Charging cable type for Taycan

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Hi folks. Looking for advice. My dealership 'owe' me the correct charging cable.
The one I have is relatively thin and could only charge my car at about 3.5kw from my 7.2kw wall box. Would the other version they supply (rated at 32A) and about 6m long give me the full 7.2kw charging ability? Sorry ...I'm rubbish with the whole kw/A business!
TIA
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi folks. Looking for advice. My dealership 'owe' me the correct charging cable.
The one I have is relatively thin and could only charge my car at about 3.5kw from my 7.2kw wall box. Would the other version they supply (rated at 32A) and about 6m long give me the full 7.2kw charging ability? Sorry ...I'm rubbish with the whole kw/A business!
TIA
I assume you are describing the EVSE ( wall box?) that was deliverd with your Taycan. In the UK you seem to mostly have single phase supply to your homes and then yes you would need the cable rated at 32 amps.

The thinner cable is most likely just rated at 16 amps.
16 amps times 230 volts is about 3. 7 kW
32 amps times 230 volts is about 7.4 kW.

OP
OP
Abdul

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume you are describing the EVSE ( wall box?) that was deliverd with your Taycan. In the UK you seem to mostly have single phase supply to your homes and then yes you would need the cable rated at 32 amps.

The thinner cable is most likely just rated at 16 amps.
16 amps times 230 volts is about 3. 7 kW
32 amps times 230 volts is about 7.4 kW.
Hi Scandinavian
I actually have a separate wallbox (Project EV) but the cable is thin. Sounds like they're offering the correct one now! Thanks

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Car should have been supplied with two supply cables -13A 3 pin for portable / emergency use and a 32A industrial connector cable - and an EVSE to car cable of either 4.5m (std) or 7.5m (optional).

For home use you must have a dedicated 32A supply from your fuse box to your EVSE to get 7.4kW on single phase. If anything less then you will get reduced power e.g. 16A for 3.7kW.

The cable looks unlikely to be the issue unless your replacement cable is 16A rated.

Do you have a fused 32A to your wall box?

OP
OP
Abdul

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car should have been supplied with two supply cables -13A 3 pin for portable / emergency use and a 32A industrial connector cable - and an EVSE to car cable of either 4.5m (std) or 7.5m (optional).

For home use you must have a dedicated 32A supply from your fuse box to your EVSE to get 7.4kW on single phase. If anything less then you will get reduced power e.g. 16A for 3.7kW.

The cable looks unlikely to be the issue unless your replacement cable is 16A rated.

Do you have a fused 32A to your wall box?
Hi Adrian
Defo 32A supply from the consumer unit, single phase. New cable is 32A rated apparently

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Adrian
Defo 32A supply from the consumer unit, single phase. New cable is 32A rated apparently
Taycan aside do you have another EV which pulls 7.4kW from your wallbox - if so then there could be a communication issue when this setup isconnected to your Taycan?

Earthing could be a problem.

Setting on your wallbox could be a problem.

Quick test would be to disconnect supply side from your wall box and hook up your Porsche EVSE to the supply then connect your Porsche EVSE to car cable and see what you get.

OP
OP
Abdul

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Taycan aside do you have another EV which pulls 7.4kW from your wallbox - if so then there could be a communication issue when this setup isconnected to your Taycan?

Earthing could be a problem.

Setting on your wallbox could be a problem.

Quick test would be to disconnect supply side from your wall box and hook up your Porsche EVSE to the supply then connect your Porsche EVSE to car cable and see what you get.
Thanks. If I use an Audi cable borrowed from a friend, no issues and pulling at 7.4kw from the wallbox. If I use supplied cable from Porsche, half that. Gotta be the cable?....and its v thin compared to the Audi one

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. If I use an Audi cable borrowed from a friend, no issues and pulling at 7.4kw from the wallbox. If I use supplied cable from Porsche, half that. Gotta be the cable?....and its v thin compared to the Audi one
Yep given everything else. Could be they "borrowed" that cable from a Porsche hybrid which has a lower power draw (16A) OR they just made an error.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
Strange how your dealer has a different cable. Presume you're talking about the optioned type 2 charge cable. Both myself and work neighbour who has a Audi Etron GT (FOC from Audi :mad:) received the exact same cable from the VW parts bin. Harting type 2 3ph 32A
Sponsored