How exactly does the four-wheel drive system work? Sliding on snow.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
@evanevery -- what tires are you running on your car? on xmas-eve I was able to get the car quite "loose" in a parking lot, on the 20" wheels with the included all season tires, but you're right in that it could not be sustained. I didn't bother turning off traction control, only because I ran out of time (a parking lot security guard started giving me side-eye so I left haha)
Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elect (designed specifically for the Taycan). See here
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
What, no shopping malls or large corporate parking lots in your area?
Local teenagers and hooligans hang about there in their slammed Audis, Bimmers, etc. It's awkward enough pulling up to the gas station here at 3am to get my grub on and they start looking at the car and asking questions. Probably doesn't help that I'm 31 with the skin of a 16 year old and no beard. I told two groups that Twitch paid for the car for me via donations. Hah.

Too often people try to race me. In this weather? Hell no. Actually, hell no ever. I don't need my life to end as a statistic.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Local teenagers and hooligans hang about there in their slammed Audis, Bimmers, etc. It's awkward enough pulling up to the gas station here at 3am to get my grub on and they start looking at the car and asking questions. Probably doesn't help that I'm 31 with the skin of a 16 year old and no beard. I told two groups that Twitch paid for the car for me via donations. Hah.

Too often people try to race me. In this weather? Hell no. Actually, hell no ever. I don't need my life to end as a statistic.
Oh to be "31 with the skin of a 16 year old" again! ;)

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
What, no shopping malls or large corporate parking lots in your area?

Nothing like in the US :). I live in the same area as @Oink. Used to live in San Diego a few years ago, so I know the size of the parking lots you’re referring to. I could actually “test” my Dodge Challenger on some of those (guess it’s safe to admit to that now).

The Taycan works fine on snow. I’m running Nokia Hakkapelitta R3s in the same 20” dimensions as my summer tires. But that’s mostly due to being 1/6 Finnish I guess. Coming from a fleet of BMWs (E30 325iX, E36 328i, E32 735i, E61 530 Xd, E94 320i convertible, and a few more I’ve forgotten), I prefer a rear wheel biased car. The Taycan foots that bill nicely. The only quatro car I’ve driven was a S8. That system really works too!

My biggest worry when driving the Taycan on snow & ice is that it’s HEAVY!!! Extremely so compared to all my other cars! Coming down the dirt roads from my cabin I really need to be on edge when the conditions are at their worst, i.e. new snow on top of a glazed ice layer. In those conditions you just can’t brake the car to a standstill. It will just start sliding and pick up speed. So with all cars on snow & ice, gentle throttle & brake control is needed, even more so with the heavy lump of Zuffenhausen aluminum & steel. Once on plowed tarmac it’s a slightly different story. It’s no problem running rings around most Teslas then.

One thing I’m more focused on with the Taycan is cleaning the tires properly before a road trip. Sliding around town in the salty slush is not the optimal way to prepare them for proper snowy conditions.

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nothing like in the US :). I live in the same area as @Oink. Used to live in San Diego a few years ago, so I know the size of the parking lots you’re referring to. I could actually “test” my Dodge Charger on some of those (guess it’s safe to admit to that now).

The Taycan works fine on snow. I’m running Nokia Hakkapelitta R3s in the same 20” dimensions as my summer tires. But that’s mostly due to being 1/6 Finnish I guess. Coming from a fleet of BMWs (E30 325iX, E36 328i, E32 735i, E61 530 Xd, E94 320i convertible, and a few more I’ve forgotten), I prefer a rear wheel biased car. The Taycan foots that bill nicely. The only quatro car I’ve driven was a S8. That system really works too!

My biggest worry when driving the Taycan on snow & ice is that it’s HEAVY!!! Extremely so compared to all my other cars! Coming down the dirt roads from my cabin I really need to be on edge when the conditions are at their worst, i.e. new snow on top of a glazed ice layer. In those conditions you just can’t brake the car to a standstill. It will just start sliding and pick up speed. So with all cars on snow & ice, gentle throttle & brake control is needed, even more so with the heavy lump of Zuffenhausen aluminum & steel. Once on plowed tarmac it’s a slightly different story. It’s no problem running rings around most Teslas then.

One thing I’m more focused on with the Taycan is cleaning the tires properly before a road trip. Sliding around town in the salty slush is not the optimal way to prepare them for proper snowy conditions.
Yup, a heavy car is your friend for traction. Not so much when it comes to inertia! Physics always wins!

AWD cars are not that much fun in the snow anyway. For that you need a proper RWD car. It feels like the Taycan is pretty sure footed though...

I've been over in your "neck of the woods" (Arjeplog, Sweden) the last couple of winters to do week long ice driving schools with BMW. I really loved it. I really missed not being able to go again this year... :(

You may not have big mall parking lots but I bet you have some frozen lakes (snow plow required)!

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Yes, been a few times on lakes with my BMWs. One of the most fun things to do in life for sure!
Sponsored