Is it worth getting the car ceramic coated ?

Toro69

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is it worth getting the car ceramic coated
Sponsored

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I with current products and increase in brands prices are very reasonable. I did mine for around $600 usd but you need to ensure that paint is perfect prior to application as it will lock in micro scratches. Some of my paint with Porsche have been perfect but my Taycan was terrible and required another 8 hours of paint correction/2 stage polish prior.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Is it worth getting the car ceramic coated
We have purchased four Porsche' and all are glass coated (ceramic in marketing speak). Would never have a new car without it. The oldest is a 2012 Cayman S Black Edition that still turns heads and beads water like the best wax. You will love how easy the car will be to wash, especially the wheels.

Am not a fan of plastic film of any kind - they give you more rock-chip protection (you get some with ceramic, especially Modesta BC-04 with Titanium), but plastic has too many refractive layers for me and the edges collect dust. And paint correction seems to be done with less care by some plastic film installers.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
We have purchased four Porsche' and all are glass coated (ceramic in marketing speak). Would never have a new car without it. The oldest is a 2012 Cayman S Black Edition that still turns heads and beads water like the best wax. You will love how easy the car will be to wash, especially the wheels.

Am not a fan of plastic film of any kind - they give you more rock-chip protection (you get some with ceramic, especially Modesta BC-04 with Titanium), but plastic has too many refractive layers for me and the edges collect dust. And paint correction seems to be done with less care by some plastic film installers.
I have both ceramic coating and full front PPF on my Taycan 4S. The ceramic was coated over the PPF after installation. I had minor paint correction work done also to make sure the surface was pristine prior to PPF and ceramic coating. I also did ceramic coating of my Mission E wheels, probably didn't need it as much as my car has Porsche surface coated brakes and there is minimal brake dust with these brakes/calipers. It makes the car really easy to clean/wash, and the surface is like a mirror. I think it was well worth the cost if you want your car to look as good as it possibly can. Cost can be high, I spent over $2,000 for all my work, but it was worth it to me for the investment I already made in this car. The PPF does show dust around the edges, but I have very few edges showing and it is really not noticeable and can be cleaned up with a ceramic detailer spray and wipe. The protection from rock chips has already saved my paint in its first 2 months more than once. The paint correction and preparation work is more important than the type of ceramic coating that you use in my opinion.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Ceramic coating is focused mainly on maintaining the shine and simplifying cleaning. PPF is mainly for protecting against stone chips. Almost all of my cars in the past 15 years have had PPF. For a car like my Aston, it was worth the investment to do a complete paint correction, XPEL PPF and ceramic coating. It was not cheap (about $8k with estimates approaching $12k). The PPF is wrapped around the edges of most of the panels so you cannot tell that the entire car has PPF and I have no issues with dust on the edges. To a large extent, it is the difference between a less expensive and more expensive PPF installation. Keep in mind that Ceramic Coatings also require maintenance. I have the finish decontaminated and a booster applied to the Aston on a yearly basis (about $150).

I opted to skip everything for my Taycan. Much of it is because of its color (Mamba Green). It has a ton of metallic flake, and does not show stone chips as much as on my darker cars. I enjoy hand washing my cars (foam canon, filtered water rinses) so the benefits of ceramic coating are much less apparent for my Taycan. Fyi the next generation of PPF is not only self healing, but has the ceramic coating as part of the film.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
As other have said, PPF AND Ceramic Coating is the way to go! Put the Ceramic Coating on top of the PPF.

On my cars, I only do the "front clip" with PPF. I do not do the entire car. While, there is nothing wrong with doing the whole car, I've never felt it was necessary.

Additionally, I have always done the Ceramic Coating myself. You also don't have to pay thousands of dollars to get this done. I prefer to have complete control of the process (washing, buffing, stripping, prepping, multiple coats, multiple top coats, etc) and you will become very familiar with your car during the process! One bottle of CQuartz UK 3.0 (less than $100) can do several cars but it will take some time and patience. You will want to have some other potions and tools on hand but that is fodder for another (very long) thread in itself. (I may be able to find one I created on the BMW i8 forums a couple of years ago if needed)

Pardon the "creepiness", but for me, its akin to the "wedding night" for my new cars. Lots of hands-on time. I've been coating my cars myself for many years and can complete the entire initial prep and coatings in about 2 days in a heated garage. If you are doing it for the first time, I would allow a week so as not to rush anything. However, once the car is fully prepped (inc washing, clay bar, buffing, and initial paint prep) for the very first time you shouldn't have to ever do it again. The prep is the longest part of the process. Ongoing (yearly) ceramic maintenance is pretty quick...

Once you put a ceramic coating on a car you will never do without it again....

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I have had it done to my cars for years and its definitely been worth it. I like washing polish my own cars and also can repair very mall chips very well so I skip PPF

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I'm just going to plagiarize @rbt3 :

I (too) have both ceramic coating and full front PPF on my Taycan 4S. The ceramic was coated over the PPF after installation. I had minor paint correction work done also to make sure the surface was pristine prior to PPF and ceramic coating. I also did ceramic coating of my wheels and protectant/hydrophobic coating on the glass.

I went with XPEL PPF and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra with EXOv4 for coatings

taycan4ny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cayenne hybrid
Country flag
What is the ballpark price for both ceramic coating and PPF? I am taking delivery in a few weeks and not sure if I should let the dealership do it or take it somewhere else.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
What is the ballpark price for both ceramic coating and PPF? I am taking delivery in a few weeks and not sure if I should let the dealership do it or take it somewhere else.
Dealership = Never. They are only going to sub it out to the very same folks you MIGHT pick to do the work anyway. You want to make that decision.

Anytime I buy a car, I always schedule my Window Tinting and PPF (front clip) well before the car is delivered. The shop I use does both for me but you gotta schedule pretty far in advance. For me, scheduling the Window Tinting and the PPF is a routine part of my buying/delivery process. (I do the ceramic coating and the paint prep myself as its not nearly as "artsy" a task as applying window or body film).

Ask around. Speak with other owners in your area and see who they recommend. Don't let the dealership sub it out to someone who serves THEIR goals best (and then overcharge you for it).

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I paid ~$1500 for the full-front PPE wrap and about $2,000 for the paint correction, ceramic, wheels and glass. I went with admittedly higher-priced options for my area, but I was paying for known quality.

I absolutely concur with the advice above that you want to find and contract with these providers directly and not through your dealer. That will save you a tremendous dealer markup, and more importantly allow you to select a provider with a known track record in your area. There are any number of detailing and paint protection forums online, or even local-area Porsche/exotics Facebook groups you should look at to see who is recommended in your area. Almost certainly there will be two or three names that will consistently bubble to the top. You should pick one of them. You'll get high quality results and it may still be cheaper than whatever low-cost providers your dealership subs out to (or, God forbid, if the dealership tries to do it themselves)

Brent

Last edited:

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Yes.

much easier maintenance. Insects, bird droppings can be easily washed away. And no more waxing.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I paid ~$1500 for the full-front PPE wrap and about $2,000 for the paint correction, ceramic, wheels and glass. I went to with admittedly high-priced options for my area, but I was paying for known quality.

I absolutely concur with the advice above that you want to find and contract with these providers directly and not through your dealer. That will save you a tremendous dealer markup, and more importantly allow you to select a provider with a known track record in your area. There are any number of detailing and paint protection forums online, or even local-area Porsche/exotics Facebook groups you should look at to see who is recommended in your area. Almost certainly there will be two or three names that will consistently bubble to the top. You should pick one of them. You'll get high quality results and it may still be cheaper than whatever low-cost providers your Dealership subs out to (or God forbid, if the Dealership tries to do it themselves)

Brent
My detail is chronicled in a YouTube video under glossitdetailstudio.com, it shows the PPF applied to the front of the car and the ceramic coating work done. It was posted on Youtube about 2 months ago. I used Gloss-It Detail Studios here in Las Vegas, the owner Richard did a fantastic job and I feel was exceptionally detailed in the work done on my car. I highly recommend them or someone similar, especially with the paint correction portion.
Sponsored