Heat pump - How can you tell if your Taycan has one?

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
How can you tell if your Taycan has a heat pump? Was it an option or standard on MY20 4S?
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
How can you tell if your Taycan has a heat pump? Was it an option or standard on MY20 4S?
Afaik, it depends on a market.
Don’t know for US, it is/was an option in my country.
With porsche.id, you can see all your options on web portal.

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
For CT model 22 was standard, since summer 22 , it’s an option.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Standard in countries where it is mandated.

Check the standard spec of your car / build sheet for confirmation.

Check the current standard spec which if the pump was included probably would have been the case with yours.

Hot countries tend not to have it as standard as a rule of thumb.

Standard in UK / Ireland but not all countries in Europe.

OP
OP
Uknown

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
Thank you all! It was listed in standard equipment on my Porsche page. Didn’t know I could see so much about the car there. Very informative.

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
Standard is the fact that it’ll stop working (maybe Christmas Day like happened to me 😡).

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I did some research about this. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
But to me it looks like this:

1) In most EV's (and I think also in the Taycan) the heat pump does not take heat from the outside air. It takes heat from the internal system: from the invertor, the motor, the battery.
That means that the heat pump heats the cabin, but cools the other systems at the same time. That is good for the invertor and the motor. But not necessarily good for the battery.
When do you use the heat pump? When it is cold. When you should keep your battery hot.
When do you need heat pump the most ? When doing roadtrips. When the battery should be warm to charge fast.
So in theory a heat pump is a good idea. But in practice, because of the way it is designed in most EV's, it does not help much.

2) I used the ODBII link to estimate how much energy is going to heat the cabine. Initially, to heat up a cold cabine, a lot of energy is used: 3kw to even 10kw. But let's assume you preheat. Or heat up the car at the fast charger. So you start with a warm car.
To keep the car warm (Eco mode at 20 C inside and about 0 to 5 C), I saw you need about 600 to 1000 Watt continuous.
For a 3 hour drive between charges this is between 2 to 3 kwh of energy.
Depending on the size of your battery this is 2.5% to 4% of the energy consumption.
If you could half this number by using a heat pump (which is very optimistic taking point 1 into account), this would be a difference of 1,25% to 2% extra range. That is 4 to 10km. So not really worth it.

From this I conclude that you better spend the money for the heat pump on a bigger battery.

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
I did some research about this. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
But to me it looks like this:

1) In most EV's (and I think also in the Taycan) the heat pump does not take heat from the outside air. It takes heat from the internal system: from the invertor, the motor, the battery.
That means that the heat pump heats the cabin, but cools the other systems at the same time. That is good for the invertor and the motor. But not necessarily good for the battery.
When do you use the heat pump? When it is cold. When you should keep your battery hot.
When do you need heat pump the most ? When doing roadtrips. When the battery should be warm to charge fast.
So in theory a heat pump is a good idea. But in practice, because of the way it is designed in most EV's, it does not help much.

2) I used the ODBII link to estimate how much energy is going to heat the cabine. Initially, to heat up a cold cabine, a lot of energy is used: 3kw to even 10kw. But let's assume you preheat. Or heat up the car at the fast charger. So you start with a warm car.
To keep the car warm (Eco mode at 20 C inside and about 0 to 5 C), I saw you need about 600 to 1000 Watt continuous.
For a 3 hour drive between charges this is between 2 to 3 kwh of energy.
Depending on the size of your battery this is 2.5% to 4% of the energy consumption.
If you could half this number by using a heat pump (which is very optimistic taking point 1 into account), this would be a difference of 1,25% to 2% extra range. That is 4 to 10km. So not really worth it.

From this I conclude that you better spend the money for the heat pump on a bigger battery.
Exactly my findings as well. The heat pump will scavenge heat from the drivetrain, and not from the ambient air. In my view this seems like a questionable tactic, at least in somewhat colder temperatures.
Playing around with the Porche range calculator for the Taycan when I ordered my car, it also seemed like using eco mode for the cabin heater had a greater effect on range/consumption than the heat pump would have.

Optioning the heat pump would probably be good from the persepctive of reselling the car, though.
Sponsored

Last edited: