Motor/engine decoupling for taycan 4 cross turismo

Manbeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar
Country flag
Hi all,

How come the range of the cross turismo 4 is less than the range of the taycan RWD?

I heard something about the CT4 not being able to decouple the front or rear axles in range mode?

Isn't this issue solved by the newest update in which the front axle to be decoupled in range and normal mode for 4 wheel drive taycan's?

In that case, the range of the RWD and the CT4 should be the same right? Or am I missing something....

Cheers,

Selim
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The front decoupling is an electrical decoupling, not a mechanical. There is still a gearbox and motor to back-drive on the AWD cars.

But (I assume) they aren’t sourcing current from the inverter or providing a path for the front motor to dissipate energy.

AWD is heavier also.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Hi all,

How come the range of the cross turismo 4 is less than the range of the taycan RWD?

I heard something about the CT4 not being able to decouple the front or rear axles in range mode?

Isn't this issue solved by the newest update in which the front axle to be decoupled in range and normal mode for 4 wheel drive taycan's?

In that case, the range of the RWD and the CT4 should be the same right? Or am I missing something....

Cheers,

Selim
Say there existed a RWD Cross Turismo that were otherwise identical to the RWD sedan model (HV battery capacity, ride height). That imaginary RWDCT would have slightly lower range due to its bodyshape’s effect on aerodynamics.

Add back the AWD and like @Jhenson29 says, the additional weight contributes to consumption too.

Yet another factor - if I recall correctly, the RWD was homologated later than the CT, and efficiencies implemented since the CT was first introduced are still not represented in its declared EPA/WLTP ranges.

As far as I know, the MY22 Cross Turismo does already have the ability to disengage the front drive in its original production form, and now the P update refines that capability further.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all,

Cheers,

Selim
T4CT has 2 motors, PB+ as standard, and therefore heavier.

RWD has a single motor, no estate version and PB as standard.

Therefore more potential range in AWD.

OP
OP

Manbeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar
Country flag

Does this mean that the range of the cross turismo 4S and the cross turismo 4 with both the performance battery+ is the same?

What do you think?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Sport Turismo RWD?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Does this mean that the range of the cross turismo 4S and the cross turismo 4 with both the performance battery+ is the same?

What do you think?
Yes that’s what the website says anyway.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Hi all,

Cheers,

Selim
It’s heavier, higher, and with the trunk worse aerodynamics than the RWD sedan.

For what it’s worth: for me 300-350 km real 120-130 kmh highway range is prefect to travel comfortably with the fast charging of the Taycan. Stops are 20-25 minutes. Just enough for coffee and restroom and stretch the legs.

The difference between the two extremes may be significant on a road-trip CT Turbo S with 21 inch wheels , electric charge door, without heat pump vs RWD sedan 19 inch manual charge door and with heat pump in the winter.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

What do you think?
Probably not - std wheels are different.

They won't be miles apart.

Use the Porsche range checker to compare.

Deleted member 6348

CT is not as aerodynamic as the sedan. So, if everything else was equal, it still wouldn’t be as efficient as the sedan.
Sponsored