Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
My Taycan 4s arrived yesterday and I'm having charger installed at work and home. I have an Anderson EV 22kw at work (i know mimy car is 11kw) and a 7 kw charge master at home that was previously at work for my Cayenne Hybrid.

It was highly recommended by my OPC to get the home energy manager and I'm sat here looking at it and thinking why. I really don't understand what it does. I did search the forums but couldn't find that one simple explanation of what the benefit of it is .

All help greatly appreciated

Regards

Ian
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
My Taycan 4s arrived yesterday and I'm having charger installed at work and home. I have an Anderson EV 22kw at work (i know mimy car is 11kw) and a 7 kw charge master at home that was previously at work for my Cayenne Hybrid.

It was highly recommended by my OPC to get the home energy manager and I'm sat here looking at it and thinking why. I really don't understand what it does. I did search the forums but couldn't find that one simple explanation of what the benefit of it is .

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian, My understanding is that it basically clips on near the incoming power supply. It monitors the draw of amps and controls the charger to restrict or allow more amps to flow. Bit like turning on or off the water tap.

OP
OP
Laish

Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
Hi Ian, My understanding is that it basically clips on near the incoming power supply. It monitors the draw of amps and controls the charger to restrict or allow more amps to flow. Bit like turning on or off the water tap.
As in it controls the cars on board charger ? That would make more sense as I have no requirement to control the output from my mains supply

Ian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Regards

Ian
Hi,
The Home Energy Manager (HEM) is a unit that is supposed to have a number of functions. But all of them requires that you have the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect and a WiFi network that’s both units are connected to. I have not seen any documentation or views that it works with other chargers.

1. It can work as a protection so that you will not suffer a black out due to using too much electricity compared to what your supply is. A safety item as well perhaps, by not overloading the cables etc?

2. It can balance your charge supply and charge your car if you have a Solar Panel that supplies a lot of power that You do not use else.

3. It communicates with the charger as in point 1 above to adjust the charge rate to the car, but it can also be programmed for charging at optimal times, if you have special low tariffs at night etc. There is a charge setting in the car that states optimal charging or similar.

Given that the HEM only works with the Porsche Charger and that you can easily programme charging time in the car to avail of low tariffs, I question how you are going to recoup that initial investment. I think the unit is something like 500 Euros?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
As in it controls the cars on board charger ? That would make more sense as I have no requirement to control the output from my mains supply

Ian
Pretty much, basically the unit connected near the input to the consumer unit, communicate over WiFi to the charger unit that is plugged into the car. So if the charger is pulling too much amps, it will tell it to back off. Protecting the circuit from tripping etc. I have the same kind of setup on my Zappi charger. To be honest, doesn’t make any difference to me. Still pulls 7.2 - 7.6 kw with or without connected.
Sponsored