First Name
SBS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag i-pace, Tesla model 3
Country flag
Hi all,

Super excited that my 4S is with the dealer and I am scheduled to take delivery on Saturday. Would appreciate your feedback on a few questions.

I. It was a custom configuration - doesn't seem like I can get much discount to MSRP right?
2. Would you consider the XPEL Clear Bra that the dealer is recommending?
3. I did see the "what to prepare checklist". I have an electric Jag and Tesla already at home. Does a 40AMP fuse work for the Taycan?
4. I intend to take the Wheel&Rim additional warranty (from my past experiences) - any feedback on that.
5. The dealer is trying to get me to prepay the second year service at $700 dollars - seems weird to me. Just wondering about that as well.

Thanks so much. Appreciate all the help from the forums (from helping me with the configuration - to tracking my ship across the Atlantic)

Best
Bhu
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My answers, as I just picked up a 4S:

I. It was a custom configuration - doesn't seem like I can get much discount to MSRP right?
I did not get any discount. However, it really depends on your region, as some people have been able to get a little concession here and there. Most seem to be content with getting better pricing on the extras like XPEL, ceramic coating, wheel warranties, etc.

Yes. But I kind of prefer a front half of car (or whole car) XPEL. But I understand the protection desire. I didn't take it, however.

3. I did see the "what to prepare checklist". I have an electric Jag and Tesla already at home. Does a 40AMP fuse work for the Taycan?
Yes. If it charges your Jag, it can charge your Taycan.

4. I intend to take the Wheel&Rim additional warranty (from my past experiences) - any feedback on that.
I did as well. Really need to do it in my area, as roads can get bad in spots. I had it bundled with a Key Replacement, Paintless Dent Repair, and Ceramic Coat.

5. The dealer is trying to get me to prepay the second year service at $700 dollars - seems weird to me. Just wondering about that as well.
I don't know anything about this. Not even sure what service is involved. Wheel alignment?

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Since you are picking up on Saturday a custom build, I don’t think you have any room to negotiate a discount off MSRP. The time to negotiate was before the order is placed. You may, however, get them to throw in soon extras (winter mats or a car cover for example).

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Hi all,

Super excited that my 4S is with the dealer and I am scheduled to take delivery on Saturday. Would appreciate your feedback on a few questions.

Thanks so much. Appreciate all the help from the forums (from helping me with the configuration - to tracking my ship across the Atlantic)

Best
Bhu
Here's my take on your questions:

1) If the car is custom and already at the dealer I suspect you have little leverage, and they have little incentive to discount. They know you want the car. Having said that, it does not hurt to ask. Even if they don't discount MSRP they may be able to throw in some things, like mats, tire protection, XPEL or even Porsche/Taycan swag. I suspect as long as you have a reasonable ask you'll come away with more than nothing

2) Absolutely - but I wouldn't get it through the dealer. I'd find a reputable shop near you that does work on exotics and high-end cars and have it done through them directly. You'll likely end up with a much better job and for less money than going through the dealer (who gets a cut) who either does the work themselves - where it's not their core competency - or they farm it out to a low bidder. If you let me know where you are in PA I may be able to scare up a recommendation for you

3) Not sure what you mean by 40a fuse. If you mean a 40a J1772 charger, then yes, it will work fine. If you mean a 40a outlet of some type, it will also work fine as long as you have the correct pigtail from the outlet to the PMCC. The PMCC comes with an NEMA 14-50 plug by default, which requires a 50a breaker.

4) I opted not to take it. The one my dealer offered didn't cover wheel rash, and I just cant see needing to replace TWO wheels or multiple tires over the next five years just to break even. Back to question 1 though, see if you can get them to throw this in

5) Never heard of this, but I would say hard pass. I'm not sure there *is* any second year service specified by Porsche for the Taycan

Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP

sbs

First Name
SBS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag i-pace, Tesla model 3
Country flag
Here's my take on your questions:

1) If the car is custom and already at the dealer I suspect you have little leverage, and they have little incentive to discount. They know you want the car. Having said that, it does not hurt to ask. Even if they don't discount MSRP they may be able to throw in some things, like mats, tire protection, XPEL or even Porsche/Taycan swag. I suspect as long as you have a reasonable ask you'll come away with more than nothing

2) Absolutely - but I wouldn't get it through the dealer. I'd find a reputable shop near you that does work on exotics and high-end cars and have it done through them directly. You'll likely end up with a much better job and for less money than going through the dealer (who gets a cut) who either does the work themselves - where it's not their core competency - or they farm it out to a low bidder. If you let me know where you are in PA I may be able to scare up a recommendation for you

3) Not sure what you mean by 40a fuse. If you mean a 40a J1772 charger, then yes, it will work fine. If you mean a 40a outlet of some type, it will also work fine as long as you have the correct pigtail from the outlet to the PMCC. The PMCC comes with an NEMA 14-50 plug by default, which requires a 50a breaker.

4) I opted not to take it. The one my dealer offered didn't cover wheel rash, and I just cant see needing to replace TWO wheels or multiple tires over the next five years just to break even. Back to question 1 though, see if you can get them to throw this in

5) Never heard of this, but I would say hard pass. I'm not sure there *is* any second year service specified by Porsche for the Taycan

Congratulations and good luck!

Thanks for this - I live outside Philly if you have any recommendation on the XPEL..

Also the dealer is charging me $119 for putting in Nitrogen in the tires - should I do that?

Many tx

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks for this - I live outside Philly if you have any recommendation on the XPEL..

Also the dealer is charging me $119 for putting in Nitrogen in the tires - should I do that?

Many tx
My car came with nitrogen from the factory - or so I assume from the green valve stem caps. In any event, your dealer seems intent on fleecing you with nickel-and-dime nonsense. I would pass on Nitrogen. It's not that big of a deal and it's debatable if it makes any meaningful difference at all. See https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html for some additional perspective.

I'll send you a private message with an Xpel referral when I get a moment.

Brent

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
My car came with nitrogen from the factory - or so I assume from the green valve stem caps. In any event, your dealer seems intent on fleecing you with nickel-and-dime nonsense. I would pass on Nitrogen. It's not that big of a deal and it's debatable if it makes any meaningful difference at all. See https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html for some additional perspective.

I'll send you a private message with an Xpel referral when I get a moment.

Brent
I've been filling my cars' tires with a 78% Nitrogen mix for years, and it seems to work pretty well...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I've been filling my cars' tires with a 78% Nitrogen mix for years, and it seems to work pretty well...
Nitrogen's only significant benefit is the lack of moisture due to processing. Use a dryer with your compressor and achieve the same effect. Or fill your tires on low-humidity days if you do not have a dryer. Or ask the nice guys at Costco to add air to your tires (they use nitrogen).
Sponsored