First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lots of Porsche cars, 911, cayenne, Macan,
Country flag
Hello all,

Long time multi Porsche owner. Considering the plunge.

Challenge is that the most important drive we do is from a little southwest of Boston to our second home in the Lake Placid NY area. Its 273 miles door to door.

I NEVER take the pike or the North Way. Prefer 93 to 89 to backroads across VT and over into NY state at the Crown Point Bridge.

There are supposedly charging stations in West Lebanon, NH and in Middlebury, VT, but am concerned about availability, wait times, charging times, etc. I really don't want to leave on a Thursday night and find out that I need a 45 minute charge to have a margin to get home.

I know there are some chargers along 93 in the major rest areas south of Concord. Just not sure if there are ever wait times and whether rapid charging works there.

So, regrettably, absent your thoughtful input, I feel I need to wait for a 320 mi range Porsche EV to make it door to door and skip the rural en route charging.

Thoughts greatly appreciate and humbly accepted.

Chris
Sponsored

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Hello all,

Long time multi Porsche owner. Considering the plunge.

Challenge is that the most important drive we do is from a little southwest of Boston to our second home in the Lake Placid NY area. Its 273 miles door to door.

I NEVER take the pike or the North Way. Prefer 93 to 89 to backroads across VT and over into NY state at the Crown Point Bridge.

There are supposedly charging stations in West Lebanon, NH and in Middlebury, VT, but am concerned about availability, wait times, charging times, etc. I really don't want to leave on a Thursday night and find out that I need a 45 minute charge to have a margin to get home.

I know there are some chargers along 93 in the major rest areas south of Concord. Just not sure if there are ever wait times and whether rapid charging works there.

So, regrettably, absent your thoughtful input, I feel I need to wait for a 320 mi range Porsche EV to make it door to door and skip the rural en route charging.

Thoughts greatly appreciate and humbly accepted.

Chris
If you take the pike instead, you will have no problem - you'd need a 15min charge stop in Albany (and there are a couple of backup options). Taking 93/89 is more challenging - EA is putting three new chargers on that route but they aren't there yet. Here's the site and screenshot. Maybe if you call EA they would tell you when they will be turned on. The grey ones are "coming soon". Look for the high speed 150kw or 350kw chargers.

If you are thinking of doing that drive in the winter it may be a bit more challenging. Plan for 250 miles of range in good weather (maybe pushing 300 if you drive carefully in range mode), but less in the winter with snow tires (maybe about 65% of the good weather range so 165mi - 200mi or so).

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/
Porsche Taycan New England Charging -- Boston to Lake Placid 1617155887037

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
consult plugshare.com - look for CCS chargers - I’m pretty sure this area will be well covered.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a better route planner will also help with rood trip planning.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
orange” map pins are “fast DC” chargers - any of these would top off your Taycan on the way to lake placid - and there are some “coming soon” ones - this trip is very doable today - and will only get better over time as more chargers are added - the trend is more fast chargers not fewer…

but this seems a easy trip - and the Taycan is a solid 260 mile vehicle if driven correctly - 290 miles if driven conservatively.

Porsche Taycan New England Charging -- Boston to Lake Placid B8C9E646-B87C-45F6-9DCC-28646A671784

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a better route planner says 1 stop - 21 minutes - arrive in lake placid with 11% battery

Porsche Taycan New England Charging -- Boston to Lake Placid 86C2201B-B343-49D9-8DFE-6BDFC1C72C90

OP
OP

verdibaritone

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lots of Porsche cars, 911, cayenne, Macan,
Country flag
Fabulous! Thank you for all the information! You've highlighted some resources I was not aware of, despite my browsing this site intermittently for several months.

Deeply appreciated.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE: regardless of actual status today - we're in a period of "things getting better" not worse with regards to EV fast charging - any thing "possible" today will be "easier" tomorrow - as the trend is more EV's and more fast charging - and in my opinion it's already pretty good "today"…

some trips still will require some planning and preparation (checking site logs/check-ins to make sure charger is recently 'functional') - but over time it's going to get easier not harder - I see no reason to delay a purchase of a great car for trips that are possible, knowing that in a year or so it simply get better and easier.
Sponsored