glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Your car has a SIM card built in for Porsche Connect data services. It is ALWAYS connected via the GSM cellular network (coverage notwithstanding): "Model year 2018 and onward vehicles have an embedded SIM card including data to use some Porsche Connect services."

Similarly, Tesla uses WiFi for OTA downloads if its available (like in your garage) but will fall back to GSM LTE if its not (on the road)... YOU don't download the update - the CAR does. You never even know its happening or how long it takes. You just find out when the car has finished its download, verified the contents, and is ready to apply the update.

If you are talking about the car PROVIDING a WiFi hotspot, that is a completely different thing and totally unrelated to the cars ability to download an OTA update...
:-D.. Thanks. I've had the model S for years (since 2017), and have developed software for 40+ years :-D, I was helping Tesla on the first API back in the 2010 Roadster days. Just curious to hear from Porsche on why there would not be a wifi CHIP in the car for connectivity. Cost is minimal, tech is trivial, obviously a strategic decision. Just curious why. Security? Just not enabled yet?
No hot spot needed, just connectivity for downloads and analytics.
Sponsored

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Cellular is not used.
I guarantee it is. I've received multiple software update pushes since I completely took mine off wifi, including at least one since it started spending 99% of its time in the garage.

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
:-D.. Thanks. I've had the model S for years (since 2017), and have developed software for 40+ years :-D, I was helping Tesla on the first API back in the 2010 Roadster days. Just curious to hear from Porsche on why there would not be a wifi CHIP in the car for connectivity. Cost is minimal, tech is trivial, obviously a strategic decision. Just curious why. Security? Just not enabled yet?
I just sent an email to top Porsche NA people to see if they have an answer for the WIFI connectivity issue.

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guarantee it is. I've received multiple software update pushes since I completely took mine off wifi, including at least one since it started spending 99% of its time in the garage.
How do you know when you get a software update on the Taycan? Are you seeing a version #?
thanks

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
porsche seems to feel “OTA” update means:

We’re going to use this nifty new technology called ”the internet web of things” to announce you need to visit a dealer - the announcement will be “Over the Air” OTA to tell you to visit your dealer where they will download the update via the dealer’s aol.com eMal address and copy it onto a stack of floppy disks, and which point they will plug in a floppy disk reader to the ODBII port and load the OTA update by having a technician feed 30 separate floppy’s to the proprietary Porsche ODBII floppy disk reader while the car reports the install process via it’s WiFi connection in the service bay to the TEchnican’s watch…very very 1990’s mixed with 2020 tech…

:rock::clap::angry::involve::fist bump::handsinair::muscle:

Porsche OTA update process shown below…

Porsche Taycan OTA Updates 2ABCD8B5-D690-4EE9-AE15-4AC6F285705A

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag

We’re going to use this nifty new technology called ”the internet web of things” to announce you need to visit a dealer - the announcement will be “Over the Air” OTA to tell you to visit your dealer where they will download the update via the dealer’s aol.com eMal address and copy it onto a stack of floppy disks, and which point they will plug in a floppy disk reader to the ODBII port and load the OTA update by having a technician feed 30 separate floppy’s to the proprietary Porsche ODBII floppy disk reader while the car reports the install process via it’s WiFi connection in the service bay to the TEchnican’s watch…very very 1990’s mixed with 2020 tech…

2ABCD8B5-D690-4EE9-AE15-4AC6F285705A.jpeg
Maybe they borrowed that modem that was built into the McLaren F1...

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

2ABCD8B5-D690-4EE9-AE15-4AC6F285705A.jpeg
Sums it up pretty well.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think there is a chip, at least according to GoodToKnow but likely not activated yet.
Porsche Taycan OTA Updates 6F5B2446-A456-4E43-A009-E8533441B4FD

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Just curious to hear from Porsche on why there would not be a wifi CHIP in the car for connectivity.
There is a WiFi chip in the car. It's definitely present, and you can even hook your phone to it. Plus, it talks to the PCM through that connection...
Sponsored