4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I know many of you were lucky enough to keep your 911. Not in the cards for me. Also you may have discovered this already. It took me a bit longer because I drove my new Taycan like a near-sighted grandma for the first several months.

Now that the honeymoon is over, I am back to driving the freeway like a maniac from time to time. When I do, I tighten up the suspension and put it in Sport mode, and on Low. Then, I put on auto-regen (from the button on the steering wheel). Its transformative!

Auto-regen is like a co-pilot. The sensation is similar to downshifting in your 911. I used to downshift a lot when weaving through traffic on the I-5 here in SoCal. I know it was not always good for the engine but I justified it as saving the brakes (I know this is demented reasoning). Now, when someone cuts me off (and they ALWAYS cut me off), the auto-regen responds as if I was downshifting. I simply let up on the accelerator and the auto-regen does the rest. Love this feature!

I do miss the growl of my 911, but the driving experience I described above is as close to my 911 as I can get, until I can afford another one!
Sponsored

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Alas, I don’t think any new porsche will ever live up to my experiences from my old 911 993, if I had kept it as it would probably be worth more or near too a new Taycan today. But money in not the factor, the 993 had traits/character that modern day cars just could not be sold with as their would be law suits and legislation issues - but as a drivers car the drive was/is second to none.

Again normal caveats down to personal wants, driving styles and expectations BUT I am looking forward to making new memories with a Taycan that will hopefully become another part of the found memories dept. 😎

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
This is why I daily my 993 and my wife has the taycan wagon. 78 westy as our RV for camping. It took me a long time to perfect our fleet ;)

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
When our Taycan came in, I had to give up the sports car (not a 911 but still quite sporty Evora GT) of the time to make physical space. I've learned to appreciate the Taycan for what it is great at. Great day-to-day and weekend car. As long as you're not expecting it to feel lightweight and perform track duty, it covers most everything besides the sound.

Some of my other car orders came in so we now have 3 fairly practical cars. Still have the itch for a manual sports car and may go hunting once our Polestar 2 lease is up if it's still important to me.

diononiz

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab. 2019 BMW X5 4.0i
Country flag
I traded in my 2020 992 Carrera S cab for a Taycan turbo. Will post my initial thoughts after more drive time (I have only had the car 2 weeks)

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Totally agree OP. I do exactly the same as you: Sport + Regen
Works really well for driving quickly in traffic

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Yup, gives that ”immediacy“ feel.

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OP, couldn’t agree with you more! I see we’re neighbors! Please keep your Waze up when having fun on the 5! :)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
When I do, I tighten up the suspension and put it in Sport mode, and on Low. Then, I put on auto-regen (from the button on the steering wheel). Its transformative!
Auto-regen seems to be automatically turned on upon switching into Sport mode - at least on mine. I personally found that a bit annoying, as I had gotten used to the car's efficient coasting, and the braking effect of lifting off ruins the flow. That is, I can modulate the gas pedal of my 996C2 to keep the momentum through a series of bends, whereas the slightest twitch of the accelerator in the Taycan feels like I'm braking.

The sensation is similar to downshifting in your 911. I used to downshift a lot when weaving through traffic on the I-5 here in SoCal.
[...]
the auto-regen responds as if I was downshifting. I simply let up on the accelerator and the auto-regen does the rest. Love this feature!
Do you really mean dowshifting here, or engine braking? (which auto-regen is :)); as in you'd feel the engine braking effect even lifting off (depending on gear and speed) in an ICE - downshifting is what I'd do to shoot for a gap/accelerate out of a turn, not to create that gap or otherwise slow down.

I do love the auto-regen/recuperation feature of (this) EV on snow or ice; we lost the art of engine braking with the advance of PDK/automatics.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Auto-regen seems to be automatically turned on upon switching into Sport mode - at least on mine. I personally found that a bit annoying, as I had gotten used to the car's efficient coasting, and the braking effect of lifting off ruins the flow. That is, I can modulate the gas pedal of my 996C2 to keep the momentum through a series of bends, whereas the slightest twitch of the accelerator in the Taycan feels like I'm braking.

Do you really mean dowshifting here, or engine braking? (which auto-regen is :)); as in you'd feel the engine braking effect even lifting off (depending on gear and speed) in an ICE - downshifting is what I'd do to shoot for a gap/accelerate out of a turn, not to create that gap or otherwise slow down.

I do love the auto-regen/recuperation feature of (this) EV on snow or ice; we lost the art of engine braking with the advance of PDK/automatics.
In my 911 I would downshift (ie from 4th to 2nd gear) to slow the car down, for example, if I was approaching a highway exit or if I got cut off. I don't think this is good for the engine at high speeds (that's what I was told) but had trouble "braking" the habit. I don't think my auto-regen goes on automatically in Sport mode but it does if you use any of the drive assist features like cruise control.

As I said the auto-regen gives me the same sensation when I have any vehicles in front of me.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
In my 911 I would downshift (ie from 4th to 2nd gear) to slow the car down, for example, if I was approaching a highway exit or if I got cut off. I don't think this is good for the engine at high speeds (that's what I was told) but had trouble "braking" the habit.
It's fine. Anything above rated max speed (redline) for extended time is not good.

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Recuperation comes on in sport and sport+, and yeah, it feels like engine braking and really transforms the car. It’s strange - I’d read that it’s linked to the car ahead of you, but was surprised and pleased that it’s present even if nothing’s ahead of you. I find it nice for a twisty road, but prefer normal when I just want to glide down a freeway.
Sponsored