InnoDrive

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
A small comparison of Taycan InnoDrive vs Tesla Autopilot

With driving Tesla's daily since 2015 using Autopilot from v1 to v2.5 I must say I am surprised as to how good the Porsche InnoDrive actually is! It is miles better than the Autopilot feature from Tesla.

The biggest difference is the way the car is controlled. In the Taycan the ride is soft an smoth, no scary moments. In a Tesla the ride is really abrupt and harsh and the car makes sudden adjustments making it unbarable for bringing passangers (especially wifey).

The automatic speed recognition has some flaws just like Teslas Autopilot but luckily in the Taycan you can disable the speed recognition and still have InnoDrive actually drive your car. Both brands have huge problems determining legal road speeds. Especially where there are roads crossing under/over or where roads with different speeds go nearby. Luckily the Taycan does not phantom-break nearly as hard as the Tesla does but it is still annoying. You have to reset cruise speed a lot with the automatic speed recognition turned on.

So, my advice is; Turn speed recognition off and you can really enjoy InnoDrive while cruising and in traffic.
Sponsored

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
A small comparison of Taycan InnoDrive vs Tesla Autopilot

With driving Tesla's daily since 2015 using Autopilot from v1 to v2.5 I must say I am surprised as to how good the Porsche InnoDrive actually is! It is miles better than the Autopilot feature from Tesla.

The biggest difference is the way the car is controlled. In the Taycan the ride is soft an smoth, no scary moments. In a Tesla the ride is really abrupt and harsh and the car makes sudden adjustments making it unbarable for bringing passangers (especially wifey).

The automatic speed recognition has some flaws just like Teslas Autopilot but luckily in the Taycan you can disable the speed recognition and still have InnoDrive actually drive your car. Both brands have huge problems determining legal road speeds. Especially where there are roads crossing under/over or where roads with different speeds go nearby. Luckily the Taycan does not phantom-break nearly as hard as the Tesla does but it is still annoying. You have to reset cruise speed a lot with the automatic speed recognition turned on.

So, my advice is; Turn speed recognition off and you can really enjoy InnoDrive while cruising and in traffic.
Doesn’t adaptive cruise control, without InnoDrive, suffice to accomplish what you’re describing? If not, please explain. I have a 4S on order with adaptive cruise control and still have time (unfortunately) to modify my order.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Without innodrive the cars somewhat steers within the lines but only vaguely. More like a warning when you’re about to cross the lines. With innodrive it follows the road much better as well as adjusting speed towards corners. It is also supposed to know what happens 3km ahead of you, not that I’ve tested how that works.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
I actually just tested innodrive in a city. It recognizes roundabouts and crossings, so I didn’t have to break or touch the throttle at all while going trhrough.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I actually just tested innodrive in a city. It recognizes roundabouts and crossings, so I didn’t have to break or touch the throttle at all while going trhrough.
Thanks much. I just added InnoDrive to my order.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That’s going to be cool. I’ve got Innodrive on my build. Can’t wait.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am still a little confused by this. Is it that it manages the speed, but you still need to steer? Or does it steer, but you have to have your hands on the wheel just in case?

I ordered it because, hey, why not? LOL.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am still a little confused by this. Is it that it manages the speed, but you still need to steer? Or does it steer, but you have to have your hands on the wheel just in case?

Porsche InnoDrive including adaptive cruise control*
The system enhances adaptive cruise control with additional, innovative functions.
It predictively optimises your speed. With the aid of high-resolution navigation data and information supplied by the radar and video sensors, Porsche InnoDrive determines speed limits and topographical road features, such as gradients or corner radii, along your route even before you reach them – and modifies the speed accordingly. For intelligent driving and a significant efficiency advantage.
Implemented for the first time at Porsche in the Panamera, the system uses the knowledge gained from its prediction horizon of up to 1.8 miles to formulate the optimum timing for acceleration, constant speed driving and deceleration phases to provide a harmonious driving experience.
Imagine, for example, that a speed restriction is in force further along the route but the traffic sign is not yet in sight of the driver: the system already knows that deceleration will be required and initiates a fuel-saving coasting maneuver.
Traffic Jam Assist
Another feature of Porsche InnoDrive including adaptive cruise control is Traffic Jam Assist. It eases the burden on the driver when congestion is encountered on major highways.
At speeds of up to approximately 37 mph, the system uses gentle steering inputs to keep the vehicle in the middle of the lane, regulates the distance from vehicles in front and follows the queue ahead where system limitations allow. To do this, Traffic Jam Assist tracks roadway signs and other vehicles on the road.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag

In short it is almost like Tesla Autopilot, only a lot better. If that says anything.

With InnoDrive you can enable/disable quite a few options:
- Active Lane assist (self steering)
- Speed assist (keeps track of speed limits and does its best to keep them)
- Planning for traffic and road ahead (up to 3 km). I've experienced it recognize roundabouts on my car, slowing down, keeping speed and accellerating out of it (though with driver steering the car).
- I heard somewhere that "park assist" is coming (probably to cars with 3d-view cameras).

And probably a bit more assistanse tools.

I drive quite a lot in heavy traffic and sometimes on vacation. PID is a great tool for getting around when you're idling as a driver.

EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I thought InnoDrive was just a more intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control and you had to still steer the car. Is that not that case? Can I set a destination with InnoDrive active and the car will "drive" me there?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
In short it is almost like Tesla Autopilot, only a lot better. If that says anything.

With InnoDrive you can enable/disable quite a few options:
- Active Lane assist (self steering)
- Speed assist (keeps track of speed limits and does its best to keep them)
- Planning for traffic and road ahead (up to 3 km). I've experienced it recognize roundabouts on my car, slowing down, keeping speed and accellerating out of it (though with driver steering the car).
- I heard somewhere that "park assist" is coming (probably to cars with 3d-view cameras).

And probably a bit more assistanse tools.

I drive quite a lot in heavy traffic and sometimes on vacation. PID is a great tool for getting around when you're idling as a driver.
That sounds so good! Unfortunately I could not select InnoDrive nor Lane Assist. All not available in this country, which I don't understand. I ordered ACC, but have no hope, that it is any better than in my 2011 Audi A7.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That sounds so good! Unfortunately I could not select InnoDrive nor Lane Assist. All not available in this country, which I don't understand. I ordered ACC, but have no hope, that it is any better than in my 2011 Audi A7.
They talk about being county specific as the InnoDrive feature needs detailed map information with elevation figures as well as road position with accurate curve detail to adjust speeds ahead of time.

Even if not available now, it may be coming to your area. You can check with your country Porsche rep.

Not sure if there are any other reasons for not being available like in-country laws.

Sport Mode

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S P100D, Range Rover SVR, Porsche 4S, De Tomaso Pantera
Country flag
"It is also supposed to know what happens 3km ahead of you", this would come in handy for those traveling at 240 kph on the autobahn ;-)