but probably not viable. And I know the HEM is overkill....but I have it - so I may as well set it up (because I'm a geek).

I think my root problem was getting the HEM and PMCC linked on PLC. I didn't mage that. Will be trying again tomorrow. I think "the process" is press the PLC pairing button on the HEM, then run through tp my PMCC and try to get it to connect? Any further guidance is appreciated.

And just so I know I am hooking up my HEM correctly, I assume the PLC comms is via the Voltage Measurement Jack?? J400??? And for temp hookup/config, I'm just connecting that via a regular 13a UK plug into a main ring socket.

It's just there were no PLC Network Status LEDs flashin gon the HEM.

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So update - thanks for everyones help. I installed a dedicated 32A curcuit to the garage and connected up the PMCC.

And this time I just hit the PLC button on the HEMS and then pressed pair on the PMCC menu and they connected. Not sure why this hadn't been going before....I think I was trying to do it all via the web interface.

So next couple of questions for all the gurus out there....on the PMCC I went to add an Energy Manager, the HEMS appeared on the list available, but when I when to add it I got a message "Establishment of connection to energy manager failed"? But then the HEMS did appear on my list of Energy Managers?

I deleted it, and tried a couple of times, same thing, although it always ended up listing the HEMS - but not sure if it connected? When I try the same in the PMCC web page....it can "see" the HEMS, but when you hit "pair" - the HEMS just has a continuous spinning cursor...

Reviewing detailed settings on the HEMS, I can't see anything listing my PMCC? Should it appear in a menu somewhere?

When I go throuigh the "Home Installation" wizard....should it appear in the list of Current Consumers? Should I be able to add it as an EEBus Device? Nothing appears in the list of Available EEBus Devices.

I need to verify the system is all working....I guess I could do that be configuring a lower limit on the House Connection Current Sensor and see if the PMCC lowers it charging current?

Ta

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Quick update - PLC light has gone back out on the HEMS :(
Trying to relink the HEMS and PMCC...
The PLC button on the front of the HEMS seems not to activate pairing?
But I seem to be able to activate pairing in the HEMS web app....but the PMCC does not seem to be pairing....

Here goes another day of messing around!

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@Alaistair try connecting the PMCC to a power plug that is closer to the HEMS (it should come with a matching cable for normal power plugs). And then do the pairing there. If that works, move it back to the final location and see if the PMCC shows an error message or if it can establish the connection. If it shows an error message, the distance might be too long.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Mine is connected with 125 meters of 5x16mm wiring, 3 phase, ground and neutral… distance is not the problem.

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Alaistair try connecting the PMCC to a power plug that is closer to the HEMS (it should come with a matching cable for normal power plugs). And then do the pairing there. If that works, move it back to the final location and see if the PMCC shows an error message or if it can establish the connection. If it shows an error message, the distance might be too long.
Yeah - they are not huge distances - probably only 15-20m from my consumer unit to a dedicated 32A outlet in the garage. HEMS is connected right next to consumer unit.

I've been distracted with "real work" - but will get back to this.....Thinking of doing a factory reset on both units and try from a "fresh start"....

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I spoke to my electrician/installer this morning. He says as long as the HEM and PMCC are connected to the same grid, they should be able to talk to each other reliably. However if they are on separate meters, they cannot connect.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I spoke to my electrician/installer this morning. He says as long as the HEM and PMCC are connected to the same grid, they should be able to talk to each other reliably. However if they are on separate meters, they will cannot connect.
Yup - connected to the same consumer unit - although on separate MCB circuits.

I've run powerline adaptors before for temp internet connections in the house on this wiring before and all fine.

As mentined - I am a bit concerned at the HEMS being faulty? As it doesn't seem to respond to the PLC button being pressed on the front panel.

So as mentioned above - I think I want to factory reset them both and try again.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

I've run powerline adaptors before for temp internet connections in the house on this wiring before and all fine.

As mentined - I am a bit concerned at the HEMS being faulty? As it doesn't seem to respond to the PLC button being pressed on the front panel.

So as mentioned above - I think I want to factory reset them both and try again.
Could it be ip address issues e.g. HEM insisting on a 10.x.x x network and you have have a 192.168.x.x?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

As mentioned - I am a bit concerned at the HEMS being faulty? As it doesn't seem to respond to the PLC button being pressed on the front panel.

Not sure if you have this manual - came across it earlier - not sure on currency either.

Attachments

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure if you have this manual - came across it earlier - not sure on currency either.
Brill - I have loads of manuals in 100 languages on the HDMS and PMCC equipment - but nothing on the actual application! - So this may be a great source.

From a user perspective - there is lots of info on the individual componenets - but little on the "eco-system" configuration that you are left trying to figure it out.

Hoping to get some time over the weekend to get back to looking at all this.

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Brill - I have loads of manuals in 100 languages on the HDMS and PMCC equipment - but nothing on the actual application! - So this may be a great source.

From a user perspective - there is lots of info on the individual componenets - but little on the "eco-system" configuration that you are left trying to figure it out.

Hoping to get some time over the weekend to get back to looking at all this.
Guys - just a big thanks to all....that manual about the web user interface from @W1NGE was the missing piece. Especially the last two pages which gives the overview of the comms

I had the HEMS on wired internet and PMCC on WiFI. I believed I needed PLC between HEMS and PMCC as well. Truns out I don't (my comms setup matches the 1st overview pic).

I factory reset the HEMS, and went through the setup and the HEMS and PMCC talked just fine.

I think my difficulty was tryiong to connect up PLC as well - and it all got in a muddle over which comms to use to chat - so failed to connect HEMS and PMCC.

So anyone having difficulty - these overview diagrams are a must.

I now need to go and just drive the car more!

SorenDK

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60, Porsche Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Interesting to read your "research" @Alaistair.
I will set up my HEMS and PMCC shortly, and I have a question about your wifi - is there no challenges with low network strength where your charger is? I assume it's some way from your router.

OP
OP

Alaistair

First Name
Alaistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting to read your "research" @Alaistair.
I will set up my HEMS and PMCC shortly, and I have a question about your wifi - is there no challenges with low network strength where your charger is? I assume it's some way from your router.
I'm afraind I am lucky as my garage (where the PMCC is mounted) is attached to the house, plus above the garage is my study where I have a wireless access point.

The HEMS is next to my consumer unit on wired internet (the consumer unit is in my "Server Room")

Being an IT geek, when I built this house I had CAT6 cabling flooded throughout with multiple outlets to each room going back to a patch bay in my under-stairs "Server Room". This allowed me to centralise all my servers and home automation (there is a LOT - I think 600 devices on my network).

For WiFI - I am running TPLink EAP245 wired access points throughout the house managed by a TPLink Omada OC200 could controller in my server rack.

Even my garage door opener has an IP address :) some may say this is overkill....

If you don't have WiFI next to the PMCC - you probably want the setup in the last picture in the manual posted above by @W1NGE

These pics also explain clearly when you want HEMS with DHCP enabled on the PLC.
Sponsored