Losing Range Fast Overnight

not a wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
My Taycan loses 30+ miles of charging each night when not plugged in. Last night it went from 166 miles to 134 miles. Also when driving range drops extremely fast as well. I start with 180 miles, drive 5 miles to my work and it reads 160 miles (range mode). I bought this vehicle last week pre-owned with 12,000 miles and when I drove the 75 miles back to my home from the dealer it dropped from 250 miles of range to ~130 miles too, which I found weird in the moment but I assumed it was just getting used to my driving but I've confirmed now that it drops range like a rock. What might be causing this issue and is it something I can fix? The dealer, unfortunately, will not answer my calls nor call me back about the issue.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Sounds like a battery issue. Make the dealer fix it.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Definitely not normal, if it still has Warranty (which it should) than you can bring it to any dealer.

OP
OP

not a wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Sounds like a battery issue. Make the dealer fix it.
Definitely not normal, if it still has Warranty (which it should) than you can bring it to any dealer.
So I basically have a lemon - thankfully I have a warranty with it. It's a CPO though, how'd it get certified with such a glaringly bad issue??

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I basically have a lemon - thankfully I have a warranty with it. It's a CPO though, how'd it get certified with such a glaringly bad issue??
Nobody said you have a lemon. Just bring it in for service and let them fix it. You might get a brand new battery out of the deal.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
The dealer tried to cheat you. If he does not pick it up and pays you back: Than I would definitely talk to Porsche NA, so that he loses his license given the fact that he CPOd it in this state and is ghosting you. Was the carfax clean?

Which dealer was that so that we don’t buy anything there?

OP
OP

not a wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
The dealer tried to cheat you. If he does not pick it up and pays you back: Than I would definitely talk to Porsche NA, so that he loses his license given the fact that he CPOd it in this state and is ghosting you. Was the carfax clean?

Which dealer was that so that we don’t buy anything there?
It was a clean car fax. Everything about the car seemed nice. When I inspected it before purchase it looked great. I test drove it but I didn't really pay attention to the range or battery percentage - I wish I did now.

I'll hold off on naming and shaming until I see whether or not it has an issue. I will not be taking it back to the dealer I bought it from though. I don't trust them after this.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll hold off on naming and shaming until I see whether or not it has an issue.
Based on your description of the problem, it for sure has an issue. Don’t let them tell you any different.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Not normal. Mine is new and I have not been able to drive it much due to work or family travel.
I left it at 50% of charge standing for 10 days, 7 days, or 4 days and it did not lose a single percent during those periods, which I thought was pretty impressive and I do check on it periodically.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It was a clean car fax. Everything about the car seemed nice. When I inspected it before purchase it looked great. I test drove it but I didn't really pay attention to the range or battery percentage - I wish I did now.
I wouldn't beat yourself up for not checking range/efficiency on a test drive.....
If you e joy driving, its not something you would normally be taking any notice of then.

Sounds like a fault though. Take it in.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My Taycan loses 30+ miles of charging each night when not plugged in. Last night it went from 166 miles to 134 miles. Also when driving range drops extremely fast as well. I start with 180 miles, drive 5 miles to my work and it reads 160 miles (range mode). I bought this vehicle last week pre-owned with 12,000 miles and when I drove the 75 miles back to my home from the dealer it dropped from 250 miles of range to ~130 miles too, which I found weird in the moment but I assumed it was just getting used to my driving but I've confirmed now that it drops range like a rock. What might be causing this issue and is it something I can fix? The dealer, unfortunately, will not answer my calls nor call me back about the issue.
Battery warranty is 8 years.

Take it back to the dealer.

Clearly a fault.

911-TOUR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 911 Carrera T
Country flag
This sounds to me like the HVAC is running overnight. Check your timers and see if there is any anomaly there.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
are miles dropping or battery %

miles are just "a guess" and easily mislead due to recent driving style…

are you losing actual battery % and in what quantities?

what does the trip computer say for consumption?

I'm not saying you don't have a fault- but the guess-o-meter miles changing and showing different results is not conclusive that you have a battery problem.

also hard acceleration is expensive in terms of battery consumption and will skew the milage numbers much lower

as to if you have ana actual battery problem - dealer service can check it out - and you can try and drive it and see what battery percentage you're losing/gaining/consuming for a given know set of miles.

my 2020 Taycan Turbo is about a 240 mile vehicle in mild weather driven normally and loses no battery % overnight (unless I'm running the HVAC)

Taycan's consumption should be in the 2.6 mile/kWh to 3.2 mile/kWh range for normal/expected consumption.

I doubt you have a lemon - but you may have fault - but the battery warranty is extensive and ultimately if there is a problem it will be fixed.

is this your first EV?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
here is my "trip data" from the my.porsche website…it is much more accurate/reliable than simply reviewing the guess-o-meter miles displayed in the dash- the vehicles has 35,xxx miles on it and has been completely reliable.

Porsche Taycan Losing Range Fast Overnight IMG_1791

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
If it's not something like perpetually on heated seats consuming the battery, it sounds like you have several bad cells in the battery. After charging, the cells balance voltage and a bad cell paired with a good one will suck the charge from the good cell. If it's as bad as you describe, it sounds like it should be covered by warranty.
Sponsored