PEC delivery

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. I was supposed to be on that boat, so if I am not, I will be seriously bummed (I finished production a month ago)
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd send an email to your dealer and PEC to ask about it.
yeah, just did.
Thanks for the info. I don't like pestering them, but this is new info. Glovis hasn't left yet, btw. Also, kind of weird that deliveries don't start until 3 weeks after arriving in the US. ugg.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
yeah, just did.
Thanks for the info. I don't like pestering them, but this is new info. Glovis hasn't left yet, btw. Also, kind of weird that deliveries don't start until 3 weeks after arriving in the US. ugg.
I think they need to leave a significant buffer for customs clearance.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think they need to leave a significant buffer for customs clearance.
This. You're usually looking at a 2-4 week delay on a PEC delivery over having it delivered to your dealership. PEC errs on the side of caution to keep their schedule clean and make sure people don't make plans and their car isn't ready; dealers want the cars sold & gone as soon as they arrive.

OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
We are going to cancel PEC now actually. Given where things are, seems incredibly high risk of it either shutting down or just not being a great experience.

Question: is it likely I can talk our dealer into routing the car to a dealer further up north? This dealer is in socal, I live up in northern California, so if they could have it come up with other cars to one of the bay area dealers, that would be way easier.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
We are going to cancel PEC now actually. Given where things are, seems incredibly high risk of it either shutting down or just not being a great experience.

Question: is it likely I can talk our dealer into routing the car to a dealer further up north? This dealer is in socal, I live up in northern California, so if they could have it come up with other cars to one of the bay area dealers, that would be way easier.
I mean, they can just deliver it to you for free or a few hundred bucks, depending on how much they like you. Porsche was reimbursing dealerships for delivery costs but not sure that's still happening.

If your question is if they'll let you buy it from a dealership near you instead of them.. uh.. no. They will require you to finalize the sale before sending it to you. But it's easy & fast to have it shipped directly to your door.

OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
I mean, they can just deliver it to you for free or a few hundred bucks, depending on how much they like you. Porsche was reimbursing dealerships for delivery costs but not sure that's still happening.

If your question is if they'll let you buy it from a dealership near you instead of them.. uh.. no. They will require you to finalize the sale before sending it to you. But it's easy & fast to have it shipped directly to your door.
So some dealerships are waiving costs to ship it? That would work.

I'm also fine prepaying for it to them then picking up at a nearby dealership.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

When is your scheduled delivery?

I am thinking of doing the same since I wonder if they will Need to cancel at the last minute.

Edit: My understanding is that the PEC is a pickup location, in that all the paperwork, payment, etc is done with the dealer before you show up.

I Expect they would be fine shipping the car to your house, but I would expect a charge for that, unless they waive due to covid.

I don’t think a dealership near your house would want to be involved since they don’t get paid

Last edited:
OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
We are on the glovis Sunrise, so its middle of the Antlantic right now, hitting Panama canal on 7/8.

PEC was 8/14, but I believe we can do without PEC late July?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We are on the glovis Sunrise, so its middle of the Antlantic right now, hitting Panama canal on 7/8.

PEC was 8/14, but I believe we can do without PEC late July?
I understand your concern after talking with the gentleman in charge of delivery experiences at PECLA. The process sounds greatly altered due to the pandemic. He did promise that he would do all he could to make it very special. As my car is not due to arrive till the end of October I am hoping for the situation to improve some with a smoother process. I guess I will get a fell in August and decide then.

Current PECLA changes understood:
  1. No professional driver in car with you, they are in a chase car with walkie talkies.
  2. Single delivery per day, but he stated that it was uncommon to do two deliveries in a day even before the pandemic.
  3. Restaurant 917 is closed and they will bring a catered lunch into the room with your delivery for your party up to 6 people but due to table space, 4 would be more comfortable.
There is prep that needs to be done after it comes off the ship. I really feel that the folks at PECLA would likely be the best trained at handling it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So some dealerships are waiving costs to ship it? That would work.

I'm also fine prepaying for it to them then picking up at a nearby dealership.
Sorry, I don't think I was clear. No other dealership will accept delivery of your car or help you in any way with the transaction.

PEC is probably a bad idea right now. Your other options are to pick it up at the dealership or have them ship it to your home. They may or may not waive shipping or give you a discount if you ask nicely, but in the end they have every right to charge you the cost of transport.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I understand your concern after talking with the gentleman in charge of delivery experiences at PECLA. The process sounds greatly altered due to the pandemic. He did promise that he would do all he could to make it very special. As my car is not due to arrive till the end of October I am hoping for the situation to improve some with a smoother process. I guess I will get a fell in August and decide then.

Current PECLA changes understood:
  1. No professional driver in car with you, they are in a chase car with walkie talkies.
  2. Single delivery per day, but he stated that it was uncommon to do two deliveries in a day even before the pandemic.
  3. Restaurant 917 is closed and they will bring a catered lunch into the room with your delivery for your party up to 6 people but due to table space, 4 would be more comfortable.
There is prep that needs to be done after it comes off the ship. I really feel that the folks at PECLA would likely be the best trained at handling it.
The current PEC changes will greatly diminish the driving/track portion of the experience. My original build had the PEC Atlanta delivery option. However as one of the first Taycan allocations in the US, Porsche NA informed the dealer that PEC delivery was not available until mid 2020. I was disappointed, but fortunately the dealership where I ordered the car in Connecticut was awesome and arranged for the driving experience session for me at Porsche PEC Atlanta in February before the COVID-19 lock down. There was a meal at the cafe, a Q and A with the product and marketing team, a tour of the museum, a walk through where the cars are staged for PEC deliveries, and the track session with the instructor in a Taycan Turbo S with me. It was raining, but with the instructor in the car he continued to have me push the envelope to the feel how well the car performs at its limits. I cannot imagine how the same will be accomplished with him/her in a separate vehicle (fyi, I have done Porsche events at race tracks with follow the leader with the instructor in the lead car with walkie talkies - it is definitely not the same). At the end of the session at PEC Atlanta, the instructor did some hot laps with me in the passenger seat. Absolutely crazy being in the passenger seat with the instructor driving. The experience was terrific but mainly because of the instructor in the same car.

Since my Taycan could not be delivered to PEC Atanta, I was contemplating having the dealer ship my car to my house in Georgia, but in the end I took delivery in Connecticut and drove the car to Georgia. It was the best way to get to know the car and to experience a long distance drive in my first EV.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag