Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Are you saying existing cars will be able to be retrofitted with HUD?
Sponsored

Stefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid, Dodge RAM
Country flag
no, it‘s just for new orders (that was the statement from my seller, had asked directly in the factory Zuffenhausen)

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
There is already space for a HUD above the speedometer (you can already see the square above where the projector will sit). I noticed this during a test drive and my seller confirmed it.
I remain skeptical Porsche would implement a new feature/option to this vehicle this soon. While they very well could be working on it, I wouldn't expect something for at least a year or so. We shall see. It might be something the dealer can install in their service center, too. I'd love to have one on mine.

Stefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche does not like to pass on such information to customers in advance, as some would otherwise wait to order.

I know the seller for a long time, otherwise I would not have received this information. Another customer also ordered his Taycan, an upgrade from the HUD and 22 kw loader was important to him, but could not be confirmed.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Wonder if the 22 kw might be accomplished by using both charging ports, Porsche says both can be used for AC charging

Porsche Taycan Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW? IMG_7661.PNG

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wonder if the 22 kw might be accomplished by using both charging ports, Porsche says both can be used for AC charging

IMG_7661.PNG
I recall reading and hearing from Calvin Kim that at least for the power ports are interlocked to prevent both from being opened. That of course cannot be done for the manual ports. I know that the Zero E-Motorcycle can have two level 2 chargers connected simultaneously for more power.

Stefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
not the Taycan, you can use only 1 x 11 kw like the Model 3 from Tesla. You need 7-8 hours for full charging at home.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Correct, when one charge port is connected the other charge port door is locked. The is a safety feature of the car. It cannot charge faster that 11Kw currently. I really don’t think 22Kw charging will be available for at least a year.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Please don't anyone in the USA get too excited about the charging rate mentioned by @Stefan and @Gogs above of 11kW as that is a European special requiring 3 phase power not available in the USA. We get 9.6kW Level 2 charging, still over night. ;)

About 9hrs if you somehow needed a full charge from near 0%.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have a home AC station that charges my Tesla SP100D with 16KW and my office Renault Zoe with 22KW. On the same station, the Taycan charges at 9.6KW/h.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I remain skeptical Porsche would implement a new feature/option to this vehicle this soon. While they very well could be working on it, I wouldn't expect something for at least a year or so. We shall see. It might be something the dealer can install in their service center, too. I'd love to have one on mine.
HUD is coming. The sales representative showed this to me in the newsletter they get from Porsche.

These are the changes he mentioned.

-22Kw charger
-HUD
-apple carplay wireless
-Tail lights animation
-Porsche logo rear in blue-ish
-Additional carbon exterior parts
-remote park assist (presumably)
-soft close (presumably)
-no wireless charging

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
HUD is coming. The sales representative showed this to me in the newsletter they get from Porsche.

-22Kw charger
-HUD
-apple carplay wireless
-Tail lights animation
-soft close (presumably)
-no wireless charging
at least some of those (apple carplay wifi for example) is coming to all of us via a software update, according to my dealer

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

-22Kw charger
-HUD
-apple carplay wireless
-Tail lights animation
-soft close (presumably)
-no wireless charging
Do tell! Did you happen to get a copy of that newsletter? Did it say when these features will be available? When you say “no wireless charging”, you mean that it said that they have no plans to offer that?

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Did you happen to get a copy of that newsletter?
Exactly. It's all hearsay until I see some corroborating data, especially when line items are listed as "presumably".

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I've read numerous articles and technical specs, however, I'm still confused: Is the current version of the Taycan limited to 9.6 kW charging in case AC is delivered to the car or does it charge at 11 kW? Some articles state, that the current onboard charger can do 9.6 kW at maximum, which would mean, that even with 3 phase AC current, the Taycan would only charge at 9.6 kW. Is this correct?

I do understand, that as soon as we talk DC (= the rectifier being outside the car) everything changes.

Could somebody shed some light into this for me? :)
In the UK, with 3 phase AC you can get it charging at its max of 11Kw. The normal house is the UK is single phase, unless you live in a mansion with a lift! You might have 3 phase. So single phase is 7Kw and you will charge at that at home. The 22Kw potential onboard charger would be useful at commercial 22Kw AC chargers as you’ll get fully charged in 4.5 hours give it take. So for me, I don’t really care about 22Kw on board charging as in public spaces I’ll be plugging into CCS DC 50Kw mostly.
Sponsored