JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Think there is a lot of material about the future in this article on a lot of topics which requires careful reading. One example is the comment on batteries "With today’s battery cell technology, the batteries are the biggest and heaviest part of the car – and this could be true for the next decade or so ". So no new battery tech for quite awhile.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
The weight is interesting.. ICE isnt light.. all cars are getting heavy.. Taycan weight = Cayenne weight. So its not 2x the weight. Battery tech is one, but how they are packaged etc is a way to save weight as well - Tesla is building the batteries into the structure of the car. Overall - there are lots of steps to leverage the technology \ manage the weight. Another angle is everyone wants more range where the simple path is to put in a bigger battery which is more weight - balance of efficiency comes into play, but the speed of charging should also be a vector - People only ask me how much range the taycan has - its not a simple answer other than that we have never had an issue.. spend as much time over the year recharging at public stations than we would have pumped gas.

I love the innovation the most! lets keep changing the world :)

phil.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It looks more like "normal" Boxster than I was expecting given the Mission R and a lot of the subsequent renderings that followed. I hope to be in the market someday - especially when they get the weight down.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
It looks more like "normal" Boxster than I was expecting given the Mission R and a lot of the subsequent renderings that followed. I hope to be in the market someday - especially when they get the weight down.
How can they get the weight down if battery tech is the limiting factor?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
How can they get the weight down if battery tech is the limiting factor?
I’m the past they would just cut lots of big circles. They could just use that strategy?