Paddle Shifters / Additional Dial On GT Model

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Anyone notice there were in fact two paddles on the car, and an xtra circular dial next to the drive mode?

Think the assumption was overboost feature, though not sure why there would be two paddles if it was just a boost situation.

Is it possible Porsche has engineered the first transmission-like shifting system for an electric drive? [rumored to debut with Ferrari]
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Think the assumption was overboost feature, though not sure why there would be two paddles if it was just a boost situation.
Paddles likely controlling amount of re-gen.

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The paddles could be used for brake regeneration. My etron gt had them for that exact reason.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The paddles could be used for brake regeneration. My etron gt had them for that exact reason.
I prefer using the brake pedal for regen personally.

I leave the lift-off regen at coast or sometimes the emulation of the lift off performance of an IC engined car - reassuringly familiar - but dislike un-familiar levels of deceleration on lift off, it took me long enough to stop being irritated by it on my lawnmower.

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I didn't mind the paddles. There were 2 different regen settings. I liked having the adjustability without having to move my hands away from the steering wheel.

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I like the idea of that. On my eGolf you can cycle through three modes of regen by moving the shifter left or right, but if you pull back on it, it goes to max regen. I treat it light I'm downshifting when coming into a corner and it works great. I agree with Porsche's philosophy of coasting and using the brake pedal for all slowing, but I like the idea of having active control over the levels of regen.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I prefer using the brake pedal for regen personally.

I leave the lift-off regen at coast or sometimes the emulation of the lift off performance of an IC engined car - reassuringly familiar - but dislike un-familiar levels of deceleration on lift off, it took me long enough to stop being irritated by it on my lawnmower.
Yeah it’s all such a new technology and could evolve further.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah it’s all such a new technology and could evolve further.
Indeed, but does it need to “evolve”?
I have been driving since I was 9 years old over 60 years ago and there was no evolution of the idea of accelerator and brake and I never felt a need for one.

I never once felt a car was hard to drive because of the convention and despite the simplicity of excecution with hydrostatic drive or a very basic electric motor setup one pedal driving is just that, the easy way out, technically.

I don’t see it as evolution in the literal sense of the word since it isn’t better, just different (and worse to my taste but everybody can make their own judgement on it for themselves)

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Indeed, but does it need to “evolve”?
I have been driving since I was 9 years old over 60 years ago and there was no evolution of the idea of accelerator and brake and I never felt a need for one.

I never once felt a car was hard to drive because of the convention and despite the simplicity of excecution with hydrostatic drive or a very basic electric motor setup one pedal driving is just that, the easy way out, technically.

I don’t see it as evolution in the literal sense of the word since it isn’t better, just different (and worse to my taste but everybody can make their own judgement on it for themselves)
Refinement perhaps is a better word. But eventually there will be a shift.

We won’t have ground based transports forever ; )

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Refinement perhaps is a better word. But eventually there will be a shift.

We won’t have ground based transports forever ; )
What!!! our legs are going to atrophy and we won’t be able to walk? ;)

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
For any who haven't tried them, the Audi regen paddles basically act as simulated engine braking. Think of the lower levels as driving around in normal (D) mode in an ICE and the higher regen as driving around in Sport mode. It's actually very intuitive and still allows the standard regen options.

No one pedal driving in the Audis either; happy for that on my part.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
What!!! our legs are going to atrophy and we won’t be able to walk? ;)
It anything people will have more time to walk, considering is the incredibly reduced travel times.

Porsche Taycan Paddle Shifters / Additional Dial On GT Model 0959D323-6CEE-4D54-9AB0-217B0294B0E6
Sponsored