Options with a positive effect on the CT 4 range

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
To my understanding the following options will have an optimal potential range:

Heat pump (only difference in cold temp)
Tinted rear windows
Acoustic / thermal isolation glas
According to the sales guy the panoramic roof is so well isolated the it heats up the car less than a dark metal roof and I will order Vulcan Grey
I like the looks of the two color black-white interior, I think this might make a difference too in summer

Staying away from 21 inch wheels and the electric charge door (blocks the air flow around the wheels)
Sponsored

Last edited:

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
To my understanding the following options will have an optimal potential range:

Heat pump (only difference in cold temp)
Tinted rear windows
Acoustic / thermal isolation glas
According to the sales guy the panoramic roof is so well insulated the it heats up the car less than a dark metal roof and I will order Valcan Grey
I like the looks of the two color black-white interior, I think this might make a difference too in summer

Staying away from 21 inch wheels and the electric charge door (blocks the air flow around the wheels)
I haven't seen anything that warrants getting the heatpump (in our climate), my dealer also could not find a good reason to get it, so I did not spec it.
The 21" wheels will reduce range a bit, but not so sure it's worth considering dropping them for only a few km's. If you like them, just get them.
And the electric charge doors ... get them :), they are nice, you get the extra black fin, and you won't get greasy fingers on the lid or forget to close them. No way that the 'airflow' saves you a few km's ... look at how big the wheel wells are compared to the gap you 'win' when dropping the electric doors.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Tires are more impactful than just about every other option there is by a wide margin.

Driving style is also right up there more than any other option listed.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Tires are more impactful than just about every other option there is by a wide margin.

Driving style is also right up there more than any other option listed.
Correct: outside temperature and drive style are probably more important. But I think the range with 21 inch wheels and no heat pump and 5 degrees outside will be reduced. Second question is of course if it is really important because the charging is so fast.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Correct: outside temperature and drive style are probably more important. But I think the range with 21 inch wheels and no heat pump and 5 degrees outside will be reduced. Second question is of course if it is really important because the charging is so fast.
Exactly, I was sort of conservative when I got my 4S, but now I just drive it as I please. For my daily needs it's more than enough that I never need to worry about range.

On road trips charging speeds are so fast, I just gauge it to get to the next charger with 5-10% buffer and hit the road after a 10min charge or so. Charging speed > Range. It's funny when Tesla people realize that even with a better range, the road trip in their Model 3 is gonna take an hour longer to the same destination because they're stuck charging longer.

The Lucid is the first car that really combines both and I can't wait to see some road trip reports from it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Using the calculator on the Porsche web page is quite informative. Scroll down this page:-

https://www.porsche.com/international/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/

The amount of gain is very ambient temperature dependant but also driving style will be a big thing based on my experience, somebody who thinks ahead and has good mechanical understanding will be able to achieve better range than somebody who doesn't.

The heat pump makes a big gain in very cold temperatures.
Eco A/C setting makes a big difference at normal ambient temperature.
The 21" wheels are about 10% worse than the 19s and 20s.
There is a big difference between city and motorway driving etc.

I also wouldn't spec the electric charge door personally they are the biggest pointless waste of money on the options list IMO given you have to be there to plug in the cable anyway! Blocking the air curtain from the wheel arch will be clearly worse for aero but I'd be surprised if a big difference.

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
I have a ct with 20 inch ct wheels because with 21 inch wheels you have 50 kms less range.
heatpump with electric cars is a must. Because you set up the temp at right moments.
i also have the 22kw ac charger option, nice to have and to use when needed. When i’m only for some hours at the office.
i have the ct for 3 weeks, delivered on oct 8 th and have 4100 km.
thermal glass is not needed, had it before, now indidn’t take it.
after been driving with a lot of porsches and taycans, i’ve seen the differences.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Using the calculator on the Porsche web page is quite informative. Scroll down this page:-

https://www.porsche.com/international/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/

The amount of gain is very ambient temperature dependant but also driving style will be a big thing based on my experience, somebody who thinks ahead and has good mechanical understanding will be able to achieve better range than somebody who doesn't.

The heat pump makes a big gain in very cold temperatures.
Eco A/C setting makes a big difference at normal ambient temperature.
The 21" wheels are about 10% worse than the 19s and 20s.
There is a big difference between city and motorway driving etc.

I also wouldn't spec the electric charge door personally they are the biggest pointless waste of money on the options list IMO given you have to be there to plug in the cable anyway! Blocking the air curtain from the wheel arch will be clearly worse for aero but I'd be surprised if a big difference.
I saw it on the Belgian page but it doesn’t say anything about the effect of thermal glass: to difficult to calculate or no substantial effect on the range ?
I have a ct with 20 inch ct wheels because with 21 inch wheels you have 50 kms less range.
heatpump with electric cars is a must. Because you set up the temp at right moments.
i also have the 22kw ac charger option, nice to have and to use when needed. When i’m only for some hours at the office.
i have the ct for 3 weeks, delivered on oct 8 th and have 4100 km.
thermal glass is not needed, had it before, now indidn’t take it.
after been driving with a lot of porsches and taycans, i’ve seen the differences.
thanks really useful. You drove a Taycan with and without thermal glass and you didn’t hear and feel a difference? That’s another 1600 euro saved. Any comment on rear wheel steering on typical Belgian parking lots and cities?

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
I saw it on the Belgian page but it doesn’t say anything about the effect of thermal glass: to difficult to calculate or no substantial effect on the range ?

thanks really useful. You drove a Taycan with and without thermal glass and you didn’t hear and feel a difference? That’s another 1600 euro saved. Any comment on rear wheel steering on typical Belgian parking lots and cities?
Hi,
if you take 21 inch you could take the thermal,isolated glass. With the 20 inch not, lower to non sound when driving. also with the sound system, you hear nothing. Also cell phone connection is less due to insulated glass, poor quality of reception. And quality of some providers is already poor in belgium in certain regions.
rear wheel steering i had it before on the turbo s, i rather drive without, it’s not an added value for me.
i prefer to really drive the car instead the car drives with me. Also the belgian roads , it’s not needed. For some other countries it’s an added value .

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I haven't seen anything that warrants getting the heatpump (in our climate), my dealer also could not find a good reason to get it, so I did not spec it.
The 21" wheels will reduce range a bit, but not so sure it's worth considering dropping them for only a few km's. If you like them, just get them.
And the electric charge doors ... get them :), they are nice, you get the extra black fin, and you won't get greasy fingers on the lid or forget to close them. No way that the 'airflow' saves you a few km's ... look at how big the wheel wells are compared to the gap you 'win' when dropping the electric doors.
21 inch wheels make quite a big difference in range.

The electric opening mechanisme blocs the openings that create an air curtain around the front wheels. I don’t know how much the difference is but why would they include this air curtain if it didn’t make a difference

to each their own to decide of course. Maybe I am making to much about optimizing the range.

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag

21 inch wheels make quite a big difference in range.

The electric opening mechanisme blocs the openings that create an air curtain around the front wheels. I don’t know how much the difference is but why would they include this air curtain if it didn’t make a difference

to each their own to decide of course. Maybe I am making to much about optimizing the range.
19" -> 345km
20"-> 343-345km
21"-> 328km

Heatpump makes a difference of about 10km (or almost 20km when it's REALLY cold)
So best case I could win 15 to 25km of range if I go for 20" instead of 21" ...
Nah ... I'm getting the nice wheels ...
On a long distance trip like ski or summer holiday I'll charge a bit sooner :)

The electric charge port ... since Porsche doesn't even bother to mention a range impact guess there is (close to) none.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Interesting that the 20" Turbo Aero give the best range.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
19" -> 345km
20"-> 343-345km
21"-> 328km

Heatpump makes a difference of about 10km (or almost 20km when it's REALLY cold)
So best case I could win 15 to 25km of range if I go for 20" instead of 21" ...
Nah ... I'm getting the nice wheels ...
On a long distance trip like ski or summer holiday I'll charge a bit sooner :)

The electric charge port ... since Porsche doesn't even bother to mention a range impact guess there is (close to) none.
I see so many comments about options and what they do to the average range. Not sure why there is so much discussion about leaving out certain options to get an extra 10% mileage. When I spec out a car I option what I feel I want to have in a car. If I think 21 inch wheels look better I option it. If I want the sliding charging door I don’t say,”well maybe I will get a few less miles”. I don’t drive with the air conditioning at 77 vs 72. 99% of the people on this forum drive under 200 miles per day. Presuming you have access to home charging ( if not then I can see where a few extra miles might matter)whether I charge daily for one hour or 10 hours really does not matter. For the 3-4 times a year the average person might drive more than 200-250 miles it means one extra stop for 20 minutes. Maybe I’m looking at this in the wrong way. If so let me know. For now I will not worry about range but rather enjoy the ride.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Interesting that the 20" Turbo Aero give the best range.
Flatter design + overall diameter may help at higher speeds. (vs. base 19)

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I see so many comments about options and what they do to the average range. Not sure why there is so much discussion about leaving out certain options to get an extra 10% mileage. When I spec out a car I option what I feel I want to have in a car. If I think 21 inch wheels look better I option it. If I want the sliding charging door I don’t say,”well maybe I will get a few less miles”. I don’t drive with the air conditioning at 77 vs 72. 99% of the people on this forum drive under 200 miles per day. Presuming you have access to home charging ( if not then I can see where a few extra miles might matter)whether I charge daily for one hour or 10 hours really does not matter. For the 3-4 times a year the average person might drive more than 200-250 miles it means one extra stop for 20 minutes. Maybe I’m looking at this in the wrong way. If so let me know. For now I will not worry about range but rather enjoy the ride.
I think you are looking at it the correct way. I haven’t ordered my car yet and taking advantage of the knowledge on this form to make some choices.
Probably an important tip is: don’t worry about range. Charging is so fast it won’t make a difference. I have been fiddling around with ABRP for a longer trip and total travel time doesn’t really change with 20 km less range after each charge.
I am learning a lot. Thanks everybody
Sponsored