f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
don’t get the insulated glass if you want to use cell phones while you are in the car.

in fact Porsche should remove that option, or warn in configurator.
There have been conflicting views on this but you are right that it should be on the configurator if technically evident.
I don't use my phone in the car much, and one of the big attractions of the Taycan was how quiet it can be so...
Sponsored

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I am a discerning listener so I gave up trying to get accurate sound in a car many years ago after so many disappointing wallet emptying attempts to do so.
Makes sense that one could think this way. If you've decided your expectations will be set so low in any environment besides your home audio setup, well then kudos to you for pouring all the audiophile money into 1 outlet.

The environment is too noisy, the distance from listener to loudspeaker driver too close, and vatied, and the volume required to get true deep bass is absent.
I, for one, am not nearly as successful, temporally independent, and/or alone enough to get such a luxury of enjoying my home audio setup regularly with complete silence.

I do spend a ton a good amount of time driving, working, working out, etc, and audio reproduction there matters to me. I've read enough about people saying Bose is good enough that I thought I would share a counter point. It really is a far cry from an upgraded audio system, unless the standard system set the bar extremely low.

Modern digital signal processing can only compensate for a small part of this, the rest you are stuck with, so I stick to doing serious listening in my home on a system whch works well.
It's a lot further along than maybe you realize. There are people out there that still think Bluetooth latency is a thing and are playing the same old tapes about it.

It is Burmester by the way, not Burmeister and they make some splendid stuff, I used to want one of these.
Thanks for catching that. To return the favor, I think you misspelled 'varied' up above as well, my friend.

My home music system cost more than the Taycan, I have ended up with the standard system in my Taycan...
Cool!

Look, I didn't mean to or plan to offend anyone with a standard or Bose system. But I did want to make sure that those staring at the price tags for the audio upgrades get another opinion from someone coming back into Porsche after a long gap in time (last car was a 991.1).

The Bose system did not seem like an upgraded audio system IMHO. I find it odd that Porsche ends up with this strange arrangement with two different audio companies providing solutions within the same car vs. just having several different tiers with one audio company.

I am very glad I was able to spend some time in a Taycan with the Bose system, and it completely changed my opinion. PDCC sounds like something worth sacrificing to partially fund the further upgrade.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Also speccing Burmester without noise insulating glass isn't a smart move.

Cost-wise i'm not sure that the price for Burm+Insulated glass is worth it over the Bose.

If you have already all the specs you want and that money isn't an issue go for it, it's great.
But if you have skipped nice spec to get the Burm, maybe your money is better invested elsewhere.

And i got the Burm + insulated and loves it so it's not some "Burm bashing" ;)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a lot further along than maybe you realize
I have decades of audio experience, both recording concerts and enjoying music at home and I try to keep at the cutting edge, starting with valve tape recorders and now using Metric Halo digital recorders.

True Bose is considered low-fi in the business except, apparently, noise cancelling earphones.
The problem in a car is the distance between speaker drivers and listener(s) and the background noise.
It is possible using DSP to calculate a reasonable faux surround sound to sound quite nice and I am not saying people shouldn’t enjoy music on ear buds and cars just saying the laws of physics limit how good it can be and, IMO, not worth wasting much money on.

I will listen to music in my car from a source which limits the dynamic range to be suitable (IME it sounds better in a car but dire on a good Hi-Fi).
I just won’t expect too much :)

Enjoy.

BTW you have mis-spelt realise ;)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the key to enjoying the expensive, underperforming Bose system.
It is the key to "enjoying" any audio system in a car.

Earphones are a better choiuce for sound quality but, of course, listening on earphones whilst controlling a vehicle is dangerous so only good for passengers.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Earphones are a better choiuce for sound quality but, of course, listening on earphones whilst controlling a vehicle is dangerous so only good for passengers.
It's also not a good sign for your relationship if you drive with earphones with passagers :CWL:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's also not a good sign for your relationship if you drive with earphones with passagers :CWL:
Joking apart - 3 grandchildren in the car all listening to something different and me preferring quiet is not unusual here so they all have their earphones on!

I never do, I even feel vulnerable not being able to hear the environment around me when walking if I wear earphones, though there are "hear through" ones now, never mind, running, cycling or driving!
Sponsored

Last edited: