PMCC vs Dedicated Wall EVSE

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I have reviewed numerous threads on this topic (especially Roadwarrior kit and Ditch the PMCC) and have been trying to decide. Should I just keep the PMCC and have a NEMA 14-50 socket installed or should I get a ClipperCreek or Juicebox 48A dedicated charger that is installed directly into the wall.

My car comes at the end of October and I'm trying to decide. I don't have any other electric cars.

PMCC
Pros:
1. I already bought it as it was a requirement in the U.S.
2. It does work and was recommended by the dealership.

Cons:
1. Apparently doesn't get more than 40A or around 9.6 kW although i hear it may be possible to go higher
2. Clunky interface that isn't intuitive
3. Cable runs hot, especially if running over 32A

Juicebox 60 or Clipper Creek HSC 60
Pros:
1. 48 A (11.5 kW) means max charging rate available to MY2020 Taycan
2. ClipperCreek just works
3. Juicebox mobile app interface is far superior to PMCC in simplicity
4. Runs much cooler than PMCC at max charging rate

Cons:
1. Will have to spend additional $600-900 to get yet another charger
2. ClipperCreek has no app interface (that may be a positive depending on how you look at it).

What's the jury, just keep the PMCC or ditch it and get the Juicebox or ClipperCreek?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
get the 60 amp (48 amp charger) for the garage - and use the PMCC as a mobile charger that you keep in the car.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
So far, after three days, am perfectly happy with the PMCC with a NEMA 6-50 plug, Hubbell industrial receptacle, #6-gauge wire run, and Siemens circuit breaker. Nothing gets too hot to hold at 82 degrees ambient and a 40 amp rate.

And the PMCC has performed flawlessly for us, except for taking a long time to update its firmware. No trouble controlling the charging from my iPhone 11 MAX or from the car. I did take painstaking care to ensure MyPorsche, Porsche Connect, and the car all had personal information, passwords, and preferences that were identical. Some of our information went back to Germany from a 2011 delivery in Stuttgart and suspect it caused some initial login and country problems. Also, Porsche email login names must be lower case (some parts of their system are legacy), passwords must be no more than 16 characters, and ! is the only special character allowed.
Porsche Taycan PMCC vs Dedicated Wall EVSE IMG_0145

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@wmras nice install - with the supply cable in open air it will run much cooler - congrats…

also given the conduit - upgrading to a 60 amp charger should be trivial if you ever decide to go that route!!
Sponsored