Northern Italy charging experience

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I used 2 Ionity chargers today. First one Coquelles plug and charge only one of 6 spots occupied. Left a bit too early and didn’t dare to go to the last Ionity with only 5% charge lest on arrival. Had to use an earlier Ionity. PCM indicated 3/8 free. However only 4 350 kw chargers and one car waiting for a free spot. 2 minutes after me a Polestar arrived. The order of charge was obvious to any one. Took me 10 minutes waiting for the second car leaving the charger. Great when people see there is a queue and still take the time to set the gps, rearrange the mirrors, …, finish the sandwich after unplugging and before clearing the charger.

Arrived at the hotel with 30% SoC. I reserved a parking with charger. They have two 22Kw chargers. I only found out they had chargers when reading a review a couple of days ago. And expecting 3,7 kw. Nice surprise.

Could have done it faster. Should have stayed 5 minutes longer at the first charger. That would have given me the opportunity to go one charger further.
Sponsored

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I used 2 Ionity chargers today. First one Coquelles plug and charge only one of 6 spots occupied. Left a bit too early and didn’t dare to go to the last Ionity with only 5% charge lest on arrival. Had to use an earlier Ionity. PCM indicated 3/8 free. However only 4 350 kw chargers and one car waiting for a free spot. 2 minutes after me a Polestar arrived. The order of charge was obvious to any one. Took me 10 minutes waiting for the second car leaving the charger. Great when people see there is a queue and still take the time to set the gps, rearrange the mirrors, …, finish the sandwich after unplugging and before clearing the charger.

Arrived at the hotel with 30% SoC. I reserved a parking with charger. They have two 22Kw chargers. I only found out they had chargers when reading a review a couple of days ago. And expecting 3,7 kw. Nice surprise.

Could have done it faster. Should have stayed 5 minutes longer at the first charger. That would have given me the opportunity to go one charger further.
You live and learn. Good thing about Taycan vs Tesla is that it’s predictions are relatively accurate

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You live and learn. Good thing about Taycan vs Tesla is that it’s predictions are relatively accurate
It was really accurate actually.
I used ABRP to plan the route and chargers and entered both of them as charge stops in pcm when leaving home. It was pre heated to 45 Celsius both times. If I had relied on pcm it would have chosen a closed Lidl charger.

yesterday before leaving my range after full charge was 465 km. When I entered the trip it directly went down to 370 km. Which was really accurate for the trip I entered in pcm. Don’t know if this is PIRM or standard.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Did you set the Ionity charger that you were aiming for originally in the navigator? You can also set the desired SoC at arrival and the charge planner will then notify you when the charge is sufficient to reach your desired destination. Given that it is within range of course.

I agree it is a mystery why the navigator directs you to a closed charger such as Lidl or Porsche center when planning the route. My experience is to always make sure the route is planned with fixed stopovers. Reason is that once you get a map update the planner will recalculate all charging stops and might well send you to a 50 kW charger, instead of Ionity. The route planning programming needs quite a lot of improvements in my experience.

OP
OP

Bill C

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport, Taycan Turbo, 911 Turbo cab
Country flag
Did you set the Ionity charger that you were aiming for originally in the navigator? You can also set the desired SoC at arrival and the charge planner will then notify you when the charge is sufficient to reach your desired destination. Given that it is within range of course.

I agree it is a mystery why the navigator directs you to a closed charger such as Lidl or Porsche center when planning the route. My experience is to always make sure the route is planned with fixed stopovers. Reason is that once you get a map update the planner will recalculate all charging stops and might well send you to a 50 kW charger, instead of Ionity. The route planning programming needs quite a lot of improvements in my experience.
I agree we’ve got our prefered list and plan b for each , I used a Tesla yesterday was so easy.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Yes I did. But was stubborn wanted to skip one. And my phone said I had 300 km of range but one in the car it pcm indicated 260 which was close. Should have plugged in for 5 minutes sun stead of leaving.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
We were in the Como region this week. I could charge at the house we rented so not many public chargers. Today I wanted to charge at Graun in the Bozen regio. The charger showed on PCM and in the app it accepted the Porsche RFID but wouldn’t start charging after 2 tries I tried the Enel X RFID and it worked. 75 kw. Charged 40% while visiting the suncken church.

Porsche Taycan Northern Italy charging experience 69376DB5-687F-4C0C-8FA5-690214170AC9

OP
OP

Bill C

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport, Taycan Turbo, 911 Turbo cab
Country flag
We were in the Como region this week. I could charge at the house we rented so not many public chargers. Today I wanted to charge at Graun in the Bozen regio. The charger showed on PCM and in the app it accepted the Porsche RFID but wouldn’t start charging after 2 tries I tried the Enel X RFID and it worked. 75 kw. Charged 40% while visiting the suncken church.

69376DB5-687F-4C0C-8FA5-690214170AC9.jpeg
Thanks, well we covered almost 3000 miles, Ionity almost all the way apart from a couple of Tesla charges, good experience even of a weekend when roads were busy. A few chargers were running well below the 350 250 offered but usually 20 minutes done dusted.