SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I have had this happen several times. And when it does I get some kind of error message from the charger tower, saying the charge has failed. I f I am finally able to get a click, charging proceeds normally. Have others had this experience?

I am thinking it may have something to do with the fact that the cable I am trying to connect has just been used by someone else to charge and the cable needs a period of time to cool down before another charge is permitted. I am having the charging terminals examined by the dealer soon.
Sponsored

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Just need to push the connector in and hold for a moment for the click / engagement to take place.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
There are two "clicks" that might occur here, so we need to understand which one you are talking about. First is the click of the handle physically grabbing to the top inside your car. This is part of any J1772 or CCS handle (see THIS PHOTO and the reference to the J1772 lock). In most cases if that lock has not engaged, the charging will have an error.

Second locking is a pin, on the car side, that Porsche has included to prevent your vehicle being unplugged during a charging session. This pin drops once the car senses the handle and is about to start charging. Releasing this pin is done with the button adjacent to the charge port, prior to pressing handle on the J1772 and removing it from the car.

Side note: Since you list USA I'm using our domestic terminology, not European CCS-- but the principles are the same.

I'm guessing the issue you have is actually related to the first pin, on the handle. Sometimes debris, or a shifted rubber seal, can cause issues with handles not fully engaging. Try a different charger handle and see if that resolves the issue. Years ago I did have a car that had debris on the car side of the equation and it needed extracted, so look inside the handle, and inside the car receptacle, too. Cheers!

OP
OP
SteveDC

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
There are two "clicks" that might occur here, so we need to understand which one you are talking about. First is the click of the handle physically grabbing to the top inside your car. This is part of any J1772 or CCS handle (see THIS PHOTO and the reference to the J1772 lock). In most cases if that lock has not engaged, the charging will have an error.

Second locking is a pin, on the car side, that Porsche has included to prevent your vehicle being unplugged during a charging session. This pin drops once the car senses the handle and is about to start charging. Releasing this pin is done with the button adjacent to the charge port, prior to pressing handle on the J1772 and removing it from the car.

Side note: Since you list USA I'm using our domestic terminology, not European CCS-- but the principles are the same.

I'm guessing the issue you have is actually related to the first pin, on the handle. Sometimes debris, or a shifted rubber seal, can cause issues with handles not fully engaging. Try a different charger handle and see if that resolves the issue. Years ago I did have a car that had debris on the car side of the equation and it needed extracted, so look inside the handle, and inside the car receptacle, too. Cheers!
Thanks for both of your replies. I will try holding the “nozzle” in more to see if that helps. It was a scary moment, as I was down to about 20% and no obvious, reliable alternative charging station— that would eat up even more energy and THAT second one could fail as well. Ari has answered a question I’ve always had even in successful charges. Why I have to wait a period of time before trying to remove the nozzle. It’s the Porsche locking mechanism at work. I’m still taking the car in for a look see.
Sponsored