BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
I have posted the issues with my Taycan here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/stranded-by-electrical-system-failure.9320/

I am starting another thread because I would like some advice about asking for a full refund for this car under the Nevada "Lemon Law" (NV 597.600).

My entire Taycan experience has been very negative. First the car sat in my garage for 3 weeks because it was delivered with summer tires in January. One might have expected the sales rep to say - don't you want to select the all-season tires. No one helped with any of the configuration - including that. This forum was much more helpful.

Then after I finally get all-season tires on the car, it dies on my second round-trip to Carson City. They don't even look at the car for 3 days, and now, 12 days in, they haven't even ordered parts. I mentioned the Lemon Law to the sales rep today and it seems to have raised my priority a bit (it was clearly close to zero before).

I am so unhappy at this point that if I could get a full refund, I'd take it and buy a different car.

My read of the law (https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-597.html#NRS597Sec620) is that if the car is out of service for more than 30 days trying to correct the defect, they have to take it back.

Unfortunately there is this weasel language in the law:

except that if the necessary repairs cannot be made for reasons which are beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agent or authorized dealer, the number of days required to give rise to the presumption must be appropriately extended.​

They are at 12 days now. I'm sure if they run past 30 they will argue that delays in getting parts were out of their control. However, not looking at the car for 3 days and not ordering parts for 12 days were certainly within their control.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not giving up yet, but I'd like to understand my options. At the rate they are going, it's going to take way more than 30 days.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Sounds to me that for some reason you didn't really want the car or weren't looking forward to it even when it arrived? Circumstances change, or maybe you're just put off the whole experience. The only reason I query is that it's just so counter to my experience and seemingly so many on here looking forward to their cars being delivered.
I can't imagine that if it goes over 30 days they are going to nitpick over a technicality. I would think they want you to be happy with the purchase, and if you're not going to be, they will buy it back. And what with the Taycan market right now compared to when you ordered it, they'll sell it to someone who wants a Taycan right now, maybe even at a small premium over what you ordered 3 months ago, or a small loss in order to keep you happy.
Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really do like the Taycan, but I'm not sure I want *this* Taycan. I was very much looking forward to taking delivery, but between the tires and the electrical issue, in the month and a half since I took delivery I've been able to drive it exactly twice, and the second time it left me on the side of a mountain road with rapidly dropping temperatures.

Much of my frustration is with the dealership which really doesn't seem to care.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry for your experience but the thing with the tires is in no way anyone’s fault and maybe even yours. Cars, especially performance models, always get delivered with summer tires. You were just completely relying on other people on that.

With the pandemic and chip shortage 12 days is a common scenario these days. I agree with other people here that it seems that you do not really want that car in the first place.

Did you get a loaner for this whole time?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with the others, don't be reactionary and too emotional when making these decisions... could end up costing you more in time and money.

My 2 months old Taycan has been in the shop for over 7 days to fix a few minor issues... It's really out of the dealer's control. Most dealership will only 1 to 2 techs certified to work on the Taycan, and currently every dealership is understaffed with techs out sick with no warning. 12 days really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored