Personal Question

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Planning to buy a Tesla or a Bollinger next year
Country flag
Just asking to see what people think their needs are.

What is the minimum range you need in the Taycan? Is 200 miles enough, 250 miles, 300 miles.

I am sure a range of 300 miles will meet just about everybody's needs, but I wonder what the min. range people would accept in this type of sports car.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Yes I am a Tesla fan, but I really am asking an honest question because I don't know what the real needs are.)
Sponsored

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
I’m hoping around 400- 500 useable kilometres. Less would not be very ideal in Canada, especially with vast distances between cities outside of Vancouver here.
If I say, I wish to travel from my house to even part way in lower BC to the Okanagan ( a popular summer retreat) we are looking at 300 kilometres. A perfectly feasible distance for a fuel burning vehicle, but it’s also the minimum I’d need to travel to my next charging point that’s not immediately outside my own city.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
In my case a range of approximatively 400 "real" km would do the job. I have the chance that Switzerland is like a small town compared to United States or Canada.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
In my case a range of approximatively 400 "real" km would do the job. I have the chance that Switzerland is like a small town compared to United States or Canada.
400 would be nice and about what I expect with normal driving.

Reactions: TIM

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I think we all feel that range is not a worry but a need, at least us who already drive electric. Just like a small tank is problematic on a ICE car a short range is problematic since even if you can charge, the time spent doing it becomes unproductive...... and frankly boring. So the longer real life range you have, the fewer charging shackles that tie you down....... So if the Taycan only has 200 or even 250 real world range I would stay with Tesla since they are now up to almost 300 miles real world range...... and when you drive spirited then your down to between 200-250...... so if the Taycan wants to compete it needs similar numbers because you only drive flat out a few weekends a year....... sad it is.... :)

Last edited:

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My use will be as an around town daily driver. 300 miles would be OK.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Here is my take. In the US the charging stations will be few at least for several years, and non compatible with the Tesla charging. So IMO the Taycan needs at least a 300 mile range to both compensate for lack of charging facilities and to compete with the Tesla. When I went to the Porsche Experience for a Taycan presentation many of the folks there were current Tesla owners looking to switch to the Mission E, much of the mule Taycan info was not available at that time.
I seriously doubt with all the dumbing down on the appearance from the Mission E to the Taycan that the range being down from a projected 310 to something considerable less that those Tesla owners will switch to the Taycan. So Porsche needs to hold to as many of their projections as possible or US sales will likely suffer in the near term. Early cars may go fast as that is the new thing but cars after the first wave may fall off substantially.
I could be wrong as I have no experience in marketing cars, just my gut feelings.:)

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
I strongly feel the Audi with 590hp and 258 miles is what we will get the “4s” Porsche.
This is with an 90kwh battery.

Less would be financial suicide in my eyes for the price I’m guessing it will be.
Sponsored