Hotels getting ev friendly

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
heres an app that shows hotels that are ev friendly. Post others if you find them, Hilton is teaming with tesla also to put chargers in
https://www.evhotels.org/
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I have stayed at a few hotels with on-site charging and it has been great. The ones I pick have J1772 plugs so I have not been pushed to get a Tesla adapter but should you find ones that only offer Tesla destination chargers then you may want to consider a JDapter or TeslaTap.
Here is a thread on a Chevy Bolt forum but the same adapters should work fine on a Taycan. They support the J1772 protocol.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/teslatap-or-jdapter.32817/

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also I see the evhotels.org forces you to install a iPhone app. Though the features look nice.

I find EV friendly hotels using PlugShare.
Go to filter enable restricted sites and disable fees so you are looking for only free chargers which is what all hotels are pretty much.
Then look on the map in vacation spots and you get pretty accurate info as PlugShare is very popular and worldwide.

https://www.plugshare.com/

It's a free crowd sourced database of EV chargers with user ratings and images.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Also I see the evhotels.org forces you to install a iPhone app. Though the features look nice.

I find EV friendly hotels using PlugShare.
Go to filter enable restricted sites and disable fees so you are looking for only free chargers which is what all hotels are pretty much.
Then look on the map in vacation spots and you get pretty accurate info as PlugShare is very popular and worldwide.

https://www.plugshare.com/

It's a free crowd sourced database of EV chargers with user ratings and images.
Concur. I’ve used PlugShare for years for my Tesla Model S. First when SuperChargers were few in number and now for destinations or trips away from Interstate highways where SuperChargers are most common.

OP
OP
Cpoarchy

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes I have stayed at a few hotels with on-site charging and it has been great. The ones I pick have J1772 plugs so I have not been pushed to get a Tesla adapter but should you find ones that only offer Tesla destination chargers then you may want to consider a JDapter or TeslaTap.
Here is a thread on a Chevy Bolt forum but the same adapters should work fine on a Taycan. They support the J1772 protocol.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/teslatap-or-jdapter.32817/
I have never owned a ev, got any more info? Lots of questions.about taycan charging, if you got links to docs, that would be great
From what I read only tesla supercharger work with Tesla, true or false?
Will all others chargers work with taycans, if you have the right adapter with the right protocol
If it's not a taycan connector can it damage the car, are these just adapters to change plug sizes configurations,
I see some say 150-350 kw, what dictates which you get, want free so looking at electrify America
But if I am in a remote area, what dictates what will work, because then don't care about speed, just need juice.
Thanks

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have never owned a ev, got any more info? Lots of questions.about taycan charging, if you got links to docs, that would be great
From what I read only tesla supercharger work with Tesla, true or false?
Will all others chargers work with taycans, if you have the right adapter with the right protocol
If it's not a taycan connector can it damage the car, are these just adapters to change plug sizes configurations,
I see some say 150-350 kw, what dictates which you get, want free so looking at electrify America
But if I am in a remote area, what dictates what will work, because then don't care about speed, just need juice.
Thanks
You read correctly, Tesla superchargers work only with Teslas.

The adapters I spoke of work with "Tesla Destination Chargers" which you would find at hotels as Tesla was providing them free of charge to help with the roll out of their Network. These Chargers provide between 7 kilowatts and 17 kilowatts. The USA Taycan can accept 9.6 kilowatts of AC i.e. 40Amps 240Volts.

For "fast" charging often called DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charging) you need to find an J1772 Combo Plug.
Popular USA vendors are EVgo, ChargePoint and Electrify America.

In PlugShare they are shown as Orange icons.l, Green are AC and Brown are restricted use. Always read descriptions in PlugShare on availability and success in charging etc.

As far as need for over 150kW, it would be rate as you need to have a well emptied pack, I believe <20% for Charging to ramp up to a value over 150kW anyway.

OP
OP
Cpoarchy

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
You read correctly, Tesla superchargers work only with Teslas.

The adapters I spoke of work with "Tesla Destination Chargers" which you would find at hotels as Tesla was providing them free of charge to help with the roll out of their Network. These Chargers provide between 7 kilowatts and 17 kilowatts. The USA Taycan can accept 9.6 kilowatts of AC i.e. 40Amps 240Volts.

For "fast" charging often called DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charging) you need to find an J1772 Combo Plug.
Popular USA vendors are EVgo, ChargePoint and Electrify America.

In PlugShare they are shown as Orange icons.l, Green are AC and Brown are restricted use. Always read descriptions in PlugShare on availability and success in charging etc.

As far as need for over 150kW, it would be rate as you need to have a well emptied pack, I believe <20% for Charging to ramp up to a value over 150kW anyway.
Ron_b - thank so much for taking the time to answer my questions I really appreciate it, I see so much tech about this, you made it simple
So picking up my taycan in April/may it is 800 miles away from my house, picking it up and driving it home, so you can see why I need to do research, the interest in 350kw is I plan to drive at 180-200 mile stretches at a time, is this realistic, why not?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ron_b - thank so much for taking the time to answer my questions I really appreciate it, I see so much tech about this, you made it simple
So picking up my taycan in April/may it is 800 miles away from my house, picking it up and driving it home, so you can see why I need to do research, the interest in 350kw is I plan to drive at 180-200 mile stretches at a time, is this realistic, why not?
I think so if you keep it in Range or Normal mode and HVAC on Eco and outside temps >60F then you should be getting 240ish range.

Have you used ABetterRoutePlanner.com
You can select the Taycan and set charging stops down to 5% (I think that will be good), Select 0% batt degregation.
I still think it's distance estimates for the car are conservative but it's charging times can be optimistic. This is because the developer has no real Taycan feedback yet. It will get better.

OP
OP
Cpoarchy

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I think so if you keep it in Range or Normal mode and HVAC on Eco and outside temps >60F then you should be getting 240ish range.

Have you used ABetterRoutePlanner.com
You can select the Taycan and set charging stops down to 5% (I think that will be good), Select 0% batt degregation.
I still think it's distance estimates for the car are conservative but it's charging times can be optimistic. This is because the developer has no real Taycan feedback yet. It will get better.
Hadn't heard of that, will check it out, I am a planner and this is right up my alley, cool

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hadn't heard of that, will check it out, I am a planner and this is right up my alley, cool
I have more details on another thread.
You may want to look at here
https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/route-planning-on-porsche-website.653/

Also I would suggest you prepare your home for charging. Just have a 14-50 outlet installed near where you will have the vehicle. Supply 240v 50A breaker (can can draw up to 40A).
Like preparing a baby room, just without the need to decide Blue or Pink. ;-)